Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:05:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Teh Bias Book Club  (Read 47622 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: Teh Bias Book Clubb
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2005, 04:14:56 PM »

Hoot
Carl Hiaasen
Fiction
Young reader
292 pages

This is Hiaasen's first novel for young readers. The title refers to the owls at the center of the plot, and not-so-subtly hints at the intended humor. It's basically about a rag-tag group of kids who fight against a pancake chain that wants to build on land occupied by some of mother natures special little friends.

I thought the book was well-paced and fun for both teens and adults.

Simliar titles: Like the movie "Fly Away Home," but funny.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 01:26:22 PM »

Does anyone here use an audio book rental program?  Something like Netflix or BB??
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 05:55:45 PM »

Does anyone here use an audio book rental program?  Something like Netflix or BB??

Other than the library, no.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »

iCon - Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
Young & Simon
Non Fiction
Biography
359 pages

Being the computer fan - and especially Mac addict - that I am, Steve Jobs has always intrigued me. This is the second bio I've read on him, as the first was a bit dated and left me wanting to know "the rest of the story." For a book whose title claims Jobs has had the "Greatest Second Act in the History of Business," I found the focus on his early days to be a bit of a put-off. It is structured in three parts: the early glory days of Apple, the dark ages of NeXT, and ends with the  return to greatness via Pixar and the iPod. So really the first 2/3 of the book focus not on the "Second Act," but on times gone by. And to be honest, the portrait painted of Jobs is not a pretty one. His "character" is so unsympathic that I had a hard time rooting for him to succeed. As much as I love Apple's products, I sure wouldn't want to work there!

Rating: several megs short of a gigabyte.

Similar titles: The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005, 09:32:22 AM »

Just finished "The Da Vinci Code" and I really liked it.  It was a really good thriller/treasure hunt type book and I imagine it will make a good movie as well.

I have a couple of questions about it for those who have finished it, but I don't want to spoil it for the few who haven't read it yet.  Maybe I should start a discussion thread.... Hhmmmm.....

J

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2005, 09:56:48 AM »

I liked it as well, Jeff - PM your questions.

And now would be a good time to tell us about cloning Jesus, Allen.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 10:37:19 AM »

Hey, Allen. Which of these Allen Appel's is you? Presumably not "To My Husband, With Love."

Pieter

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »

I think its the one that is selling for $.01 used.
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »

Those are all my dad's books. Yes, even "To My Husband, With Love," though he neglected to tell me about that one. I'm surprised he didn't put the wife's name on it instead. I'm a co-author of #8. Wow, a penny! I'm going to have to pick up some of those. The comments range from "never read" to "tight, exciting story." If I were you, I'd pick up the "Collectible" edition.  ::)
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2005, 02:38:09 AM »

And now would be a good time to tell us about cloning Jesus, Allen.

That, and other tales of woe, can be found here.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »

The Expectant Father - Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be
Brott & Ash
Non Fiction
Pregnancy Guide
271 pages

This'll be my first book report on a book I didn't finish! After "Belly Laughs," this book's mature and clinical approach on what to expect when your wife is pregnant bored me to no end. There is a level of detail that doesn't interest me. For example: announcements, financial planning, baby-naming, and baby-shower etiquette. All that's important, no doubt, but it just didn't interest me at this point in time. The book is outlined month by month, and I got to month 8 before I gave up. I was so near the end of the pregnancy time-wise, and already so bored, that I couldn't imagine what the other half of the manual would have to say.

Rating: not recommended.

Similar titles: "Belly Laughs" and "What to Expect When You're Expecting"

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2005, 01:45:47 PM »

I'm rereading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.  I recently found out that a seventh (Final Chronicles) book was released with the rest on the way.  I have the new one, but it's been twelve years since I read the first six and I want a refresher. 

What can I say, I'm a glutton for epic fantasy punishment.  I just can't seem to be happy unless I'm eagerly anticipating the release of the next in a series.  After finishing Stephen King's Dark Tower series (all seven books) I thougth I would be done, but I had to go back to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (which means I'm waiting for #11) and Donaldson's Covenant series.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2005, 12:41:13 PM »

On my vacation, I'm going to be reading a galley review copy of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, the semi-sequel to American Gods. The rest of you shmoes won't get to read this one until September 20. Mwahahahaha!

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 12:57:49 PM »

My wife gets advance, unproofed review copies all the time...they are stacked up to the damned ceiling around here.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »

Anybody looking forward to the new Harry Potter book?  We are heading to the library this weekend to pick it up.
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18