Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:14:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Always get an extended Warranty...  (Read 12645 times)

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
Re: Always get an extended Warranty...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »

Just got off the phone with the tech, and he's pretty sure it's a Lamp Driver and he's also going to order a thermal fuse which is a known problem with these sets so I'll be killing two birds with one stone!

Don't know how long it will take to get the parts and have a tech to come out to the house, but it probably won't be longer than 10 to 14 days.  [crosses fingers]

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »

Just got off the phone with the tech, and he's pretty sure it's a Lamp Driver and he's also going to order a thermal fuse which is a known problem with these sets so I'll be killing two birds with one stone!

Um, what?

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

Wow, Jeff. I guess I missed this thread first time through as I've never seen that TV. It is gorgeous!

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

That really sucks, Jeff.  Hope you get it fixed soon.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »

Well.  The TV's well and truly dead for now.  The picture only stays on for about a minute at a time, and then shuts off.   The repair should be happening sometime next week so I'll be reading a lot and playing psp.   Anyone up for some co-op Marvel Ultimate Alliance while chatting on google?

J.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »

Jeff, now I'm really worried about my TV.  Eep.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 11:27:57 AM »

Do you have the same type?   These problems are only found on the KDF-E55A20 and the KDF-E60A20.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »

I've got the KDF-46E2000, which seemed similar enough to worry me.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Yep, sounds like those two are basically the same thing.  Too bad, Dave.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »

Shut it, Bo.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »

Rattle.  Rattle.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 08:00:12 AM »

TV problems suck. I have a 13" color TV, a Sharp I think, that I have had for about 12 years. The picture is incredible for such a little CRT set with rabbit ears. I have never had a problem with it. I've had two other "real" TVs that have crapped out on me since.

I have the 42" Sony LCD. I believe I bought it right before you got the 60".

Hope the repairs go smoothly.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »

I'm back in business baby!

The  tech came by on Friday while I was on an airplane to Newark.  The repair took all of 15 minutes and now it's as good as new.

They replaced the Lamp Driver, the thermal fuse and the Lamp itself.  Surprising how much that improved picture quality.

It's nice to be gaming/watching TV again.  I got it fixed just in time for the blu-ray release of 300!

J.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »

Well.  Here we go again.

My Sony started showing some strange blue blobs in the bottom right corner of the screen about a month or two ago, and at first I didn't pay too much attention because they were really light and went away after a few minutes.  As time passed they started to get worse and I knew something was wrong.  I also knew that my extended warranty was up.

I started doing research and I found this page: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

How awesome that there are so many problems with my TV that there is a whole google page about them.  Seems as if the LCD Rear Projection technology that Sony used is in a word, shitty.  There have been all kinds of class action law suits and what not surrounding defects in the sets.  Just hit the link I've posted and see how many sets of different styles and price points this mess has affected.

Fortunately, that site has many links to help out people like myself who's Sony TV's have optical block problems.  Notably, this facebook page has proved to be invaluable : I Have a Defective Sony TV.

From that page I was able to contact the newly formed "Sony Listens" crisis management team and started the negotiations on a replacement.

At first I was offered:

KDL60EX500   $450.00 + local sales tax
KDL46EX710   $125.00 + local sales tax
KDL40EX500   No Charge

At first, I was indignant.  I thought that I shouldn't have to pay anything, so I counter-offered the Philippine-based customer service rep with an opportunity to kiss my ass.  As I worked my way up the chain of command, I quickly realized that if I wanted a replacement TV that was comparable to my old TV, and I wanted it for free, I'd probably have to wait for the class action law suit to be settled.  Even then, the deal might not be very good, and I'd HAVE to take it.  I decided to try something else.

I noticed that some others on the IHADS TV facebook page were getting their KDL 60EX500 sets for less than the $450 than I was being offered so I started asking questions, and found out that the offer price has to do with the value/depreciation of my current set.  I also found out that if you had replaced the set's lamp within the last year, and could provide a receipt, then they would reduce the offer price by that amount (lamps purchased more than six months previous are pro-rated).

So in the end, I accepted the offer on the 60" TV for $362.  I'm sending in all of my documentation today, and my new replacement TV should arrive about 3 weeks after they receive all the paper work.

Okay, so far I've tried Toshiba and Sony.  Maybe next time I'll try a Samsung....

J.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »

Welcome to the club, Jeff! Although obviously I was happier about the deal than you are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3