Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 05:49:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Comic Books aka where real men were their underwear on the outside!  (Read 19375 times)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile

I dunno if this thread includes comics/graphic novels, but I finally read Alan Moore's The Watchmen and finished it today.  What a story.  There is just so much going on in the book.  I can see now why everyone is freaking out about it being made into a movie, if it ever does.  There is just too much to translate.  V for Vendetta was a pretty good adaptation of one of Moore's books, but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was way off. 

It's also amazing to see how much of that book can be related to what is going on in the world today.  Moore is definately one of the best writers in this medium of all time. 

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Books aka where real men were their underwear on the outside!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:37:58 AM »

I finished Crisis on Infinite Earths yesterday after getting a cheap copy on E-bay.  I had never read it before and it all happened before I really got into comic books and understood how all the storylines worked.  I can understand why at the time it was such a big storyline and I'm sure upset a lot of fans.  The only thing that bugs me now is that two of the characters killed off in it have been brought back to life.  However, I still enjoyed it.   

Does anyone know of a graphic novel that collects the issues leading up to the original death of Hal Jordan?  I'd be interested in seeing that.

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »

Finished Crisis huh....what did you think?  It was a hugh deal back in the day....alot more then 2 characters died in that storyline Sean!  Whole worlds were destroyed.  Alot of superheroes from the 20,30,and 40's were killed off.  The old version of Superman was killed, along with the old version of the flash.   DC at the time had hundreds of worlds and they destroyed them all......leaving only one.  Which is funny cause now Marvel is doing the same thing DC did.....creating new universes etc.  Anyways I was disappointed in the comic....but then again I was never a big DC fan.  Only Batman and Green Latern keep me with DC.

Which Death of Hal Jordan were you referring too?  Zero Hour block?  cause it's out in Trade paperback, or where you referring to the kick ass story called "The Final Night"

man that was a good story....  I will never forget the Green Latern Oath after that one! 

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night..No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might. Beware my power.... Green Lantern's Light! 

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 11:02:16 AM »

I had this all typed out before Greg answered, but I'll post it anyway:

Do you mean after he went crazy, killed a whole bunch of GL's, turned into the villain Parallax, tried to reboot the universe, and then sacrificed himself to re-ignite the sun, then became The Spectre?

You'd want Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, and Final Night, all of which I believe are available in TPB.

I liked ET and ZH, but thought Final Night was pretty lame. (Sorry, Greg)

And yes, I typed all of this from memory.  Kill me now.

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »

I'll admit that Final Night starts off really boring.  But as soon as Green Latern shows up the storyline does get better. 

Emerald Twilight he goes crazy and kills every green latern in the universe, destroys the giant green latern on Oa or something....can't remember the planet.

In Zero Hour he's trying to erase from time the events that lead up to his city being destroyed in the events of Return of Superman.

Yeah for his self-sacrifice in Final Night....he gets promoted to Spectre.  Mainly because DC didn't want to totally write him off.  But he's back now.  He's Green Latern again since Kyle Rayner (think that's his name) became a god.

dear god....you know, I use to make fun of my mom for her watching her "soaps" on TV.....now I see that I am no better.....this is just like those "soaps" except the ppl wear more colourful underwear! 

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »

Greg, I realize billions of people, not just superheroes, were killed off but they brought two people back.  It bugs me when they make a big deal of killing off characters only to resurrect them later.   DC and Marvel do it way too often. 

Thanks to both Dave and Greg.  I meant the storyline where he became Parralax.  I have the Reborn mini-series from last year but I'd like to see where he went nuts.   I'll have to keep an eye out for these books.  My collection continues to grow.  I'm reading a collection of three Batman Halloween specials called Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb which led into The Long Halloween (which I also have).  Long Halloween is a long book but really enjoyable. 

Dave there's no shame in writing things from memory, especially around us.  You should be proud of it.  ;)

One other series of books I enjoy is the Elseworld's series.  I have the Batman/Dracula series, Kingdom Come and Superman: Red Son.  Red Son is the best I've read yet with Superman landing in the USSR instead of the US and becoming their champion.  It was really well done.  I even have the three Batman/Predator books.  I'm so lame at times.  :) 

Perhaps we need to have a comics thread since I guess these don't really count as "books" to some people.

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »

Well Sean80 stated that we need a comic book discussion thread, and I agree!  Now here it is....umm Bryan, Jeremy, Mike or Alan could you be kind enough to merge the comic book posts from "teh bias book club" into this section for us.]

thanks....after they have done this, I'll talk about Batman/Dracula: Red Rain, one of my all time favourite books.

Also Jim Lee's 12 part storyline called "HUSH" was freaking amazing!!

I still can't believe that DC had the balls to [spoiler] resurrect the robin that the joker killed [/spoiler]  is he still in the DC universe?  whatever happened to him? 

Also what did everybody think of Marvel Zombies?  I'm trying to get a copy of this 5 part series just to see [spoiler] Magneto get eaten alive by spiderman, capt america etc. [/spoiler]

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:47:20 AM »

I agree that Hush was an amazing storyline.  Jeph Loeb is one my favourite writers and Jim Lee's art work was really cool.

I dunno if that person is still in the DC universe as I stopped buying comics right after that happened.   Nor have I read any of the Zombie stuff.  I'll get it in TPB when it's available.

Thanks for starting the thread Greg.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »

Split and merged.  Wise of you not to ask Jeff to do it, Greg.   ;)
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »

Split and merged.  Wise of you not to ask Jeff to do it, Greg.   ;)

yeah no shit....what did I do to him??  piss in his corn flakes today? :D

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:15 PM »

straight up, green lantern is my fave superhero of all times.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »

Well my favourite super hero....really isn't a super hero.  The Punisher!

other's include....

Batman, Evil Ernie, Green Latern (it's not a T-shirt...it's a way of life! ;) ) Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Magento (yes I know he's a super villian) spider-man and Green Arrow, Moon Knight, and Venom

Super Heroes that I hate!

Superman.....yup can't stand him.  Thinks he such a big shot.  Maybe Batman needs to beat the living crap out of him again! :)

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 03:00:49 PM »

i agree re: supes. i find his character boring and plain jane.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »

What does everybody think of the new series called Marvel Civil War?  I haven't heard much about it except that it's doing really well and that a major character reveals his secret identity to the world.

[spoiler] Spider-man removes his mask and sides with the government against those opposed to the new act.  [/spoiler]

It's funny to see Iron Man joing with the government and Capt America join with the rebels (i guess that's what you'd call them) 

does anybody have the full list of who's on who's side?

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »

Mat, do you like all of the Green Lantern's or a particular one?  I think Hal Jordan is my favourite only because he's the one I know from the 80s. 

My favourite super hero is Batman.  Then it's probably Spider-Man, Punisher, Capt. America, and Wolverine (go Canada).  Can't forget Hellboy, although he's a more recent find for me I must admit.

The most overrated in my opinion is Spawn.  I like the character, I just don't think it's the second coming. 

Greg, I haven't read anything on the Civil War other than what you tagged there.  There's too many of these cross-over series lately. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6