Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 07:21:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Discussion  (Read 38059 times)

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
Battlestar Galactica Discussion
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »

Since there seem to be a few more people watching this now, I think a dedicated thread is in order.

Please beware that some people haven't made their way through the seasons yet, so please apply spoiler tags as necessary!

Maggi & Jeff - You've both started watching it recently, so let's hear your thoughts, questions, etc.

MrJames

• View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »

When does season 3 start? HBO is keeping me busy for now but I'll need my BSG fix at some point.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:36:58 PM »

When does season 3 start? HBO is keeping me busy for now but I'll need my BSG fix at some point.

October 6, 2006 is when the first episode of Season 3 - "[spoiler]Occupation[/spoiler]" - will be shown.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:53:46 AM »

I never thought I'd like this show, but after being convinced to see Firefly and loving it I rented BSG.  Boy am I glad I did. As with Firefly, it took a few episodes for me to "get" the show, but once I did I ate up the first season. The season finale really worked for me, and I was so glad not to have to wait long for the cliffhanger to be resolved as season 2 showed up just a few days later! I have disc 2 and 3 at home now, and plan to watch an episode or two this evening. The season 2.0 discs are just half of season 2, correct? Any idea when the next discs are coming? Embarrasing question: what channel is this show actually on? :-[ SciFi, I assume?

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:57:53 AM »

I watched "Water" last night and it was cool but I just don't get what's going on with Boomer.   [spoiler]WTF with the G4 detonator that was on her ship when she was scouting for water sources??  It was like she didn't want to tell them that she was picking up H2O readings, AND it was if she was going to commit suicide (and murder of her navigator) by hitting the switch on the C4 brick.[/spoiler]

I guess more will be explained in later episodes.  I'm curious about her character(s)  [spoiler]How did she get all wet?  She was on the Galactica the whole time right?  I thought it was just another version of her model that was on Cylon-occupied-Caprica with Helo.  I'm kinda confused.[/spoiler]  I do like how they don't have every episode being its own self contained story and they let threads stay out there un-resolved.   

It's a rainy day here so I might try to watch a few more episodes.

J.

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 09:11:03 AM »

Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Boomer (1st question):  [spoiler]She doesn't realize she's a Cylon yet and I think the thing in the ship with telling them she found water was an internal struggle between her Cylon self saying not to tell and what she thinks is her real self knowing that she should.[/spoiler]

2nd question: I'm guessing at this one: [spoiler]Just remember there are many copies!  There is one Boomer onboard Galactica and one Boomer on Caprica with Helo.  So you're not seeing the same Sharon, you're seeing two different copies.  Maybe she was all wet because her copy was and it somehow connected to the Galactica Sharon???  Chris???[/spoiler]

I am IN LOVE with this series now!  I watched the miniseries, the first season and the first half of the second season on DVD so far and I was surprised at how much I liked it right off the bat.  When I started I figured that it would be ok but that would be it. 

BSG is very, very good at those "gasp!  Holy Crap!  What the Frak!" moments which I just love in a TV show.  They're very skilled at reeling you in and then turning everything upside down.  Plus, "frak" is my new favorite word.  I haven't seen the second half of Season 2 yet so please be careful with spoilers!   :-*  (Entertainment Weekly already spoiled one part of the story line for me.  I find that they do that a lot with books, movies, shows, etc.  Frakking jerks!   ;D)
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »

I never thought I'd like this show, but after being convinced to see Firefly and loving it I rented BSG.  Boy am I glad I did. As with Firefly, it took a few episodes for me to "get" the show, but once I did I ate up the first season.

Ahhh, sweet sweet Firefly.   I plan on starting Season 1 of BSG today.  I already watched the miniseries.  Just a note/reminder, you can't apply spoiler tags on xbox live so please watch what you say next time.  Not all of us have watched it yet.  I just took my headset off though until the next round of GRAW started.   Thanks.  :)

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »

Jeff - here's my take on your questions -

In regards to your first question - Boomer [spoiler]doesn't know she's a Cylon.  She's conflicted, as evidenced by the struggle to do things - report the water, report the G4 explosives, etc.  At this point only the viewer knows she's a Cylon[/spoiler].

Second question - [spoiler]Boomer was all wet at the beginning, because she just got back from planting the explosives in the water tanks.  "Water" starts with her coming out of a "trance", not knowing what she's been doing.  This starts her thoughts and questioning that something might be seriously wrong with her.  The thing to remember is that there are 12 Cylon models (as indicated in the mini series) but there are many copies of each.  I refer to them as Caprica Boomer and Galactica Boomer for the time being[/spoiler].

Maggi - You get a gold star for being correct.   ;D

Pieter - BSG is a SciFi exclusive.  It kind of sucks that SciFI doesn't broadcast in HD though.  If you don't mind being a few episodes behind, Universal HD shows them on Sundays at 8 and 11 I believe.  The Season 2.0 DVD set that is available currently is only half of Season 2.  The second half should be available later this year.  Of course there are other means to get them if you can't wait.

I'd like to point out that the DVD (including the set I gave Maggi) have commentary tracks by Ron Moore.  They are very insightful, and offer a lot of information.  I usually watch the episode first, then play it with commentary on to get the full jist (sp?) of it.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 12:23:51 PM »

That's good news about Universal HD, Chris. Do you know if they run in episodic order or if they are random repeats?

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 12:32:58 PM »

Pieter - they run in episodic order, but are always a few weeks behind the current season.  They are currently a month and a half behind at this point and showing the episode "[spoiler]The Captains Hand[/spoiler]".  This is episode 17 - 4 episodes from the season finale.  UHD is restarting the series (beginning with the miniseries) on May 21 if anyone would like to start watching the series in HD.  And it looks terrific!

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 02:51:27 PM »

Chris--

[spoiler]AHHHHH the fucking water tanks!!!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!   I'm such a Frakking Retard.[/spoiler]

I've never been so happy to have Universal HD.  I'll be checking them out and setting up the DVR.

J.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »

Chris--

[spoiler]AHHHHH the fucking water tanks!!!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!   I'm such a Frakking Retard.[/spoiler]

I've never been so happy to have Universal HD.  I'll be checking them out and setting up the DVR.

J.

Jeff, just make sure to watch them in order.  :)

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 03:11:35 PM »

Yeah, I've just finished the first 4 episodes of season 1.  Looking forward to disc 3 of the set.

J.

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »

Go Boss!  I had my mom watch the miniseries today.  She really liked it...
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 06:37:39 PM »

I think the hardest part in getting me to rent these discs was the cast. The only names I knew were Olmos and McDonnell. The dude from Stand and Deliver starring with the lady from Dances with Wolves? It sure doesn't sound like a winning combo for a sci-fi series - but they are very engaging, especially Olmos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15