Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 05:00:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Teh Bias Book Club  (Read 47623 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: Teh Bias Book Clubb
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 11:46:42 PM »

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Mark Haddon
Fiction
Coming of age story
226 pages

This is a very unique tale told from the perspective of a 15 year old autistic boy. One night he finds his neighbors' dog dead and he subsequently decides to solve the mystery of who killed it. The writing style gives great insight into what it must be like to live with autism. The main character is likable, intelligent, and resourceful. His "hero's journey" is incredibly simple, but fascinating.

Rating: the square root of 25 out of 5

Similar titles: A quote on the back of the book reads: "Think of The Sound and the Fury crossed with The Catcher in the Rye and one of Oliver Sacks's real-life stories." The obvious question is "Is this like Rainman?" I'd have to say it's similar in structure because it does have a hero's journey format, but the two lead characters are quite different.

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 09:48:41 AM »

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I really like this book.  I got clued into it early on by Cory over at BoingBoing, bought the hardcover, and greatly enjoyed it.  The protagonist is fascinating, the supporting characters are realistic, and the outcome isn't the tidy wrap-up you see in so many western novels.  This book feels like real life, and it's a breath of fresh air.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 10:10:35 AM »

I bought "The Curious Incident..." on CD for my wife for Xmas. I'll give it a listen myself.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »

I could see this making a very good audiobook.  I'm half tempted to join audible.com and pick up the WMA version for $10 and listen to it with my Rio Karma.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »

What about all the maps and diagrams you'd be missing out on?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 11:11:53 AM »

What about all the maps and diagrams you'd be missing out on?

Oops, good point.  The things I forget after a year and a half.  Yeah, you'd need some supplemental material. 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »

Actually, now that I think about it I'm not so sure the diagrams are that integral to the story. It's not like Angels & Demons where seeing the "fire, water..etc." designs really helped tell the story.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »

You're just fucking with him now, aren't you Pieter?

:P
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »

The truth is I'm the worlds most indecisive person. You can call me Capt. Second-Guesses Himself! :-\

Now I'm worried that I might have missed a lot of good visual aids by listening to "She Comes First" instead of reading the book. Idiot!

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »

Bone
Jeff Smith
Fiction - Graphic Novel
Fantasy Adventure
1300 pages

This ambitious adventure was published in 50-odd comic book issues over the last decade, but it was always designed as a single story.   Three odd 'Bone' cousins find themselves lost in a strange valley populated by humans.   They make friends and get caught up in some minor misadventures, but evil is afoot and soon the fate of known humanity lies in the balance.

I didn't learn to read from children's picture books, but from Donald and Scrooge adventure comics written by Carl Barks.   Merge Carl Barks and Tolkien's Middle-Earth, and you'd get something a bit like Bone.   Unlike the 'funny books' you read as a kid, heros die and they don't come back.   Likeable characters and humorous writing make this one of my favorite adventures.

Rating:  9 out of 10

Soon to be a series of point-and-click 3D-engine adventure games from former Sam & Max developers at Telltale Games.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 07:06:49 PM »

Belly Laughs
Jenny McCarthy
Non-Fiction
Pregnancy guide
165 pages

With my wife going through her first pregnancy the house is filled with a wide assortment of pregnancy books... this one was the shortest, so I'm starting with it. Lucky for me it was very entertaining and mildly informative. McCarthy's selling point is that she discloses all the embarrasing or gross aspects of pregnancy no one talks about. Some of the book is obvious (pregnanat women get fat), but much of it was news to me (pooping during labor). Most of the 165 pages are spent discussing the negatives of pregnancy, but McCarthy clearly loved the experience and writes surprisingly well of her love for her son.

Rating: Funny & informative, exactly what I was hoping for.

Similar titles: What to Expect When You're Expecting

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »

Gee, it must get lonely for you in here, Pieter. Haven't you noticed we don't truck with no book larnin'?

I skimmed through Belly Laughs in Borders a few weeks ago. Very funny stuff and a nicely-different perspective on pregnancy. McCarthy (or her ghostwriter) has a good voice. She also has a sequel out, Baby Laughs. I'm sure it's too late, but don't let your wife take "What to Expect..." too seriously. If there is some way to paint a horrible picture of pregnancy or make a woman feel inadequate, it's in there.

My father reviews books for Publisher's Weekly, so he gets an early look at upcoming novels (Elmore Leonard's latest is apparently his best since Get Shorty) and sometimes passes them along to me. I just finished "The Traveler" by John Twelve Hawks (a pseudonym). It's the first of a trilogy and I think it would appeal to Da Vinci Code fans. Society is subtly controlled by the Tabula, a secret Illuminati-like organization that keeps the citizenry in check via the Vast Machine of computers, security cameras, terrorism legislation, etc. Battling against the Tabula are the Travelers, who can transport their souls to other dimensions, and the Harlequins, their sword-wielding protectors. There's a lot of action, ancient secret societies, good vs. evil, contemporary politics, etc. Keep an eye out for it in June.

Interesting marketing website

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

Does the McCarthy book address fake titties and breastfeeding?    I've always wondered it that caused problems.

The Traveler sounds like it could be up my guilty pleasure alley.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

Jenny did not breastfeed, I think more to preserve their appearance than problems with implants. Her account of the agony this caused is quite funny, as are her descriptions of her breasts--her beautiful, beautiful breasts--gradually changing into teats more suited to National Geographic than Playboy. And let's not forget the pooping stories!

Your "guilty pleasure alley"?  ::)  Sometimes you make this too easy.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »

Sometimes you make this too easy.

Only to a sicko that could find a double entendre in a Sesame Street episode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18