Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:34:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Simpsons Discussion  (Read 21416 times)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
The Simpsons Discussion
« on: March 27, 2006, 10:27:43 AM »

I can't believe this thread doesn't already exist.  Jeremy, asleep at the switch?   ;)

Anyways, I thought last night's episode was one of the best in a long time.  I think Ricky Gervais should be hired as a full time writer.  Perhaps that is what the series needs, a real comedy writer not someone with a fancy degree (no offence to any one with a fancy degree).  One of my favourite parts was Homer and Dan Castellaneta arguing with each other at the Fox studios.  It had me laughing from start to finish. 

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Simpsons Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »

I can't believe this thread doesn't already exist.  Jeremy, asleep at the switch?

Heh....although I do enjoy discussing The Simpsons (I've mentioned it occassionally in different threads), I haven't been watching the episodes enough over the last couple of seasons to make an accurate assessment of the quality.  I have all the episodes from the current season on my computer and I'll have last night's episode shortly.  I noticed yesterday that Ricky Gervais was credited with writing the episode - pretty cool!  Thanks for the impressions, Sean.  I'll make a point of watching it tonight and report back. :)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »

I haven't been watching the episodes enough over the last couple of seasons to make an accurate assessment of the quality. 

I don't really blame you there.  While there have been some good episodes, not a lot of truly memorable moments like in the earlier seasons.  Maybe we can all use this thread to share our favourite (or not so favourite) Simpsons moments.  My least favourite would be Homer making out with himself in the same sex marriage episode.  Rather disturbing to watch really.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »

"Outta my way, I'm Hitler!"
 - Bart Simpson
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »

Never saw it - any good?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »

It's the episode where circus carnies (one played by Jim Varney) claim the Simpsons home by squatting in it.
The quote is at the beginning where the carnival has Hitler's personal car on display. Bart sneaks into the car and slides it into gear. As it's rolling down the ramp he yells "Outta my way, I'm Hitler!"

The episode was so-so. The quote had me ROTF. (ok, maybe just LOL...)   ;D  Season Nine - "Bart Carny"
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:34:41 PM »

Never saw it - any good?

Chances are someone who doesn't watch The Simpsons has accidently seen an episode.  It's just abnormal that you've never watched it.  There, I said it. ;)

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »

Never saw it - any good?

Bryan, please tell me you just forgot to add the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags there.   ;) 

I have so many favorites from this show, way too many to name but off the top of my head is an episode where Homer blows up the church with Bart's rocket:

Marge-"This is the worst thing you've ever done!"
Homer-"You say that so much the words have lost all meaning."

This is definitely my favorite television show of all time.  Last night's episode was very funny (I had forgotten about Homer arguing with Dan, brillant!)  Lisa the Vegetarian is one of my many favorite episodes.  I really felt they came into their own around Season Four (although most fans think Season Three) and it's be up and down since then. 

Or the one where Homer creates a bowling league:

Bart-"Oh these uniforms suck!"
Marge-"Bart!  Where do you pick up words like that?"
Homer (on phone with Moe)-"Yeah that team sure sucked last night.  They just plain sucked.  I've seen teams suck before, but those were the suckiest bunch of sucks whoever sucked."
Marge-"Homer! Watch your language!"
Homer-"I have to go Moe, my damn weiner kids are listening."

Or from the same episode where Homer tries to get $500 to start the league:

Marge-"No I will not pay you $500 for sex!"
Homer-"Come on Marge, you get something in return and I get my bowling team.  It's win win!"
Marge-"It's sick!  And I don't have that kind of money to spend on sex."

Classic!
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

Here's two posts of mine from the DVD Purchases thread.

The halcyon days for The Simpsons (for me anyway) were seasons 4 - 6.  Season 6 (out tomorrow!) ended with 'Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part I', an absolutely brilliant cliffhanger and probably my favorite episode overall.  The resolution to that at the start of season 7 was alright, but not great.

Seasons 2 and 3 also have some brilliant episodes like Dead Putting Society (S2), Homer vs. Lisa And The 8th Commandment (S2), Three Men And A Comic Book (S2), Bart the Murderer (S3), Flaming Moe's (S3), Radio Bart (S3) and Homer at the Bat (S3).  I'd wager that I've seen every episode from seasons 2 - 9 between five and ten times.  I can quote many portions word for word.  Sad?  Yes.

I enjoyed seasons 7 - 9 quite a bit as well but after that the show did begin to slide.  I have all the season 16 episodes but haven't even watched them all yet.

Just to give you an idea of my obsession, I have, in VCD format every episode from seasons 1 - 11 (around 280 episodes including the halloween specials).  This was before the days of DivX, bittorrent and inexpensive DVD burners.  It took me between 1.5 - 2 years to complete and involved recording each episode onto my computer, editing out the commercials then burning them, in order, onto CDs.  VCD compliant MPEG1 files were around 220MB per episode so I could fit 3 episodes on a CD.  As I recall, I still didn't have Homer vs. New York City (one of the last ones I needed) at the time of 9/11 and that episode was a real bitch to get as nobody showed it for the longest time.  I still have the CDs and I certainly don't regret doing it.  It was more a labour of love than anything.  I could edit the commercials out of an episode so fast you wouldn't believe it.

Just looking at how far things have come now, it's amazing.  I used to fit 3 episodes on a single CD at 352x288 (MPEG1).  The quality was okay but nothing great (plus I got most of them off cable, so the source wasn't the best).  Now, I can fit an entire season (typically 22 to 24 episodes) on a single DVD at 512x384 (DivX) that kick the crap out of VCDs in the quality department.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »

In semi-related news, did you guys know that Futurama is coming back for 24 episodes?

I'll watch the Gervais episode this week.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »

In semi-related news, did you guys know that Futurama is coming back for 24 episodes?

WOW!  Last I heard, they were planning to do several direct-to-video movies and that the cast was to start voice recording this summer.  Thanks for the news!

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »

Nope, never seen an episode. 
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »

WOW!  Last I heard, they were planning to do several direct-to-video movies and that the cast was to start voice recording this summer.  Thanks for the news!

Billy West updated his message board a couple of weeks ago and said that the plan is now for 24 eps instead of the movies.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »

Billy West updated his message board a couple of weeks ago and said that the plan is now for 24 eps instead of the movies.
He recanted this in a statement made the day after I believe.

http://billywest.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2020&PN=1

I'm sorry I gave inaccurate info on the cartoon. I was told on one end that the TV show was a go but DXC enlightened me (with a hammer) that this was not the case. I think there is a Futurama project as in DVD's but I appearently had bad info. But I do live to give good Futurama news to people. So I must've died or something.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 01:55:57 PM »

Well, shit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8