Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:32:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft really screwed up when...  (Read 10601 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Microsoft really screwed up when...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

That is so ridiculous on so many levels.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:53:31 AM »

M R S U W... They didn't include the required house with the Kinect package.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

Inside story: The birth of Xbox. Very interesting interview with Ed Fries.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »

Good article that actually flies in the face of this thread!
Albert Schweitzer

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »

Wow. Thank goodness they didn't try to take that "windows in a box" to market.

And it's funny to look at the Duke controller now. It really does look like a sidewinder base without the stick.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »

Too bad Ed Fries doesn't work there, anymore. He championed a lot of the great, unusual early games.

Exclusives justify XBL price hike

Microsoft has explained the recent hike in Xbox Live subscription costs and pointed towards Xbox 360 exclusives as justification that gamers are getting their money's worth.

In August Microsoft announced that the price of an Xbox Live Gold membership would increase for selected packages in the US, Canada, UK and Mexico.

The price increases, which triggered yesterday with the Xbox 360 dashboard update, saw an increase in one month ($7.99 to $9.99), three month ($19.99 to $24.99) and 12 month ($49.99 to $59.99) gold subs in the US.

The only change in the UK is to the price of a one month Gold subscription: from 4.99 to 5.99.

"Back in 2002, we launched at 49 bucks, which works out to about $4.17 a month, and we've held steady for that entire time," Craig Davison of Microsoft's Xbox Live marketing told Gamasutra.

"Now what we've always been very passionate about is that quality needs to be there, but more importantly, the consistency. So if I'm playing Halo: Reach, Gears of War, Call of Duty, the consistency of the service and the experience needs to be there regardless of what that entertainment application is.

"So that has been critical. As you can imagine, the costs associated with maintaining a service at that level and making sure all of those features are consistent, we're hitting that quality bar, we're adding the customer service infrastructure necessary, we're accommodating all of the same social features and functionality too, there's a cost. Infrastructure costs, of course. And we're continuing to bring more and more content."

When asked to justify the increase at a time when the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network offers its core online services free, Davison pointed to Xbox 360 exclusives.

"In 2002 it was strictly multiplayer gaming," he said. "Now we get those Call of Duty map packs before anybody else does. We've got Gears and Halo, of course, as exclusives. We continue to get exclusives on the service as well. And we've gone from 400,000 members in our first year to 25 million.

"So during that time, we've definitely got to fund it, and we want to add more and more and more. ESPN is a great example. No extra charge for Xbox Live Gold members. But we want to continue to bring that content in. We also want to continue to innovate on all dimensions, whether it's social, entertainment, or gaming. So there you go."

At E3 2010 in June Microsoft announced an "exclusive multi-year agreement between Xbox and Activision" that will see Call of Duty add-ons and map packs appearing first on Xbox 360 for the next three years. The extent and duration of the individual add-ons' exclusivity wasn't discussed.

Last year Microsoft announced a tie-up that saw the first two downloadable add-ons for Modern Warfare 2 appear exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days each.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »

I don't understand why exclusives have anything to do with a price hike.

I'm not 8 years old. I don't care if I get a map pack before a PS3-only owner does.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »

If they would just stick to things like infrastructure and maintenance costs as the justification, it wouldn't be such a thumb in the eye. Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, etc., which are free on other consoles, or ESPN to which you have to be subscribed on cable as well, don't justify any cost, let alone an increase. Paying for a Microsoft moneyhat fund doesn't seem very reasonable.

Make sure you turn off auto-renewal in your account management. Microsoft will bombard you with subscription offers that you would never see otherwise.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »

Man, people on that site are all up in arms about their $0.83 (repeating of course) per month increase. Fight the power!

Personally, I'm really pissed. I had all kinds of other shit to spend that nearly three cents a day on.

/sarcasm

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »

I'm with Tony on this one.

I mean, let's say the Federal government needed just a few extra bucks a month from every taxpayer in order to fund a national single-payer health insurance system.  We certainly wouldn't say no to that, right?  So what's an extra buck a month for playing games?  Easy peasy!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »

Sounds like someone needs a nice, soothing cup of tea.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »

PSN makes me sad so I'll pay 10 more bucks a year for the actual community feel I have on Live.

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »

Most of us aren't even paying $50 a year right now anyway.  I'm sure we'll find another discount at renewal time.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »

Sounds like someone needs a nice, soothing cup of tea.

Or perhaps a cup of Kool-Aid.

:P

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »

Microsoft's prediction was right, if you read the context of what they said it was obvious they were talking launch, not lifetime.

Kinect sold 1 million units faster than iPad did.
Pages: 1 [2] 3