Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Zune  (Read 27491 times)

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
Re: Zune
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »

Does the Zune do gapless?  I've been eyeballing the Creative Zen 32GB flash-based player, but with a Zune 120GB near the same price, I'm almost willing to swallow the fact of having a hard-drive based player (and hoping it doesn't die on me, as it'll be in the car for 10 hours out of the day).  The Creative Zen is neat but has a few drawbacks, like no gapless playback, and the fact that the memory slot does not integrate into the player's main memory (you have to navigate it separately).  Still, there's a nagging part of me that says a flash-based player with no moving parts is going to keep me happier in the long run.

Got my younger daughter a 4GB Sansa Clip though...$49 at Best Buy.  Plenty for her needs!

-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »

I owe a Zune update and have been planning on it.  Zune does do gapless, it was a criteria for me as many here know.  It worked great at first glance but I have however had an issue where some albums aren't playing properly in gapless, while others play flawlessly.  My 60GB iPod video did have occasional gaps of a few milliseconds from time to time in the gapless firmware era, but this is more irritating (when it occurs).  I've actually been planning on doing a few rips to try to determine if I can isolate the problem.  Some of my albums were ripped with varying bitrates, especially the ones I did a long time ago.  And some are from FLAC and not straight from CD.  Others were non-DRM EMusic purchases.  Some are from Amazon, and so on.  Some are from the Zune Pass.  Because of the wide variety, it isn't immediately obvious where the issue lies but I'm going to try to figure it out.  And of course it could be something to do with the brand new 3.1 firmware, which is all I have used.

Using the Live Search deal I got the 120GB Zune for $180 shipped, no tax, no shipping, and that's basically impossible to beat for a name-brand player of that capacity.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »

Great price on it!!  In the meantime, Amazon has it for $224 right now.  (If I go Amazon, you'll get the credit Mike. ;) )  I didn't quite follow the Live Search deal earlier in this thread, though--is this still available?  Would it also apply to other Zune players?  (Or better yet, is there a link you can post here that a total idiot like me can follow?  :D )

A deal maker for me would have been if the Zune came in a 32GB flash version with a memory card expansion slot...
-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »

Great price on it!!  In the meantime, Amazon has it for $224 right now.  (If I go Amazon, you'll get the credit Mike. ;) )  I didn't quite follow the Live Search deal earlier in this thread, though--is this still available?  Would it also apply to other Zune players?  (Or better yet, is there a link you can post here that a total idiot like me can follow?  :D )

A deal maker for me would have been if the Zune came in a 32GB flash version with a memory card expansion slot...

It seems like the current cashback deal is 15%.  It was 30% a week or so ago.  It bounces around.

Here's a page that explains how it works:

http://search.live.com/cashback/howToUse

Basically you search for something on live.com, and follow the link to eBay, and do a "buy it now" from a seller (and make sure the item page shows the cashback info at the top).  I got a Zune for $240 shipped and got a $60 rebate direct into my PayPal (after a few weeks wait, but it is reliable) because that week the deal was 25%.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 02:27:36 PM »

Fantastic Mike--thanks much!  I'll keep checking that out.  Amazon's price was 10% off last week.

-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

The gapless problem that many people are having is a 3.1 bug (the latest firmware).  I have second-hand information that the team is definitely working on it.

Monoprice has super-cheap Zune cables!
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=zune

Also super cheap USB chargers (home and car) and super cheap iPod accessories:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=ipod

Sure, some other sources have stuff like this as cheap but they nail you on shipping, Monoprice does not.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »

Good to know--thanks! 

I am still divided on getting an 8GB gig for my better half, or something like the Zen Mozaic (which she likes the look of).  I'd thought of the Sansa Fuze, but heard of multiple problems with the headphone jack and the case splitting at that point (which makes the headphone jack lose contact). 

Finances are really bad here now, so I don't even think we'll get players this year.  We'll see what money rolls in.  Tax refund might be a possiblity.  :D
-= Rudy =-

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »

Dumb question(s) time:  how do you load a Zune with music?  Does it use a proprietary program, or Windows Media Player, or can you drag/drop directly to folders?  I've seen reviews of the Zune, but few mention how you load one up.  I take it that the Zune does come with some sort of application on CD, so you can update the firmware.

I know it takes MP3 and WMA...does it do any kind of lossless?  I would probably not use lossless anyway (I have too much I want to carry with me, and MP3 or WMA at a top bitrate sounds good enough for my portable use anyway), but it would be a nice option to have.   I've heard of a lossless WMA format as well.

BTW, someone local has a sealed 8GB Zune they're selling for $100 (they got it free in a Pepsi promotion, but already have another player they use).  If it's still available, I may grab it for Debbie.  I want to get her an 8GB player, and I'd feel better if I got her a decent one (especially at this price).
-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »

Zune uses a proprietary program that manages your collection and integrates with the marketplace.  It's basically an iTunes substitute with a very different UI.  I think it may have some integration available with WMP, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if there is an alternate way to load up the player but since I'm actually using the Zune Pass functionality to access music and channels that I don't own, and their program seamlessly mixes it in with my collection, It didn't occur to me to look elsewhere.

Once you point their app at your media folders, it automatically finds any additions/changes to those files (in all supported formats) in realtime and adds them to your collection.  You then have the choice to manually or automatically sync your portable player from your collection on your PC.

Lossless support is via WMA lossless, and there are free programs out there to convert WAV/FLAC/SHN/APE/AppleLossless/etc. to it.

FURIOU5 D

• Still gets grass-stains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »

Penny Arcade had a humorous strip about alleged remarks that president elect Barack Obama owns a Zune.

I really had no idea what they were talking about until I followed the links.

Original Blog indicating Obama owns a Zune.
Retraction, or rather, qualification of statements
General Ridiculousness

I hate people.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 10:34:57 AM »

Zune is Change that I can believe in.   8)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »

Got a 30GB Zune? It's probably bricked right now. Mine is.

EDIT - The fix seems to be letting the battery fully die, and then recharging. But if you JUST charged your battery like I did, that's gonna be a while. I can confirm this worked for me:

"Your zune will need a "hard reset."

To do this, use a small screwdriver to pop off the plastic shielding where the zune cable plugs into and remove the two screws on either side of the plug. Next pop the cover off and locate the battery plug at the top left corner of the zune, using your screw driver, pop the cable connection half way off, and do this to the other plug on the right side. Wait 3 seconds, then push down the right connector and then the left battery connecter. Your zune should start up immediately. Press the backing of the zune down (make sure headphone jack is aligned) and put the screws and cover back in place.

It's an easy process but if you're unsure don't attempt it if you think you'll screw it or something. :)"
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »

That's Microsaw(ft)esome!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »

Apparently the Toshiba Gigabeat died too.  That's the player that they licensed as a base to start building a line of MP3 players, and I guess the 30GB was closest to the reference design and included this code.  Funny thing is it wasn't even a Microsoft bug, it was a Toshiba bug.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 07:48:37 PM »

Terrific deal on the Zune on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/Zune-Digital-Media-Player-Bundle/dp/B001MBTRG4

$249.99 CDN, which includes the home A/V kit.  If I subtract my gift certificate balance, I could nab this for $113 US (provided I don't get nailed with some kind of "exchange" fee on the debit card).   My birthday's comin' up too.  :D

-= Rudy =-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11