Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 25, 2019, 01:33:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cell Processor  (Read 1876 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Cell Processor
« on: February 08, 2005, 07:38:44 AM »

Cell Processor Unveiled
No question that the new hardware in the PS3 will be fantastic.  What is the cutoff point for making strategic changes to system hardware?  Could MS see this information and decide they need to incorporate something else into Xenon to make it more competitive/better?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Cell Processor
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 10:19:36 AM »

Initial devices are unlikely to be any smaller than a game console, however -- the first version of the Cell will run hot enough to require a cooling fan, Kahle said.

This is always a stumbling block for Sony, and makes me leery of picking up a launch console.

Bryan, "Xenon" is sooooo last week. It's "Xbox 360" now.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 02:08:46 PM »

After all the hype of 'emotion engine' and realtime 'Toy Story' graphics on the PS2, I take a wait-and-see approach.  There could be other bottlenecks and issues in the overall system architecture that we aren't even aware of yet.  We also could see some features of the actual production PS3 processor reduced from these specs in order to keep cost (or even heat) down.

There's also the big question of how many Cell PEs will the PS3 have?  One?  Two?  Four?  And how will they be configured...

Still exciting stuff.

Xbox was overhyped too...I remember early footage shown at E3 that supposedly only used "10%" of the power of the final Xbox...footage that blew away most Xbox games that have ever been released.