Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 01:42:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Microsoft really screwed up when...  (Read 10595 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Microsoft really screwed up when...
« on: January 28, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »

I'd love to see a list of the decisions that members feel Microsoft arguably screwed up on.

I'll throw in a couple.

1)  Purchasing Access Software.  Five years ago, Links was the biggest franchise in PC Golf.  It was the 'brand name', and that's why Microsoft gave up on their own golf series and bought Access.  Now they've sold them, after releasing one console version that didn't get as many courses released as they implied, and the PC franchise stalled at 2003 and still uses a 2D engine.  Some may bash EA for releasing barely-revised 'updates' to sports games every year, but by not releasing annual updates to Links, MS has really weakened the brand name.  Here is hoping that Take Two will bring the lustre back to this once-dominant franchise.

2)  Live Arcade.  The games are too expensive, there's a lack of AAA titles, and hardly any of the games can be played online.  It's bad enough to charge $20 for something I can play on the PC for free, but when I can't play a tile game like Bejeweled online while chatting with up to six of my friends, I just don't give a crap.  These games should have been implemented within the dashboard chat function, and priced attractively.  I'd buy a ton of these games if they were affordable, and if I could play them casually, without needing to pop in a disc or exit Live chat.  Imagine a scenario where a dozen of us were chatting, and some of us were playing the same game together, and a few others were playing single-player titles, all at the same time, transparently.   Microsoft better be getting some heavy traction on Arcade from non-traditional gamers, because the 'regular' Live players aren't biting.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Microsoft really screwed up when...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »

I don't know about all that Mike, but let's be careful how we refer to Microsoft - we don't know, but they might be reading our site and using it as a tool to learn about happenings and trends in the videogame industry.

Or not    ;)
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 12:39:07 AM »

Well, according to Ign, this past quarter is the first one where xbox made a profit.  LINK

They only need about 12 more quarters like that before they make back all the money they lost.

J.

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 10:52:43 AM »

All in all, I have been reasonably happy with MS (at least on the console end) since I bought my Xbox.  I would have to say my biggest gribe is the same as Mike's second gripe.  There are a lot of great "arcade" games available with the Xbox Live Arcade disc, yet they are all priced out of my "willing to pay" budget.  I love Zuma and Bejeweled, but there is no way I am going to pay $20 for the former when I can't even chat with other people while I'm playing.

Also, I think that MS's foray in to the world of platformers has been less than successful.  Blinx and Blinx 2 were mediocre at best (IMHO of course) and I don't foresee them finding a Mario or a Sonic, etc in the near future on which they can build a franchise (which was pretty much the idea behind the Blinx series).  Not that I am a huge fan of platformers, but they are fun to play when executed well and it gives my kids something to play on the big black console.
Chris

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 03:35:36 PM »

3.  Rareware aquisition.  Over a third of a billion dollars to buy the company, untold expenses to retool for new platforms and develop Xbox titles, and 2.5 years later we've got no hits, and the best prospect for the current home console generation is a remake of an N64 title.  It is likely that the only thing making money at Rare right now is the GBA games.   Perfect Dark 360 had better be the next Halo 2, or I doubt they'll ever break even on this deal.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »

I was going to bump this, but then I couldn't think of any mistakes in the last five and a half years.  Oh well.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »

I was going to bump this, but then I couldn't think of any mistakes in the last five and a half years.  Oh well.

It seems you're just picking out random 5 year old threads to revive today.   ;)
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »

I'm just cruising down memory lane...

This would be the longest thread on TB if we started listing every mistake they made since February 17, 2005.
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

Well, they approved your Live account, for one.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »

And they sold you a 360 Live Vision Cam.
Albert Schweitzer

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:49 AM »

And they allowed my 200 gamertag name changes...
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »

And they allowed my 200 gamertag name changes...

At $10 a pop. This is an expensive hobby. :)

Xx Jester 76 xX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »

So much so that I had to cancel my gold membership for a number of months. :P

-Thomas Jefferson

JTello

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »

These haven't failed yet, but I think we'll be looking back on Kinect and Windows Phone 7 in 5 years and saying, "Pieces O' Shit!'

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »

You're wrong. Kinect will "blow away" iPad sales.

Micrsoft's Kudo Tsunoda believes that Kinect will 'blow away' sales of the iPad when it launches later this year.

"The preorders have been really strong. As far as what we're looking at for Holiday, this is going to be stuff that'll blow away any of the sales you've seen with iPad," Tsunoda told Gamasutra. "The Xbox 360 is already selling better than the Wii and Sony right now. Kinect's really just going to boost that to a whole new level."

Apple's iPad has enjoyed phenomenal success since its launch on April 2, shifting some three million units in just 80 days.

Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg is also expecting similar levels of success, saying recently "We believe this will be the biggest launch in our history, for Xbox. We will sell more Kinect sensors than we did [systems] at Xbox 360 launch."

:D :D :D
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Pages: [1] 2 3