Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• February 15, 2019, 01:44:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Your Favourite Boardgames!  (Read 28721 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Your Favourite Boardgames!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »

I thought about Puerto Rico but I don't know how difficult it would be for my two kids (ages 11 & 7).  They have no trouble playing the other two.  I may take the "safe" route and go with Carcassonne.  What do you think?

Puerto Rico might be on the heavy side for a 7 year old. You can check out it's page on boardgamegeek and look through the files section and probably download the rules. Then you can get an idea if it'll be too heavy. I wouldn't consider it a gateway game. More of a 'gamers game'.

I agree that Alhambra is a better game than Carcassonne, but both are great choices. I still enjoy playing both.  If Puerto Rico piques your interest, but you think it might be too heavy, check out San Juan, it's a card version that has some of the flavor and mechanisms, but is much easier (and quicker) to play.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

Do you know anything about (ug, now I;m not sure of the name) Pirate Cove?  It looks like fun, but I don;t want to buy it without someone vouching for it. 

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 02:17:27 PM »

Do you know anything about (ug, now I;m not sure of the name) Pirate Cove?  It looks like fun, but I don;t want to buy it without someone vouching for it. 

Yeah, it's a great game, with these caveats: The game supports 3-5 players, but I recommend only playing with 5, 4 if you have to, and never with 3. This is because of the need for conflict in the game. The less players, the less chance of conflict. Also, it's not the most family friendly game, since it features a lot of 'take that!' (screw-your-neighbor) style gameplay.

I personally like the game a lot. It got played at the last two gamenights we hosted.

Cane Corso

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:21 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I think I am going to go with San Juan and follow up with Alhambra.  I'll let you know how it goes.
-Todd Harlan

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »

"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »

To those who haven't played Arkham Horror yet, you should.  The rules are a little... ummm... non-intuitive. And plenty.  But it's a unique cooperative game that give a good feel of being part of a Lovecraftian nightmare (read; you lose a lot). 

I have this love affair with FFG.  I tend to at least try most games they put out.  Although it's really hard to afford them.

Has anyone else tried the Game of Thrones board game?  I thought it was pretty swell, but am interested on hearing other opinions.  My board gaming group has the extremes (It's really good and I hates it).

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 12:30:35 PM »

Has anyone else tried the Game of Thrones board game?  I thought it was pretty swell, but am interested on hearing other opinions.  My board gaming group has the extremes (It's really good and I hates it).

Yeah, I like it. Felt like Diplomacy, with more theme. I'm so glad they did the combat resolution like they did (Diplomacy + cardplay) instead of the old, tired Risk/Axis&Allies method. It's not a quick game, though. At least 2.5 hours if you don't regularly play it (and I don't).

Slightly related, I personally despise dice-based combat resolution in games. (I'm not a Grognard) However, there are a few games that use it, that I actually really enjoy:

Pirate's Cove, Memoir '44, Heroscape (miniatures for Noobs)...and possibly World of Warcraft. (Talk about a big FFG production...) I say possibly, because I own it, but have yet to play it. I think the character customization will allow me to mediate my poor dice-rolling abilities that I have.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »

I have some pretty crap die rolling abilities, but I tend to shrug them away when it comes to most board games. However, Diplomacy is in my top 5 board games.  I really do love it.  I did get that Diplomacy feel when I last played Game of Thrones.  I am one of the few people that never really liked Axis and Allies.  Everytime I played it I kept thinking, "Why aren't I playing Diplomacy?"

Only 2.5 hours for Game of Thrones?  That's pretty light for FFG.  Arkham Horror and Descent usually run us upwards of 4+ hours.  Still not World in Flames time commitment.

You should pull out the WoW board game.  It's good times and approximates the feel of the MMO pretty well.  And you can mitigate crap die rolling as there are plenty of abilities that are like "Spot one 4+ to add one hit" or something.

Has anyone ever played Tenjo?  It a wargame set in Feudal Japan.  Check it out.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 04:02:42 PM »

Has anyone tried Tannhauser from FFG.  Supposedly it just came out.  I'm curious to see if it's any good.  It already has two points: 1 for being German and 2 for being from FFG.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »

Has anyone tried Tannhauser from FFG.  Supposedly it just came out.  I'm curious to see if it's any good.  It already has two points: 1 for being German and 2 for being from FFG.

Haven't tried it yet. Actually hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it. I checked it out on BGG and it looks cool, in standard FFG fashion.

I think I'll try and get WoW Boardgame and DOOM played before I try my hand at this, though. I've got a decent backlog of boardgames to get through before I buy too much new stuff.

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 10:04:36 PM »

I'm trying to interest my game group in War of the Ring, and so far I have at least one of them interested.  The price tag is prohibitive, however.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 08:54:47 AM »

I'm trying to interest my game group in War of the Ring, and so far I have at least one of them interested.  The price tag is prohibitive, however.

It's a good game.  It has neat moving the hobbits mechanic, and the battles are pretty strategic.  There is a LOT going on.  It can be pretty intimidating. 

I'd like to try it a second time, but I don't feel like it's $70 worth of fun.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »

Reading Lore's blog post from the other day reminded me that BattleLore is a good two player skirmish game.  You control one side of some historical battle and issue orders to your units in order to over take your opponent.  It starts with the Battle of Agincourt.  It's good times.  I bet there'd be a repository of user created content if there were only an electronic network of computation machines.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »

It's a good game.  It has neat moving the hobbits mechanic, and the battles are pretty strategic.  There is a LOT going on.  It can be pretty intimidating. 

I'd like to try it a second time, but I don't feel like it's $70 worth of fun.
Is that the cooperative game where you have the fellows moving right and the eye moving left while the story takes place of other boards?  Because that's not worth 70.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »

That's Lord of the Rings.  That's a good game, but definitely not $70 worth of fun.  I'm not sure it's $50 worth of fun, because once you beat it, the replayability is weak.  But those first few times you try to beat it, it is a blast.  Maybe the expansions upped the replayability.

War of the Rings is more of a war game.  I think it's only 4 players, and some players control multiple factions. 

I've added links to the FFG site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11