Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 24, 2019, 01:47:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Your Favourite Boardgames!  (Read 29307 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Your Favourite Boardgames!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 10:41:51 AM »

Nerd alert:

Anyone play Sid Meier's Civilizaion PC game? Well, here's the original Francis Tresham game from 1981 that inspired it - Civilization. This game is SO much better than the boardgame recently released which is actually based on Sid Meiers PC game. Got together with some friends over the weekend and had a nice day of Advanced Civilization. I placed 4th out of 7 as Africa. Babylon placed 1st because stupid Egypt and Assyria wouldn't attack him. Boneheads. I did have the enjoyment of infecting everyone with an Epidemic. (insert own jokes here) :D

I like this game because the combat is formula based, not dice based. You know exactly the outcome of any battle since there is no luck in them.  This makes diplomacy a huge part of the game. The trading aspect of the game is also neat. In addition to trading wares, you also (yeah, it requires a suspension of disbelief) trade calamities. "I'll give you the 3 gold you want if you agree to take this earthquake". The real fun is that you only have to truthfully reveal 2 of the at least 3 cards you trade, so at a crucial point you can be very devious and slide a calamity or two in with your trade if you posess a silver tongue. Do it too early, and no one will want to trade with you again. A great boardgame if you want to invest 5+ hours into a great time for 3-7 people. (the more, the merrier)

Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 08:04:41 PM »

dudes am i crazy or did i see settlers of catan in the live arcade clip from x06?! wtf?
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 08:44:21 PM »

dudes am i crazy or did i see settlers of catan in the live arcade clip from x06?! wtf?

Not only did you see Settlers of Catan, but you also saw
Carcassonne and Alhambra

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »

Geese, I threw your "Random picture" post in here, instead. It just wasn't random enough. I also deleted your explanatory post.

[spoiler]Mwahahahaha![/spoiler]
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Giotto1401

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »

anyone every play strat-o-matic baseball or football.  They had a game for every major sport.  I even went to a baseball tournament once back in 1687.

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/

Giotto1401

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

Anyone ever play stratomatic baseball.  I used to love that game.  They made a game for every sport.  The company was based out of long Island.  Me and friend even went to a tournament back in 1987.  When we played it was mostly a card and dice game based on player stats.  Now i think it just a sim game for the computer.  Kinda takes the fun out it, if you cant roll the dice.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 02:03:49 PM »

Oh Hells yeah! 

I have many seasons worth of strat-o-matic baseball cards and still love it to this day.  I was showing my boys how to roll the dice and read the pitcher/batter cards last weekend.

My favorite cards are the old timer teams that are one sided for standard play.  I also have the limited printing Hall of Fame set from 2000 (iirc).  I have two versions of the computer game as well - last one is from 2004.

**They still sell the entire line of board game components and cards for each MLB season.  The cards come out in mid-January each year.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 08:48:22 PM »

I know this is an old thread, and I won't be offended if I'm asked to start a new one due to the age.

Since Christmas I've become enamoured with the German-style board games such as Settlers of Catan.  I've been picking a game up here and there and have even started a weekly group event.

My collection at this point consists of:

• Settlers of Catan (with the 5-6 player expansion, Seafarers of Catan and Cities and Knights of Catan)
  • Carcassonne (with Traders and Builders, Inns and Cathedrals, River, River II, Count of Carcassonne)
  • Gloom
  • Cookie Fu

We've also been playing Lost Cities and are trying to learn Munchkin.

My wish list includes:

• Puerto Rico
  • Power Grid
  • Arkham Horror
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Tsuro

I only picked up Gloom this afternoon.  My wife and I will put it through its paces tonight after the kids are settled.  I hope it's as fun as it sounds.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 12:18:27 AM »

Ah, Cookie Fu. I wish I had someone in real life I could play that with. I tried to interest my brother in it, and he said, "Are you trying to make me a nerd?" Sigh.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 12:24:36 AM »

Ah, Cookie Fu. I wish I had someone in real life I could play that with. I tried to interest my brother in it, and he said, "Are you trying to make me a nerd?" Sigh.

