Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:47:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Teh Bias Book Club  (Read 47566 times)

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: Teh Bias Book Club
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »

Just finished A Game of Thrones.  Enjoyed the book quite a bit.  The show is actually pretty faithful to it for the most part.  Definitely glad it was made into a series as opposed to a movie.  I'm going to wait until after the second season to start the next book though.

Do you prefer to watch a movie/series and then read the book it was based from? I am the exact opposite. If a movie/series comes out which interests me, I need to read the book before I watch it.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »

In all honesty, it depends usually on how soon before the movie/series comes out that I find out about it.  I didn't know what Game of Thrones was until a month or so before the show came out.   One reason I wait is so that when I'm watching the movie/series, I'm not thinking about all the stuff they left out.  However, the more I think about it with Game of Thrones, I'll probably give in and just read the books.  Don't know if I can wait for each season to read a new book.  :)

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

In all honesty, it depends usually on how soon before the movie/series comes out that I find out about it.  I didn't know what Game of Thrones was until a month or so before the show came out.   One reason I wait is so that when I'm watching the movie/series, I'm not thinking about all the stuff they left out.  However, the more I think about it with Game of Thrones, I'll probably give in and just read the books.  Don't know if I can wait for each season to read a new book.  :)

Also, "if/when" they get approval from HBO to adapat the third book, it will have to be split into two seasons.

The books are amazing, and the HBO adaptation was nothing short of stellar.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen of TehBias: I have read a book!
(well, technically not a 'whole' book but the whole thing isn't available)

You will have noticed (or maybe not) that I haven't been playing games much. Well, this is why*.

The Plant
by Stephen King

I'm a big SK fan and I have a bunch of his novels that I collected over the years. Back in 2000, he decided to experiment with a work in progress of his whereby he would release parts of a story for $1 each. These parts would be released as unprotected PDFs and if the number of paying customers vs. free downloads stayed at or above 75%, he'd keep going. Long story short, he released six parts totaling 270 pages and at the end he seemed reasonably satisfied with the results. I purchased everything that was released and read it shortly thereafter. I recently found the document on my computer and decided to re-read it since I had all but forgotten the plot. It's been nearly 12 twelve years since that experiment and I'm still waiting for the story to be completed.

The story revolves around struggling publishing house, Zenith House, that has less than a year before their parent company shuts them down for good. As the story begins, the main character, John Kenton, receives a letter from Carlos Detweiller offering a manuscript of a book titled, "True Tales of Demon Infestations," dealing with black magic and the occult. While not overly impressed, he reluctantly requests the manuscript. Upon receiving and reading it, he realizes there is no hope for it. More disturbing, however, are pictures that were included that appear to depict Detweiller removing the heart of an unknown man. Frightened, Kenton gets the police involved. This infuriates Detweiller who promises revenge. A week or so later, Kenton receives a small, sickly-looking ivy named Zenith from an unknown woman...

Even though this story is not finished, it's a fantastic read! It's told in epistolary format (look at me using big words!), told through a series of letters, office memos, diary entries and newspaper articles which allows for shifting perspectives and so on. It was very well done!

I don't feel as though I've wasted my time reading something that's not finished. The story ends in a very logical spot. The storylines for a couple of key characters are wrapped up, however there is still much story to be told.

Here's King's message at the end of Part 5 (December 2000):

Following next month’s installment of this story--next month’s very long installment of this story--The Plant will be going back into hibernation so that I can continue work on Black House (the sequel to The Talisman, written in collabo¬ration with Peter Straub). I also need to complete work on two new novels (the first, Dreamcatcher, will be available from Scribner’s next March) and see if I can’t get going on The Dark Tower again. And my agent insists I need to take a breather so that foreign translation and publication of The Plant--also in installments, also on the Net--can catch up with American publication. Yet don’t despair. The last time The Plant furled its leaves, the story remained dormant for nineteen years. If it could survive that, I’m sure it can survive a year or two while I work on other projects.

Part 6 is the most logical stopping point. In a traditional print book, it would be the end of the first long section (which I would probably call “Zenith Rising”). You will find a climax of sorts, and while not all of your questions will be answered--not yet, at least--the fates of several characters will be resolved.

Well, a lot more than 'a year or two' has passed, but considering he started writing it in 1982, there's still a chance he could finish it.

Here's hoping!

* Not exactly the whole truth, I've been busy with lots of other stuff, but I did read this in my spare time!

