Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:38:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Comic Books aka where real men were their underwear on the outside!  (Read 19391 times)

Screwnut

• View Profile
Re: Comic Books aka where real men were their underwear on the outside!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »

spiderman's new look for the Civil War crossover!

I don't like it.....no sir no sam!

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »

spiderman's new look for the Civil War crossover!

I don't like it.....no sir no sam!

:'(

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 08:18:20 PM »

for more information on Marvel Civil War check out the link below.

oh Sean the new spiderman suit is robotic....tony stark gave it to better parker.  It's some type of nano suit that does whatever peter thinks and also enhances his strength and agility.  Can we say Venom 2099? ;(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_civil_war

it's going to be a big trade paperback!  There are 75 issues for this story!!  :O

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »

Peter Parker, workin' for the man?  I'm glad I don't read mainstream comics any more.   :)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »

74 issues?  That's bloody ridiculous.  I wonder how many people bought them all.  At an average of $3.50 an issue that comes out to $260.00.  People complain about games having DLC as being a ripoff.  I guarantee I've put more time into GRAW than I would have reading 74 comics. 

Mike, can you recommend any good non-mainstream comics, preferably that I could get as graphic novels?  I'm always looking for more.  I am looking to get more of the Sandman graphic novels.  I loved the first one.  Greg, same request goes to you.

I hope Spidey will have that new suit longer than he had that stupid Spider Armor.  That lasted what like 5 pages.

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »

74 issues?  That's bloody ridiculous.  I wonder how many people bought them all.  At an average of $3.50 an issue that comes out to $260.00.  People complain about games having DLC as being a ripoff.  I guarantee I've put more time into GRAW than I would have reading 74 comics. 

Mike, can you recommend any good non-mainstream comics, preferably that I could get as graphic novels?  I'm always looking for more.  I am looking to get more of the Sandman graphic novels.  I loved the first one.  Greg, same request goes to you.

I hope Spidey will have that new suit longer than he had that stupid Spider Armor.  That lasted what like 5 pages.

umm Civil War is not over :)  It started this summer and ends next summer with roughly 7 comics a month to get to complete the storyline! 

umm non-mainstream comics....umm the only two that come to mind is 30 days of Night (a really good vampire story that is being made into a movie!) and Evil Ernie from Chaos Comics.  Loved the Ernie!!    I'll have to check my collection and get back to you though okay!

ugh don't remind me of Spider Armour......god lord......21 pages to design the thing and kingpin melts it with acid.  RETARDED!!  Oh it lasted 3 pages.  He got past Kingpin's guards and confronted Kingpin, got is butt whipped but was saved by Purple Rose or something.....can't remember.....Can't believe I even remembered that!

good god....I'm never going to get a date in my life.  Alright I should just go and sign up for the priesthood now.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 09:13:25 PM »

I have the armor issue.  Web of Spider-Man 100.  Waste of money but it has a cool cover.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 09:19:21 PM »

I should probably say I prefer indie comics, as some of them are certainly somewhat mainstream, though they don't sell on the level of Marvel/DC stuff.

Some of the stuff I recommend:

Bone, by Jeff Smith
Concrete, by Paul Chadwick
Madman, by Mike Allred (his Marvel stuff is good too)
Eightball, by Dan Clowes
Hate, by Peter Bagge

Anything by Will Eisner, Kyle Baker, Carl Barks, Harvey Kurtzman, Jim Woodring,

Most stuff from Alan Moore, Matt Wagner, the Hernandez Bros, and a bunch of others that I'm sure I can't think of right now.

Of course, everything is a matter of personal taste.  Something like this Concrete collection might be a good starting point to get your feet wet.  Lots of pages for the dollar, solid thoughtful writing, but nothing too weird or freaky.  The later stuff got even better but many like to start at the beginning.  Most of what I mentioned are available in large collected editions that for $10-$20 will give you $30-$50 worth of comics at the published single-issue prices.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations guys.  I'll keep an eye out for this stuff.  I love Alan Moore's work although I've only read a bit of it - Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentleman and The Killing Joke (one of the best Joker stories every IMHO).

I have yet to read anything by Will Eisner.  Frank Miller is adapting and directing one of his books into a movie.  I can't remember it off the top of my head though.

Sherbz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »

I have yet to read anything by Will Eisner.  Frank Miller is adapting and directing one of his books into a movie.  I can't remember it off the top of my head though.

Read A Contract with God ASAP. It's the first real 'graphic novel' (as in published as a complete work, not merely a collection), and a damn fine example of comics taking on a subject slightly more serious than 'men who wear their underwear on the outside'. The Spirit is a great series (the one you refer to Frank Miller adapting), however the collections are extremely expensive.

Some other good 'indie' artists (and notable titles) to check out

Alex Robinson (Tricked)
Adrian Tomine (Sleepwalk and other stories)
Seth (It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken)
Craig Thompson (Blankets)
Alex Ware (Jimmy Corrigan)

Sandman is a must-read. I'd recommend at least picking up the first volume to check it out. Coming out in november is the first of four slipcase hardcovers collecting the entire series, though it's probably a bit pricy if you're just starting reading them.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 11:46:02 PM »

I thought I'd post a few notable selections from my comic collection. I'm still in the process of evaluating them. These are pics from my camera; I'll dedicate a thread and tell their story when I get a scanner and start cataloging them.

Amazing Spider-Man #129 (first appearance of The Punisher):

Amazing Spider-Man #98 (infamous issue that appeared without the Comics Code seal):

The Defenders #1 (I have two of these, for some reason):

Star Wars #1 (see that blue word next to Luke Skywalker? That's the difference between a $1500 comic and a $20 comic):

Tomb of Dracula #10 (first appearance of Blade):

Doctor Strange #1:

Ghost Rider #1 (value should go way up with movie release):

Marvel Spotlight on... #5 (first appearance of Ghost Rider):

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #1 (one of my favorite comic series - speaking of Nicolas Cage, this is from where he chose his professional name):

Werewolf by Night #1:

And plenty more where those came from.  ;D
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 12:37:25 AM »

wow allen!  that's an awesome comics collection!  I'd like to see more.!

I have Amazing Spiderman #129 myself too and Web of Spiderman #1, the issue where batman gets his back broken and several others.  I also have X-files comics #2,3,4,5 from topps comics. 

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 09:01:49 AM »

Updates on the status of some Marvel movies in the works.  Some I really want to see and others I'm not so sure about.  I do know they need to make a decent Capt. America movie after that last disgrace in the early 90s. 

One comic book movie I'm really looking forward to is Frank Miller's 300.  I love this story, both the real history and his take on it. 

Screwnut

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 01:30:26 PM »

damn there remaking Nick Fury.......I sooooo loved this version!

I am joking here ppl! 

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 02:30:33 PM »

I wonder which Nick Fury they'll go with.  The original or the Samuel L . Jackson look alike from the Ultimates universe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6