Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 25, 2019, 02:29:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PSP piss-poor button design "wasn't a mistake"  (Read 4119 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
PSP piss-poor button design "wasn't a mistake"
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:08:59 AM »

Maybe you've read about or seen this picture:

Picture!

Don't worry, this was intentional, according to SCE president Ken Kutaragi (at gamespot.com):

"This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Whew, that's good to know. I thought they'd really screwed up.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: PSP piss-poor button design "wasn't a mistake"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »

When 4,800 gamers have sent it in for repairs, you have made a mistake.

Idiots.

If you have a cluster of four buttons, you shouldn't have to press one harder than the others.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 10:19:57 AM »

which users and game software developers will have to adapt to.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! This is not the thought process you use when developing something. It has to comfortable and user-friendly above all else.  The controls should feel intuitive and responsive right out the of box.  All design ideas that go into the PSP should be secondary to this.

Cane Corso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 11:59:22 AM »

I agree.  I think I will hold off purchasing at launch and take a "wait and see" approach.  I picked up a DS this weekend so I can wait... 
-Todd Harlan

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 07:02:56 AM »

I agree.  I think I will hold off purchasing at launch and take a "wait and see" approach. 

After hearing this news (first I've heard of it) I will definately be waiting to see what happens and avoiding launch at all costs.  :-\

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 07:36:32 AM »

I am shocked that this is not going to be corrected.  Who wants to purchase a piece of hardware that is flawed on the design table?  Nintendo should get alot of mileage out of this situation, as they have bent over backwards to repair any issues with their DS.  I have been very excited to read reports on the PSP over the last few months, but this dampens my enthusiasm completely.  I'll wait for the US PSP machines to be out for a few months before taking the plunge.  It will be interesting to see what happens here.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:02:04 AM »

Not like there's nothing to spend my money on in March anyway.  A wait and see approach makes even more sense now.

J.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 10:00:13 AM »

I'm torn.  I really want to play a lot of Mercury, and I've got lots of trade credit burning a hole in my pocket.  I'm probably going to try to hold out for a while.

Sony is obviously going to lose some sales over this.  The DS is a really nice, solid, well put together and well designed system.

If the print mags cover this (how can they not?), I think many likely buyers will defer or cancel their purchases.  $200 is a lot of money for a system with a substantial design flaw.  I don't think a $70-$100 system like a gameboy would be as affected by such a shortcoming.

Of course, the system will still sell out initially because supply is far below demand...they could lose 20% of their early adopters and probably still sell out.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »

I found this review of Lumines interesting:

However, there are a few problems which it's important to mention - most notably the fact that the game is very buggy. It seems to be incapable of handling the UMD disc mechanism properly, and on several occasions it's reached the end of one "skin" and failed to load the next one, followed by hanging the console when it reached the end of the game and tried to load the menu. It also exhibits this behaviour whenever you suspend and resume a game, which is a real pain, and it's pretty amazing that this bug wasn't encountered by Bandai prior to release - we can only assume that the title was rushed through QA for launch, and hope that it's improved for its debut in the west, assuming of course we ever get to see a Western release.

I have to wonder if it was really a hardware problem and not a game bug...

Good review, though.

IGN's letter's page responds:

It was an odd statement. As with everything that comes from foreign interviews, I'd caution people to be wary for little differences in how translations carry over, but in this case, it's pretty explicit that players are pushing the buttons wrong. I'm not really sure what to say to that end -- the buttons are buttons, except for that the square button is butted right up against the screen inside the hardware (which makes it harder to push, slow to pop back up, and a little squeaky), and even that's hardly an issue from our play sessions (although we have heard of people getting that button stuck down, and the slow return up is problematic in fighters.) If you push sideways on it, it responds like a button pushed sideways on any controller -- maybe it'll contact the contact pad, maybe not, usually so. You kind of have to get a feeling for the button and the circumstance of it to know whether it's a problem to you -- except for it being a bad button for mashing in Darkstalkers Chronicle, it's been more than functional to us -- so you might want to get a play of the system in before you write it off.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 11:00:47 AM »

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 11:39:37 AM »

Apparently Americanís are too stupid

Please, say no more...
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 12:07:05 PM »

Apparently Americanís are too stupid

Who could argue with that?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 01:34:37 PM »

Anyone who know's grammar.
Albert Schweitzer