Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• April 21, 2019, 04:51:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47

Author Topic: Personal Achievements - The Feel Good Thread!  (Read 88524 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Achievements - The Feel Good Thread!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 01:38:05 AM »

This is about the lamest achievement likely to grace these pages, but here goes.

I had to substitute for our seventh grade teacher today which always puts me in a sour mood. I went out to the field to collect them from PE and saw they were playing a game of softball. It looked like so much fun and I could tell that very few of them were really into it. I complained to myself that those youngsters didn't know how go they had it playing outside on a beautiful spring day instead of working for the Man. Then I got doubly pouty when I realized what an old man I sounded like.

I mentioned to the PE teacher that I wish I was out there playing ball when she said I was welcome to have an at bat. I haven't swung a bat in years, but I accepted her offer. I was triply disappointed when none of the students backed up in anticipation of my awesomeness, so I pointed to the non-existant bleachers a la the Babe. I let the first pitch go cause it was low and outside. The second one was low again, but over the plate, so I swung. I nearly decapitated the poor seventh grader who was pitching. I hadn't hit a fly ball over the heads of everyone, but it was a zippy enough line-drive to make it into the outfield.

I'm sure you all remember playing softball during PE. A class of 30 kids means 15 fielders, so my ball didn't get too far before someone scooped it up. I beat the throw to first and saw that the fielder had overthrown. I headed for second because the first baseman had no interest in hustling after the ball. I figured there was no sense in me stopping as I had no idea when I'd get another chance to play softball, so I rounded second and headed for third. This move got everyone's attention. I gave the third baseman my best "if you catch the ball I'm going to run your puny ass over" look and it worked, the throw went right by him. I couldn't stop now, heading for home I again threw caution to the wind and dove head-first across the plate. Home run.

I looked back and most of the fielders were literally rolling on the ground, laughing their asses off. They couldn't believe their math teacher just out-hustled them all for an in-field dinger. After accepting my share of high-fives I checked the score. I just changed the score from 12-0 to 13-0. That kinda took some of the thrill out of my trip around the bases, but whatever. For a few fleeting moments, my students thought I was cool!

8)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 02:29:27 AM »

Heh, that's great, Pieter!

I think I got one hit, ever, playing softball in Jr. High. Whenever I was at the plate, this one guy always waved everybody in. One at-bat after he did that, I hit a nice shot into the outfield right over his fucking head.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 07:38:32 AM »

This is about the lamest achievement likely to grace these pages, but here goes.

Are you kidding? This is a great story. Best part was the score. Classic.  :D
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »

Great story...  However, I got the impression that the students were laughing that you took a header into the dirt at home plate instead of laughing "with you" for hitting a homer.  Hehehe   :P
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »

Excellent!  I feel like I was there with you, laughing at those punks as you scored the game-winning 13th run for your team.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »

Nice job Pieter.  Any pictures after the slide?

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 10:01:49 AM »

However, I got the impression that the students were laughing that you took a header into the dirt at home plate instead of laughing "with you" for hitting a homer

That crossed my mind. I choose to think they were laughing at their own ineptness.

Any pictures after the slide?

I assume it looked something like this...

I forgot to mention that I had given one of my math students her fifth detention of the year which resulted in an automatic two-day suspension. That was an awkward parent-teacher conference after school with grass stains on my knees and a big dirt clump on my belly.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »

Jeez,

What a dick.

(I'm talking about Charlie Hustle)
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »

5 detentions = 2 day suspension?  Man...I would have been expelled by your school then.   ::)

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 10:27:24 AM »

Hahaha.....  Nice pic Peter...  Did you have a wager on the game?  Hehehe.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »

Did you have a wager on the game?

Yes indeed! I wagered my dignity. What if that seventh grade girl had struck me out!? :D

deceptikonXXX

• Evil Prevails
    • View Profile
    • Dylan's Xbox360 Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 03:46:38 PM »

Heh, that's great, Pieter!

I think I got one hit, ever, playing softball in Jr. High. Whenever I was at the plate, this one guy always waved everybody in. One at-bat after he did that, I hit a nice shot into the outfield right over his fucking head.

Good job Pieter!  Since we're talking about softball, I may as well share my short story from last night.  I play left field, and played deep most of the game catching everything within range and keeping line drives in front of me (like any outfielder should).  Our 3rd baseman convinced me (4th inning = 4-5 beers) to play in since they hadn't hit a single deep ball.  We're down 13-7, and a huge guy gets up to bat with the bases loaded, but he hasn't hit one deep the whole game.  Of course he strokes it 30 feet over my head and I chase it down only to see him about to turn past 3rd base......in the park grand slam to end the game on mercy rule. 

On top of that, I shredded my knee (already had a scab from football) "sliding" into second on what should have been a force out, but the guy tried to tag me and dropped the ball.  Of course I look down and see my knee brace is filled with blood.  I refuse to wear pants because it's too hot (nobody wants to see me in baseball pants), but I pay the price.  I need safer hobbies.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »

Summer vacation officially begins today! Free at last! 8)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »

Hope you have a very fun and safe one.   You stink!!!!

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »

Pieter, have a great vacation! Got any plans?

BTW, I'm still in school...I hate you right now. ;)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 47