Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 25, 2019, 10:32:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53

Author Topic: Xbox 360 spec-ulation  (Read 102025 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Xbox 360 spec-ulation
« on: February 08, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »

The Inquirer is saying that Xbox 360 may forgo HD-DVD.† I've been wondering about this myself lately, as it sure seems like this year may be too early to include HD-DVD, at least without taking an enormous loss.

But this would be bad for MS and for HD-DVD.

1)† It doesn't look good for PS3 to have over six times the disc capacity.
2)† It makes Xbox 360 look old fashioned.
3)† HD-DVD is a selling point, just as regular DVD was a PS2 selling point.† Lots of geeks would like to check out the format but don't want to invest in hardware while the format war continues.
4)† HD-DVD could use the jumpstart in market share, this will likely put them well behind Blu-Ray once PS3 launches.

There are a lot of other rumors making the rounds in the message boards...chief among them that the hard drive will be optional, either as an accessory or maybe as a second model...

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Xbox 360 spec-ulation. No HD-DVD? Hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 02:35:15 PM »

I kind of like the idea of multiple versions.† I would put the hd-enabled unit in my home theater and could use the non-hd version to play with the little ones in the den.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 05:25:48 PM »

How can they keep hardware costs in a reasonable price range when the technology is so new?  When the PS2 launched in October 2000, DVD had already been available to consumers for over three years.  The cost of producing hardware had come down quite a bit (and much more since).  When the Xbox launched a year later, DVD had been around for four years.

I'm posing this question in regards to both the PS3 (Blu-Ray) and Xbox 360 (HD-DVD).

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 05:59:05 PM »

How can they keep hardware costs in a reasonable price range when the technology is so new?  When the PS2 launched in October 2000, DVD had already been available to consumers for over three years.  The cost of producing hardware had come down quite a bit (and much more since).  When the Xbox launched a year later, DVD had been around for four years.

I'm posing this question in regards to both the PS3 (Blu-Ray) and Xbox 360 (HD-DVD).

A valid question.  Costs will be high, no doubt, but highest for Microsoft.  Sony can make their own Blu-Ray transport mechanisms, and they don't have to pay royalties to themselves.  Microsoft would have to buy HD-DVD mechanisms from a supplier, and I think they would have to pay a royalty to the forum.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 11:54:27 AM »

'Leaked' info says that system out here Late October or Early November, and Europe by Xmas.  MS doesn't want to miss the early launch 'advantage' in their two biggest markets (they are #2 here and in Europe).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6766
http://www.mcvuk.com/html/news/story.jsp?newsId=1930051

If they are really going to get this thing out by Halloween, lots of specific details should be leaking out soon, as gearing up for manufacturing requires bringing in lots of third parties and it gets harder to keep things quiet.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:31:27 AM »

Here's something from all over the internets:

"Hollywood to sell HD DVD titles for US$19-29

TOKYO - Warner Bros Inc, Paramount Pictures Corp and Universal Studios will likely start selling HD DVD movie titles in Japan and the US in October for 2,000 yen to 3,000 yen (US$19-29).

The three major Hollywood movie studios, which back the HD DVD format, had already announced their plans to release a total of 89 HD DVD movie titles in the two nations. Most of these are expected to hit the market this year.

The generous pricing, which will put the differential between the HD DVD software and conventional DVD movie titles at no more than 1,000 yen, is believed to be aimed at aiding in HD DVD's fight against the rival Blu-ray Disc format. The HD DVD standard is being pushed by Toshiba Corp and others, while a separate group led by Sony Corp is rallying behind Blu-ray.

Thomas Lesinski, president of Paramount Pictures Worldwide Home Entertainment, said the differential between his company's HD DVD and conventional DVD movie titles would likely be around US$5-10. Since the firm's DVD movie software sells between US$15 and US$20, HD DVD titles will likely retail for 20-US$30.

Warner Bros and Universal Studios have yet to announce any decisions on pricing of HD DVD software, but their prices are expected to be in line with Paramount's. "

Looks like we are going to see a decent initial push for HD-DVD this year.  I kind of think there's a blown opportunity here, particularly if it wouldn't increase Microsoft's costs too much.  Though I have to admit that I doubt it would affect console marketshare much...

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Cane Corso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »

You just beat me to it (I really like that warning message!)....assuming they do it right (Wavebird) that would be pretty nice.

-Todd Harlan

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »

Has built in wireless dsl/cable been discussed or mentioned? If the 360 does indeed have different price points I would like to see this be an available feature.

Pieter

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »

I predicted on Dashboard chat a few weeks ago that 360 would be heavily oriented towards wireless.   Wireless is hot and sexy.

Including one wireless controller would be costly, but if wireless were standard for all controllers, look for controller prices to climb...

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 11:07:29 AM »

Some pictures of the xbox next controller from the ourcolony.net game:

and

Looks cool, and I love the movement of the white and black buttons over the triggers, and they're wireless,  but I don't know if I like the super smooth finish.† I would imagine it could get a little slippery if your hands sweat.† A bit of texture would be nice, but these are by no means the final word on what they'll look like.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 11:13:54 AM »

Buttons seem a little small, and I agree on the texture.   It's probably just a prototype.   With a little tweaking, it could rock.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 03:28:38 PM »

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 09:56:35 AM »

Secrets?

Iím hearing that rumors of an Xbox 360 removable hard drive that doubles as a media player, nicknamed the Xpod, is just that. Apparently, even Microsoft hasnít decided if they want to create such a beast. But if they do, rest assured that it wonít be selling for the $100 upgrade price that will get you a hard drive, backwards compatibility and WebTV at launch.

I also found out a little more about the whole backwards compatibility issue. The reason Msoft is going with two Xbox 360s at launch is because they wanted to save money on their new system by removing the hard drive, but the box needs a hard drive to guarantee backwards compatibility.

Interestingly enough, nVidia still owns patents on some of the original guts of the Xbox, so Msoft would have to pay royalties to the graphics company to use backwards compatibility. By moving this functionality to a $100 add-on, Msoft only has to pay royalties on that smaller amount of cash, instead of the full price of a new unit. Clever little buggers arenít they?

On the design side of things, it sounds like the removable

Some of these rumors just won't stop.

WebTV?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53