Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 24, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Scanner Darkly  (Read 1046 times)

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
A Scanner Darkly
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »

This looks really cool.  Like a next gen version of that old Aha video.  Plus, it's based on a Phillip K. Dick novel so it's gotta be trippy.  I'm definitely interested so far.

"A Scanner Darkly" is set in suburban Orange County, California in a future where America has lost the war on drugs.  When one reluctant Undercover cop (Keanu Reeves) is ordered to start spying on his friends, he is launched on a paranoid journey into the absurd, where identities and loyalties are impossible to decode.  It is a cautionary tale of drug use based on the novel by Phillip K. Dick and his own experiences.  The Movie stars Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder and Rory Cochrane and is written for the screen and directed by Richard Linklater.

Like a graphic novel come to life, "A Scanner Darkly" will use live action photography overlaid with an advanced animation process (interpolated rotoscoping) to create a haunting, highly stylized vision of the future.  The technology, first employed in Linklater's 2001 film "Waking Life", has evolved to produce even more emotional impact and detail.

There was a small story on the live action-to-animation process in last week's Entertainment Weekly that's pretty cool. 

Here's a link to the High Res Trailer.

J.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »

The Philip K. Dick novel actually made me--ME!--give up drugs. Of course, this was in high school, and it only lasted a year, but still. I was very disappointed when I first heard that Keanu was playing the main role, but, like Speed, it might actually play to his, um, "strength" as an actor. Plus, it looks great. Man, I love Dick!

Wait, what?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: A Scanner Darkly
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »

Looks very cool. 8)