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #259 on: February 21, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen of TehBias: I have read a book!
(well, technically not a 'whole' book but the whole thing isn't available)

Only after me nagging suggesting that maybe you should read more.  :P

Also, don't let him tell you this is why he hasn't been gaming much. It's really because he has taken up cross-stitching. ;)

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »

9) Three Lilies and Three Leopards by Tad Williams - This was a terrific novella by one of my favorite authors. It's quite funny as well. You might get more out of it if you are familiar with Poul Anderson's works, but it's certainly not necessary. Also you can read it for free right here: LINK 9/10

10) John Carter: A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - Kind of cool to read a sci-fi book written in 1912. Burroughs had a great imagination and this was a fun tale of adventure. Yes, it's dated in many ways, but it was still an enjoyable read. 8/10

11) Shadow Ops: Control Point by Myke Cole - This was a really cool debut novel. It's military sci-fi but with a fantasy twist. One blurb describes it as Black Hawk Down meets the X-Men and it's pretty accurate. The author has had a career in both mercenary work and official military so the writing is very believable, and the action is awesome. It's set in the near future when people start displaying magical abilities. (think mutants in the x-men) He needs to work on his characterization skills...especially with the hero who for about 80 pages in the middle of the book vacillates so much in his beliefs that you just want to smack him upside the head. Overall though, it was a great read and I definitely look forward to him continuing the series. 7/10

12) And Ministers of Grace by Tad Williams - This was a pretty cool short story about a guy named Lamentation Kane. It's sci-fi and about the battle between two star systems...one of which is highly religious and the other is pure science. Kane is an assassin for God. Pretty cool setup, but it read more like the first chapter of something larger. 7/10

13) A Stark and Wormy Knight by Tad Williams - This was a fun little short story about a mother dragon relating a story to her baby about his grandfather's exploits with trying to eat a princess and escape the wrath of the knight sent to slay him. 8/10

Now Reading The Windup Girl by Paolo Pacigalupi.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

14) The Windup Girl by Paolo Pacigalupi - This sci fi novel won a couple prestigious sci-fi literary awards. I'm still not really sure what to make of it. There were some interesting ideas in the novel, but I was really bothered by the fact that it is never explained how things go to the state that they are in. Definitely not really a book that will stick with me. 7/10

15) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - This YA sci fi novel seems to be all the rage right now in pop culture and with the movie coming out I wanted to read it. I'm glad I did. It's an excellent story. Sure parts of it have been done before in other works, but you can say that about most anything. The writing was very crisp and I liked the characters. I'll definitely be reading the other two books in the series. 9/10

16) The Storm Door by Tad Williams - This short story is about a supernatural investigator and demons coming back from the beyond to take people over. It had a little bit of it's own thing going on, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before, and the writing here just didn't seem to be up to par for a Tad story. 6/10

17) The Strangers Hands by Tad Williams - This short story was really good. A fantasy setting about an evil wizard who essentially becomes an imbecile, but has the ability to give out a person's deepest desire merely by touching their hands. I liked it. 8/10

18) We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance - by David Howarth - This true story was written back in 1955. It's an amazing story about the power of the human spirit. It all begins with a mission for four Norwegians who have been trained in England and are sneaking in to Norway to destroy an airfield. Everything goes to shit right from the beginning, and what follows is the telling of how one of the men managed to escape and then eventually with the help of many others make it to Sweden and back to safety. Literally couldn't put this one down. 10/10

Now Reading The Righteous by Michael Wallace.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »

Just finished A Clash of Kings.  After watching the first season without reading the book first, I'm curious to see how I'll enjoying watching this season after reading the book and knowing what's going to happen.  There were a few things in the first season that shocked me when watching it, which I really enjoyed. 

Either way, I'll be reading the rest of the books probably before season three even starts, especially since its going to be split into two seasons.

With respect to the books, it's funny how some character's chapters I couldn't care less about when I see there name at the beginning of it and others I get really excited about.  Tyrion was my favourite in this book, and Catelyn/Sansa were my least.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2012, 08:12:30 PM »

Ready Player One

I finally got around to reading this after hearing lots of good stuff about it.  This book is written for geeks about geeks and I loved it!  It takes place in 2044 and the world has, of course, gone to shit, but for economical reasons, not an apocalypse.  The Steve Jobs of the time, who has created a Second Life type game called the OASIS, has just died.  Instead of leaving his fortune to someone, he has hidden it in his game as an Easter Egg.  Halliday, the creator, grew up as a geek/nerd in the 80s, so the hunt is filled with references to things from the 80s from games to music to movies.  It was a great nostalgic trip for me too as I read it. 

