Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 12:24:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microsoft really screwed up when...  (Read 10593 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft really screwed up when...
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »

A $150 device sold faster than a $500 one? Amazing! They're also predicting 5 million sold this quarter. I can't see that happening (quarter is over at year's end, yes?).
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

A $150 device sold faster than a $500 one? Amazing! They're also predicting 5 million sold this quarter. I can't see that happening (quarter is over at year's end, yes?).

I'd also like to see how many people still use the $150 device 1 year from now.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »

I don't think it will be a huge bust and end up in clearance bins. I think it will be $99 with multiple pack-ins by next year. I certainly don't want games to be compromised with shoehorned alternate Kinect controls and advertising. Kinect-only games will ensure that they're not gimped for either user-base.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:31 AM »

iPad: 2m in < 2 months.
Kinect: 2.5m in 25 days.
iPad: 3m in 80 days
iPad: 7.5m in 175 days
Kinect: 8m in 60 days.

For what it's worth, I own an iPad and I don't own a Kinect nor do I have plans to buy one.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »

My wife was asking when we were getting Kinect. She normally couldn't care less about what console game system I have, but she's pushing for this. I said I wanted to get a whole new system with it, so we'll see how that shakes out. I'm sure there will be some must-have games for it eventually, but so far it has adopter's-remorse written all over it.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 11:31:57 AM »

iPad: 2m in < 2 months.
Kinect: 2.5m in 25 days.
iPad: 3m in 80 days
iPad: 7.5m in 175 days
Kinect: 8m in 60 days.

For what it's worth, I own an iPad and I don't own a Kinect nor do I have plans to buy one.

Microsoft issued a clarification of their statement last night.  It's 8m shipped, not sold.  The 2.5m was actual sales and they didn't have an updated statistic on how many they sold in the first 60 days.

My guess is with 8 million shipped, they probably got close to their 5 million sold target.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »

Buy the PS3 version of Portal 2 (Steamworks enabled) and you get Steam access to the PC/Mac version if you link your accounts.  Three platforms for the price of one.

Buy the 360 version and you get jack shit.

Way to go, Microsoft.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 02:02:36 AM »

Microsoft to discontinue Points

Microsoft’s proprietary virtual currency system, Microsoft Points, will be phased out by the end of the year, according to a source with knowledge of the company’s decision. The change will affect developers for Windows Phone, the Zune marketplace and Xbox Live.

By the end of 2012, all transactions will be based on the region set on the purchasing account and real money will be used to purchase all Windows Phone content. The move puts the Windows Phone Marketplace in line with the purchasing practices used in the App Store and the Android Market.

When asked Microsoft declined to provide further information, with a Microsoft spokesperson responding with “we do not comment on rumours or speculation.”

Mobile developers that have publishing agreements with Microsoft are being warned to plan their upcoming downloadable content (DLC) and in-app purchases in accordance with the change. Customers with existing Microsoft Points balances will have them converted into their local currency after the switch.

Microsoft Points are currently used to purchase games and media content on Xbox Live, the Zune Marketplace, the PC and Windows Phone, but the system isn’t used universally. On Xbox Live, the prices for full games are listed in dollars, but downloadable content is purchased with Points. On Windows Phone, apps are priced in dollars, but users can make in-app purchases with Points. Windows Phone users can also use Microsoft Points to buy accessories for their Xbox Live avatars and purchase Points directly from their phones.

While the decision to eliminate Microsoft Points may seem to be a surprising move, Microsoft has been gradually introducing cash purchases to Xbox Live, the most popular platform where Points are used. It makes sense for the company to move to a single cash-based payment system, as it brings it in line with its app market competitors and eliminates a consistent criticism of the system — that the Points to dollar conversion ratio is not only confusing, but it forces consumers to purchase more Points than they actually need. The smallest amount of Points that a consumer can purchase at one time is 400, or $5 worth.

On the one hand, I thought the necessary mental conversion of points to money made the actual cost a bit unclear, and maybe prices will be forced lower when people realize what a rip-off some things are. On the other hand, Points often went on sale. I haven't seen money go on sale since my local arcade offered 5 quarters for a dollar in their change machines. Even as a kid I was able to game that system.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »

I think the conversion from points to dollars is much easier in the US.  400 points is generally $5 right?  In Canada, it's about $5.70 or so, depending on whether you buy a points card or through Live. 

The one nice thing about the points cards was you could buy one and never need to enter your credit card on the system.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »

Swell. Probably be purchasing even less content on LIVE now. It would be nice if they'd make their LIVE website a little more Safari-friendly. I've finally reached the  point where I won't enter my credit card number on a windows based system anymore. I only do secure transactions on my Mac/iPhone/iPad.

And the LIVE website (at least last time I tried it) didn't work so well from iPad safari.

BTW - I never mentioned it here - but late fall last year my LIVE account was hacked - hacker stole my points, and actually changed my name to "Geese be Gone" (thank goodness...they could have changed it to something worse) - anyways end of the story is after a couple of months with MS "investigating" it, they concluded that nothing had been hacked. Apparently I got drunk and changed it myself and I just don't remember it.

Then very recently MS admits to having a security issue with their LIVE site. Thanks, dicks.

Point being, I'm really done with ever thinking a PC based system is secure. (Granted, the LIVE website security issue isn't a PC/MAC issue - but I've just run in to so many trojans lately, it's just not fun surfing the net on a PC anymore...went to download a Minecraft mod, and BAM - trojan on the website, that causes me to have to actually reinstall windows...and this is *after* AVG cleaned it up).

Ugh. Color me a Mac fanboy now. Seriously.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »

but I've just run in to so many trojans lately,

TWSS
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »

Seriously though, that does suck.  I had a similar issue with my hotmail account getting hacked.  It was the one that was tied to my Windows Live account, and thus, my xbox live account.  I never used the address for anything else and it was setup when I setup xbox live originally.

Microsoft didn't believe it was my account and nobody at Windows Live or Xbox live could help recover it.  Neither one knew what the other one could do and both passed the buck to the other.  So I said fuck them and my gamerscore and cancelled that account. (Xx Jester 76 xX) 

My wife had an account that we kept open and I just decided to share that account.  It pissed me off so much that I don't really care about playing console games much anymore.  I hate the PS3 and don't want to invest anything into Gamerscore etc... just to have Microsoft tell me my account is not my account.

TL:DR  Fuck Microsoft!
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »

The Xbox Live hack stuff concerns me.  I'm planning on tightening up my account security soon.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile/Protection

You know what really pisses me off about Microsoft?  That they bought Links golf and then killed it within 3 years.
Pages: 1 2 [3]