Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:47:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76

Author Topic: Movies - What was the last DVD to grace your player?  (Read 119440 times)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Re: Movies - What was the last DVD to grace your player?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 03:34:33 PM »

Chappelle's Show: The Lost Episodes was the last thing in my player.  They were funny but not as good as seasons 1 and 2.  One episode they showed a skit and then just talked about how racism is treated in the show with the audience.  BORING!!!.  I haven't watched the unaired stuff yet but I bet it's the better skits.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

The New World
I'm a fan of Malick's other work, but this one was just too dull.

At home we have Syriana, Basic Instinct 2, You Stupid Man, and Don't Move.

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 09:03:24 AM »

We just recently watched Domino.  It looked very cool as Tony Scott movies usually do, but I found the flick pretty forgettable.  It wasn't bad, but it didn't make much of an impression on me.  Next up, we watched Final Destination 3.   I thought the opening accident was pretty well done and fairly tense, but the rest of the movie was standard fair that any horror/slasher movie fan has seen a billion times.

Up tonight is Cemetary Man either before or after some Live play (which I haven't been able to do much the past week due to work issues).  And this weekend I have Bloodrayne (I can't look away from the trainwreck that is Uwe Boll), Saw 2 and V for Vendetta.
Chris

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »

We opened up You Stupid Man from Netflix to find it in two pieces. We watched Basic Instinct 2 instead. I found it to be very very mildly entertaining.

I remember enjoying Domino when I watched it, but as you say, it was pretty forgettable after the fact.

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 01:36:38 PM »

I remember enjoying Domino when I watched it, but as you say, it was pretty forgettable after the fact.

I think there was a pretty good story floating around in there, but the hyper-kinetic style in which it was made caused certain scenes to just jar me out of the pacing of the plot, such that it was.  I am all for stylish films if done right (David Fincher is masterful at this IMHO), but sometimes it does too much to yank me out of the story.

I am really looking forward to seeing how much Bloodrayne is going to suck (no pun intended).  I think Uwe Boll is the Ed Wood of our time, without all that pesky love of film.   :D
Chris

ICandee

• I miss Cubey
    • View Profile
    • ICandee, You Game 2.0
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 08:46:02 PM »

I recently re-watched "Freaky Friday", the original (read: good) version with Jodie Foster.  I remember seeing this movie in school along with Old Yeller, which is still the most emotionally scarring movie I've ever seen..."If that don't beat all. I never saw such a dog."  POW!   :o :'(
"Girl gamer's rule.. it smells like apples and plums when you play with them.." -Xbox.com forum post

ICandee, You Game

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 10:59:15 PM »

I started watching the Final Destination 3 DVD today with that live or die feature.  I've only had the option about three times now.  You can either pick yes or no for the death or you pick an option, like a coin toss, and you don't know if the person will live or die until the scenes finishes.  It's kind of neat but a little annoying at times too.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »

I watched "Invisible Agent" Sunday afternoon.  It is the 1942 continuation of Universal's Invisible Man franchise.  Jon Hall plays the grandson of the original Claude Rains character and parachutes into Nazi Berlin to discover secret plans for the invasion of America.  I can't say it was very scary, but I loved it nonetheless.  I'm a sucker for this kind of classic cinema!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »

That sounds pretty cool.  I'm still amazed that they were able to make the Invisible Man back in the 30s.  I wish I could have been alive then to have seen it first hand.  Same goes for Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back (this one came out the year I was born but still before me). 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »

Syriana

Not sure what happened, but this movie was riveting. I think what worked for me was the locations. You just don't see many films set in the middle east, even though it's such a big part of our lives these days. It's nice to at least get a glimpse of what goes on over there.

Any other good films from that area of the world you guys can recommend?

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 03:48:04 PM »

I know it is coming to theatres and not DVD,  but there is that new Babel movie coming out with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett.  At least I think it is the middle east.  The trailer is on Quicktime.

I haven't seen Syriana but I would like to.  Thanks for the review Peter.  I'll definately try and check it out in the near future.

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 08:05:09 AM »

Jeremy & I finally finished "Rescue Me: The Complete Second Season".  WOW!!! That show has got to be one of the best shows on TV right now. I found the second season to be just as good as the first season. I can't wait to see the third season! I can't imagine Tommy getting more fucked up than what he already is but the pattern with "Rescue Me" seems to be just when you think Tommy has reached a new low, he takes it even lower in the next episode. I think his brother actually made that comment in the show in season 2: "Tommy, there is no rock bottom for you, is there?"

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »

on the recommendation of a friend, I watched Latter Days.  I independent comedy/drama that won some awards in 2004.  The movie was good but it dealt with subject matter that some ppl might have a hard time digesting.  It's worth it though if you can keep and open mine.  The kid from the tv show "third rock from the sun" appears in it as a secondary character to the story.  It's about Aaron a young Elder (or a Mormon missionary) who wants to do his family proud and is quite passionate about his religion and film until he runs into Christian (a shallow WeHo waiter/party boy).  After Aaron and three other missionaries move into the apartment across from Christian, his friends (christians that is) bet him $50 that he can't get one of them to jump into the sack, so he instantly latches onto Aaron after the two of them talk about there love of films well doing laundry one night.  (which is scary because these two start quoting movies like Young Frankenstien (It's could be worse....it could be raining!) and the famous Psycho line (A boy's best friend is his mother!)  and because I do this all the time too! (quote lines from movies when I'm in a conversation with ppl).  anyways comedy happens as  Christian starts to hound poor Aaron.  Is he successful?  you just have to watch and find out for the twist ending......never saw it coming!!

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »

Jeremy & I finally finished "Rescue Me: The Complete Second Season".  WOW!!! That show has got to be one of the best shows on TV right now. I found the second season to be just as good as the first season. I can't wait to see the third season! I can't imagine Tommy getting more fucked up than what he already is but the pattern with "Rescue Me" seems to be just when you think Tommy has reached a new low, he takes it even lower in the next episode. I think his brother actually made that comment in the show in season 2: "Tommy, there is no rock bottom for you, is there?"

Season 2 has nothing on Season 3 so far and it's only getting better. 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »

I was reading a movie quotes thread at HTF and it reminded me that I hadn't watched one of my most quoted movies in a long time, Bottle Rocket. Fired it up this morning and enjoyed the heck out of it as usual. I had forgotten some of the classics like:

"You're in the Army, yes?"
"No, I just have short hair."

and

"I was up at Heather's beach house when she asked me if I'd rather go waterskiing or lay out. It was at that point that I realized not only did I not want to answer that question, or any water-sports question, or see any of these people ever again."

and

"You're really complicated, aren't you?"
"I try not to be."

and

"She called you a failure? What has she ever done with her life that's so great? Nothing."

and

"Why do you have that tape on your nose?"
"Exactly."

and

"Bob gets the Spirit Award on this one."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76