Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:32:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76

Author Topic: Movies - What was the last DVD to grace your player?  (Read 119441 times)

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: Movies - What was the last DVD to grace your player?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 05:44:15 AM »

The last thing I watched was Lost Season 1 Disc 1. I watched it in one sitting, but haven't got around to watching any of the others yet...

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 09:02:11 AM »

I've actually never seen one of Argento's movies.  I keep meaning to get the Dawn of the Dead collector's set with his cut of the movie in hit as well but its still over $50.00.  I look forward to reading what you have to say about Opera.  Are his movies generally hard to find?

DeepdiscountDVD.com has pretty much all of his films that are available, with most of them being very affordable (some even less than $10US).  Suspiria has a pretty huge following in the horror community, which allowed his other films to get some notice as well.  And, like Bryan said, Anchor Bay has done a pretty great job with his older stuff.  PRetty much anything after Opera is somewhat difficult to find (no matter as the quality of his work started to decline), but you can easily get his most recent offering, "The Card Player," at Blockbuster.

I have the Dawn of the Dead set with his cut of the movie in it.  The most strikingly different thing about his "version" is that the score was redone by the band Goblin, with whom he collaborated on many films (most notably Suspiria...that soundtrack still gives me the willies).  Plus, some of the early scenes before they get to the mall have been recut to make it much more frantic than in Romero's original vision.

Finished Opera last night.  This is more along the lines of his Gaillo work than his horror stuff and resembles such films as Deep Red and Tenebre.  This Argento film is about a woman that gets her big break starring in a stage version of Macbeth only to be stalked by an obsessed "fan."  Said fan eventually proceeds to tie her up and "force" her to watch as she/he brutally murders someone.  All the classic Argento markers are present in this film, from the expansive locations and sets to the slow, methodical "murder" scenes.  The number of death scenes in this film are pretty minimal as the focus stays more on the lead coping with what is going on around her.  The way the fan keeps her watching as they "do their business" is pretty interesting and inventive.  All in all, I rate this as a pretty good film if you are into Argento or the Italian horror genre in general.  I didn't enjoy it as much as Suspiria or even Inferno, but it was still a worthwhile way to spend 100 minutes or so.

Word of warning to people first starting out on Argento or Italian Horror in general; everything and everybody is dubbed.  Because of the mass distribution outside of Italy, the directors typically shoot without sound with everyone speaking dialogue in their native language and then post adds dubs for each region.  Sometimes this puts people off as it make the whole thing seem a little hokey, especially when the dubs are poorly done.
Chris

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 10:40:02 AM »

I use to watch dubbed films (well i still do) but If I have a choice, I go subtitled all the time.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:44 AM »

Dubbed movie don't bother me.  I'm used to it from a lot of the Hong Kong movies I've watched.  I don't mind subtitled movies but sometimes I think I miss stuff on the screen because I'm too busy reading the movie. 

Thanks for the thoughts Chris on the Argento movies.  I'll definately try to check them out.  I absolutely love horror movies and I really need to check his out.  There's some really cool stuff out there that isn't from North America.  The Japanese stuff is especially interesting.

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 10:55:11 AM »

I use to watch dubbed films (well i still do) but If I have a choice, I go subtitled all the time.

I will always watch a foreign film in its original language with subs if available.  Unfortunately, the nature of the Italian horror films doesn't allow for that since there is no "native" language.  During the shooting of the film some are delivering their lines in English, some Italian, some Spanish, etc.  It's kinda odd to watch.   :)

Thanks for the thoughts Chris on the Argento movies.  I'll definately try to check them out.  I absolutely love horror movies and I really need to check his out.  There's some really cool stuff out there that isn't from North America.  The Japanese stuff is especially interesting.

Agreed on the horror stuff outside North America.  Another Italian director to check out is Lucio Fulci.  His films Zombie and The Beyond are easily available to rent and feature some of the goriest (albeit 70s gore, which is a bit tame by today's standards) scenes commited to film at the time.  Quentin Tarantino is a huge fan of Fulci's and even released The Beyond on DVD through his Rolling Thunder distribution company.

I really like the Japanese horror stuff as well.  They do a nice job taking some classic ghost story elements and mixing them with contempory Japanese social commentary to produce some interesting stories. 
Chris

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 07:31:42 PM »

Dubbed movie don't bother me.  I'm used to it from a lot of the Hong Kong movies I've watched.  I don't mind subtitled movies but sometimes I think I miss stuff on the screen because I'm too busy reading the movie. 

I'm the opposite: I feel I may be missing something if I watch the dubbed version. I know I got much more out of Crouching Tiger with subs than dub, and prefer to watch a subtitled movie. I think more of the context is kept, rather than just the gist of the original dialogue.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 07:51:16 PM »

I'm the opposite: I feel I may be missing something if I watch the dubbed version. I know I got much more out of Crouching Tiger with subs than dub, and prefer to watch a subtitled movie. I think more of the context is kept, rather than just the gist of the original dialogue.

I agree with you that you can miss stuff with dubbed movies in the translation.  Really, I'm good either way. 

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 08:10:11 PM »

I agree with you that you can miss stuff with dubbed movies in the translation.  Really, I'm good either way. 

I haven't watched a bunch of subtitled movies either-speaking of spending time reading-but they do get easier to follow the more you watch.

I know my brother-in-law (who I have been buddies with for 16 years...we just happened to marry sisters) has suffered from hearing loss and watches TV, sports, movies, everything with CC and says he doesn't even notice he is reading anymore and it doesn't bother him at all. I guess the more you do it, the easier it gets. (TWSS)

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »

I haven't watched a bunch of subtitled movies either-speaking of spending time reading-but they do get easier to follow the more you watch.

I know my brother-in-law (who I have been buddies with for 16 years...we just happened to marry sisters) has suffered from hearing loss and watches TV, sports, movies, everything with CC and says he doesn't even notice he is reading anymore and it doesn't bother him at all. I guess the more you do it, the easier it gets. (TWSS)

What I find really scary is (well maybe it's just me! :)  ) that if you watch the same subtitle movie, over and over again...you find yourself not even looking at the subtitles.  You aready know what's going on!  At least that's what it's like with the Final Fantasy Advent's Children movie.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 10:36:32 PM »

What I find really scary is (well maybe it's just me! :)  ) that if you watch the same subtitle movie, over and over again...you find yourself not even looking at the subtitles.  You aready know what's going on!  At least that's what it's like with the Final Fantasy Advent's Children movie.

Yep, after watching tons of subtitled imports, you eventually develop the ability to sort of zone in on the center of the screen and catch all the action and text without really focusing on either.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 02:38:43 AM »

Don't know if any of you guys use the Friends feature in Netflix, but it can be a fun feature than goes along the lines of this thread. Basically it shows what your friends have at home, in their queue, and what movies they've rated. I've only got one friend right now, but seeing what's in his queue and what he's really liked has sometimes pushed me over the edge into adding it to my own queue.

So if you want to try it out, send me an invite to padawan doe pete at gmail dot com

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 07:19:38 AM »

That kind of sounds like the information you can get in XBox Live - downloading content, watching a movie, going to the can, etc...

If you guys are into HK films, Dario Argento is going to look like the Criterion Collection.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »

demolition man, dungeons and dragons 2, Eurotrip, underworld evolution and summer storm (again) have graced my player this week alone.

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »

I've watched "Super Size Me" and "Final Fantasy: Advent Children" recently.
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »

Last two things I have watched were Aeon Flux (craptacular) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (pretty good).  I have Final Destination 3 and Domino on rental for the weekend.
Chris

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76