Thank you again for introducing the game to me.  I've kept up with it enough that I was able to get some limited production test dice for the yet-to-be-released Death by Dim Sum expansion.  Great game, if you can find people who are willing to put up with the incredulous stares, especially in the company lunch room.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »

Puerto Rico - great game where you can (and need to) use many different strategies to win. Easily in my top 5.  Excellent balance of having enough choices to make, but never being able to do everything you want to do in a turn.

Power Grid - top 10 game for me, but can run a little long at times. However, this version, which has a static board, plays faster than the original 'Funkenschlag' which allowed you to draw your power lines on a mat using dry-erase markers. Love the auctions and the way the market economy works.

Arkham Horror - I've never played this! (horror!!!)  :P

Ticket to Ride - I personally like more the game Alan Moon morphed this out of (his own previous creation: "Union Pacific"), but Ticket to Ride could be the new Settlers as far as gateway games go. Such an easy ruleset, and plays well with 2-5 players. This would make an EXCELLENT live arcade game.

Tsuro - I'm not a huge fan of abstract strategy, but this one at least has very simple rules, and the components look quite nice.

Hope you get all your wishes!

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »

Megan and I got a chance to put Gloom through its paces this afternoon.  I was afraid that it was going to be more style over content (the cards are transparent and anything that shows through the stack counts) but there is a pretty fun game in this glossy package.

For those unfamiliar with the game the basic concept is thus:

Each player chooses one of four families, each with five members.  The backstory of each family is told in the instruction manual and sets up the mood quite well.  Imagine a cross between the Addam's Family and the art of Edward Gorey and you have a pretty good idea of how this game feels.

The goal is to kill off each member of the family with as little self-worth as possible.  Cards are played on each family member that either increase or decrease self-worth.  Family members can be Persued by Poodles, Perplexed by Pudding or a number of other darkly-humorous events.  Alternately they can be cheered by marriages, births and more.  Once an entire family is killed off each player totals the self-worth of dead family members and the lowest score wins.

Cards can be played on either your own family members or those of your opponents.  You want to play negatives on your own while trying to keep your opponents as cheerful as possible.  Each card can either cover up existing points or effects or allow them to show through, and the more beneficial a card is to you the more likely it is that it will come with a restriction or benefit to another player.  Likewise cards with positive points often come with great benefits to the recipient.

Additionally there are events that allow you to resurrect a dead character, swap point cards with another family member and more.  It's a bit chaotic in that your points are always shifting and you have to decide when it's best to kill them off.  Do you finish them off with modestly-low self-worth just to keep them stable, or do you leave them alive and hope for that rare card that gives your score the edge?   

Considering that it was our first session and were familiarizing ourselves with the rules and various cards I think it went pretty well.  One or two more times through and we'll have it down pretty well.

As usual Megan had a hefty amount of beginner's luck and managed to kill off two of my family members with positive or no self-worth.  In the end she won the game despite having two living family members.  I don't know how she does it but I get smeared every time I teach her a new game.

I liked it immediately, but I think that I'll save it for sessions with siblings and friends.  My parents, at least, would find the morbid humor distasteful.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »

Damn, you stop playing video games and now we can't shut you up ;)

Sounds like an interesting game. I think I am going to go out and buy some board games for the family to play. I really enjoyed playing board games as a child, long before the advent of video games. I have fond memories of Uno, Stratego, Battleship, Monopoly, Life and all the other standards, but I'd like to give some of these games you guys are into a whirl.

Cane Corso

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »

I recently picked up Settlers (after playing on Live) and Ticket to Ride.  My family has really enjoyed playing both and we are looking to pick up another....any recommendations?  I thought about Puerto Rico but I don't know how difficult it would be for my two kids (ages 11 & 7).  They have no trouble playing the other two.  I may take the "safe" route and go with Carcassonne.  What do you think?
-Todd Harlan

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »

I actually prefer the german (marklin?) edition of Ticket to Ride.  If you liked the style of Carcasonne, you should try Alhambra (I think it's better.)  We play a lot of Starfarers of Catan, but it's not for everyone - that is to say some of the normal group hates it. 

One of the most interesting things I've seen recently are these cooperative board games though they all seem to be balanced for a lot of people.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11