I highly recommend this to all of you, especially if you're looking for a quick read. 

Now I'm going to read Robopocalypse, based on Dave's recommendation.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »

19) The Righteous by Michael Wallace - This was a fairly standard thriller about a murder that takes place in a Mormon Cult outside of Vegas. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible. One of those quick filler reads. 5/10

20) The Thursday Men by Tad Williams - This is a short story with the main character of Hellboy from the comics. Really enjoyable and dealt with beings from another dimension that can only access ours at a specific point on a specific day. Excellent storytelling. 9/10

21) Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey - This is a good old fashioned space opera, set far enough in the future that humanity has colozined Mars and some local asteroid belts, but still hasn't really gone out and expanded to the stars. It has two storylines that eventually intersect. One of them is about a detective and is almost noir, and the other is about a small group of people on a spaceship. There is also a horror feel to parts of the novel that reminds me quite a bit of the video game Dead Space. This book is a 2012 nominee for the Hugo Award, and there are two more books planned in the series. The author's name is actually a pen name for two guys, one who has written some fantasy, and the other is the assistant to George R.R. Martin. I really enjoyed it and will definitely check out the other books. 8/10

22) The Tenth Muse by Tad Williams - Another Tad short story. This one about an alien ship that shows up out of a wormhole and how the people there deal with it. Again, a nice little story that really shows off Tad's writing ability. 7/10

23) The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - This is the first novel in a YA trilogy called Chaos Walking. It's set in the future on a planet that earth recently colonized, about 50 years in. There was a war with the indigenous species and all the males in the population were infected with a germ that allows everyone around them to read their thoughts. It's a pretty violent book, but it deals with some interesting themes. I'm looking forward to the other two in the series. 8/10

24) The Lamentably Comical Tragedy (or the Laughably Tragic Comedy) of Lixal Laqavee by Tad Williams - Another short story by Tad. This one had some good humor in it, and shows off his ability to write in a specific voice. A fairly entertaining read. 7/10

25) The Terrible Conflagration at The Quiller’s Mint by Tad Williams - This short story was almost just like a chapter in a larger work. It references an event that takes place in his Shadowmarch series. Having not read that series, I can't say how it fits in. The writing was impeccable, but there wasn't much "story" here. 7/10

26) Black Sunshine by Tad Williams - This is a screenplay set in the 70's and modern times. It's a horror film that involves a group of four friends and something terrible that happened to them in high school and is now back to haunt them. Screenplays are not very fun to actually read. I thought this was OK, but didn't really bring anything new to the table. 6/10

27) Ants by Tad Williams - A short story about a guy who finally loses it and butchers his wife and how ants help him clean up the mess. Kinda weird but decently written. 7/10

28) The Ask And The Answer by Patrick Ness - This is the second novel in the Chaos Walking Trilogy. It was a really good, solid follow up to the first book. Deals with trying to maintain innocence living in times and situations where everything pushes you the opposite way. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends in the last novel. 8/10

Now Reading Monsters Of Men by Patrick Ness.

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2012, 07:27:55 AM »

I take it none of you guys are reading "Fifty Shades Of Grey"?? ;)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

Just finished A Storm of Swords.  I can certainly understand why people have been telling me this is the best of the series so far.  By now, we're familiar with most of the characters and where they stand on things and where they come from, but man does Martin ever throw a lot of twists and turns into this one.  One big one had been spoiled for me by someone in my office but there was still a ton left for me to discover.   However, there was one part where he goes on to describe many different courses of a feast and he probably could have toned that down a bit.  This was not a short book!!  Still, I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to see it as seasons 3 and 4 of the show.

Now, I'm going to read the first of the Dresden books.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

However, there was one part where he goes on to describe many different courses of a feast and he probably could have toned that down a bit.

You ain't seen nothin' yet. By the writing of A Dance With Dragons, he must have been on a diet, because he doesn't let one morsel of food go undescribed. I'll certainly never want to eat eel pie.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »

I'm about half-way through, and it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Great comic, but it really paints a bleak picture of the coming zombie apocalypse.

I'm reading The Walking Dead Compendium Two and it might be even more grim than the first volume. I don't know why, but I expect the zombie apocalypse to at least have some good moments.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]