Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:24:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Celebrity RIP  (Read 38351 times)

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
Re: RIP James Oliver Rigney Jr. (aka Robert Jordan)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 04:54:30 PM »

I did see this bit of news earlier in the week, and was pretty upset.  I posted in the Book Clubb thread earlier this summer that I was making an attempt to read through the whole Wheel of Time series.  I'm going at a pace of about a book a month and am currently near the end of The Dragon Reborn.  I also did pick up the browser for the DS to keep next to me while reading, and have http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ bookmarked for a quick character lookup if I forget who someone is or how they are connected to the story.  It is tremendously helpful.  I haven't used it too much in these early books, but know I will be heavily dependent on it in the later books.

I'm not as upset so much that the WoT series may not get a final book, its more that we won't ever be able to read what else he had in that great imagination of his to let us experience.  Some of his plans sounded very interesting, including some more prequels to WoT.  I did read on wotmania that Jordan dictacted his plot lines and everything else related to the final book to his family, and that a team of writers will convert those tapes into a final book.  So at least there will be an end (like Phantom said).

I still plan to take my time enjoying what Jordan did give us.  I may even finish by the time that final book comes out.  If it does, I hope this team of writers answers the question of who killed Asmodean.   :)

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
Re: RIP James Oliver Rigney Jr. (aka Robert Jordan)
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »

Well, for the 3 of us who care....

Rigney's wife (and editor) has selected Brandon Anderson to be author who completes the final Wheel of Time book.

http://www.tor-forge.com/NewsArticle.aspx?articleId=647

I've never read any of his work, so don't really have an opinion other than I'm glad that we'll get to know how the story ends.  The books publication is planned for Fall 2009.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Gary Gygax - Rolling Twenties in Heaven
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 01:53:34 AM »

Just saw the new Penny Arcade strip:

I was a pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons nerd in my early adolescence, back when there was nothing cool about being a nerd. I'm sure I still have some of those old rule books around somewhere.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: Gary Gygax - Rolling Twenties in Heaven
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »

That is sad. I had a Player's Handbook and rolled a few characters myself more than 20 years ago. I think it is safe to say that his influence is far reaching in movies, books, and video games even if most people don't realize it.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »

I credit Gary with many fun filled nights and weekends and many years of no sex.

Thanks and fuck you.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 08:42:45 AM »

Pretty much any game (regardless of genre) that has attributes assigned to a character, whether for the player to see or just behind the scenes for calculation purposes owes a debt to Gary (and his co-horts, most notably Dave Arneson).

Haven't played in 25 years, but I still have my rulebooks and a stack of modules.

Man, we're getting old. It blows my mind that Gary was 40+ when I first played D&D. Not having the internet for instant information, I can remember thinking that Gary was some cool teenager who created D&D. I probably didn't learn any real info about him until at least the mid 90's.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Max Pauer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »

He definitely was a major influence on a lot of what I did in my early years with AD&D, Top Secret, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Frontiers and a host of other P&P games.  And, as stated, without Gygax's influence, we wouldn't have a lot of what we do today.  For example, games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, etc. probably wouldn't exist without his influence.
Chris

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 09:27:07 AM »

A lot of people like to think that JRPG are a whole different animal that somehow would have evolved by itself, but the truth is that D&D begat Ultima and Wizardry, and that JRPG (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc.) were directly influenced by those two Western series (which were indeed sold in Japan).  The family tree is very tight.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »

If you can get your hands on a copy or see Dragons in the Basement (apparently shown only once at GenCon 2000), I highly recommend doing it.  It's nothing more than a series of talking heads, but it chronicles the start of the RPG (berthed by mistake out of Blackmoor I believe), through the creation of TSR and D&D all the way through Steve Jackson versus the Secret Service.   It includes interviews with Gygax, Arnson, Jackson, David Wesley (if I remember right), and other whose names I can't remember right now (like the guy who heads up Chaosium and the guy who started Traveller; is that one and the same?).

I've been trying to find a copy of it, but it seems to have disappeared.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
RIP George Carlin
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 12:48:59 AM »

George Carlin has died.

ET breaks the news that comedian George Carlin has died from heart failure. The man who made famous the "seven words you can never say on television" passed away at 5:55 p.m. Sunday at Saint John's Hospital in Santa Monica, his longtime publicist said. He was 71.

Carlin, who has had several heart attacks and a history of cardiac issues, went into the hospital this afternoon after complaining of heart problems.

Carlin has more than 20 comedy albums, 14 HBO specials, numerous TV and movie roles, and three best-selling books to his credit. Last year, he celebrated his 50th year in show business, and he had just finished his last HBO special in March, "It's Bad for Ya."

That really sucks. I thought lately his comedy was too bitter, but he was a real comedy hero of mine as a kid. He was also just about to receive the Mark Twain award.

NSFW, but damn funny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BTyzTJTNhNk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BTyzTJTNhNk</a>

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Re: RIP George Carlin
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »

I had a chance to see Carlin live a couple years ago and he was amazing but he didn't look very well.  This is really too bad but I think he probably lived a hard life. 

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 06:43:04 AM »

Fuck.

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »

So sad :( He will be missed. I really enjoyed watching his comedy and reading his books as well.

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »

My all time favourite comedian.  I also had a chance to see him a few years. Started listening to his stuff in high school (What Am I Doing In New Jersey? was the first one I listened to).  My sister got me a couple of his old LPs for Christmas a few years ago.

::)

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »

i borrowed jeremy's copy of that album in high school. i think the "frost my bush" joke was uttered once a week by our geeky/nerdy friend group.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16