Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 21, 2019, 05:32:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killzone (PS3)  (Read 8438 times)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Killzone (PS3)
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

Public Beta coming this year:

Guerilla's Seb Downie has jumped on the killzone.com boards and let fans of the game know that, in keeping with the year's fashion trends, they'll be holding a public beta for Killzone.

"Of course there is going to be a public beta. I have always said that any game that has an online mode needs to go through a public beta to ensure it works as intended."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Killzone (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:25:20 AM »

New Killzone 2 gameplay trailer at Kotaku

Have to say, this looks pretty darn good. Wish I could play it with a 360 controller, but wow, this looks pretty nice.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
Re: Killzone 2 (PS3)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

Had a chance to try the Killzone 2 demo this morning.  First impressions:  Looks great, sounds great and the DS3 sucks at FPS games.

It really looks like they came pretty close to the mark with the "bullshot" CGI cinemas they originally showed.  Lots of detail, some great effects, and some really excellent animation (bodies & facial).

But damn the DS3 controller sucks for FPS games.  The DS3 layout and analog sticks pretty much ruin the demo.

If I wasn't limiting myself to 3 games this Spring, K2 would make it on.  As it stands SFIV, Halo Wars and RE5 will be getting my money.  I'll wait on a used K2, or a pricedrop.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

I'm definitely going to rent K2.  I'm also up for renting Resistance 2 if there is ever a group that wants to play through the co-op together.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »

This is a pretty impressive game. Very immersive and realistic. Fantastic graphics and sound. The detail of your surroundings is amazing, smoke and ash in the air, fires burning. Wow. A minor quibble is a slight hitching when it streams a new section, but it's nothing too distracting.

One thing I freakin' HATE about the game is that when going through the menus, they've added an effect that makes it look like the convergence is off, with red and blue separating from the white text. I have no idea why they thought this was a good artistic choice. I have convergence issues anyway, and thought my set was failing. I think anyone with an HDTV is going to assume the same. I would like to see that fixed in a patch. Very poor decision by Guerrilla.

But the game is definitely worth a purchase. I haven't tried MP yet, but I did enjoy the online beta.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »

Guerrilla was probably going for a "retro" thing.  You're assuming that there are others out there with CRT RPTV's.  It won't bother most of us with real TV's.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

Oh, it's on, now.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »

I agree with Allen on all points about KZ2. Any Microsoft fanboy who says this game doesn't look amazing is smoking crack.

I've been playing a lot of Skirmish with AI. The only disappointing thing is that in order to play OFFLINE with all the classes (you only have access to the Assault class at first), you have to unlock them by playing and getting promoted ONLINE. Hopefully they fix that with another 16MB patch.

I really like how the MP is all gametypes rolled into one. For example, the first 5 minutes might be search and destroy, then the gametype changes to team DM, then it changes to VIP, etc. It does this smoothly as you are playing. No returning to lobby or even a respawn/restart. I like how the "announcer" is someone at headquarters giving your team orders. Each gametype is a mission that needs to be completed. After approx 5 gametypes are played, whichever team won the most, wins the entire match.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:33 AM »

I've now played a few days of KZ2 online multiplayer, and while it's enjoyable, I have to say that the unlocks are quite unbalanced. Granted, people said the same about COD4, but let me compare them. In COD4, from the beginning, all players have access to all classes, and a basic weapon for each of those classes. Unlocks only give you better versions of those weapons.

However, in KZ2, from the beginning, all players only have access to ONE class (the soldier), and the 2 very similar machine guns for it. You have to get kills/points to unlock not only the other classes, but weapons as well. And they aren't quick unlocks. You need nearly 2800 points to unlock the sniper class. I've got around 220. You don't even unlock the first class (the medic) until 350 points. Add this to the fact that not only can you not achieve unlocks in offline AI skirmishes, but you MUST play online to get the unlocks to even USE in offline play.

Put it this way: a casual player won't be playing the saboteur or sniper, probably ever. It's like KZ2, the MMO.  Obviously, a patch could take care of this to at least have them available offline, but they've already gimped offline with their last patch/bandaid. You used to be able to browse the map descriptions in AI skirmish to help you choose a map. Somehow that ability has been removed in that last patch to remove AI from online play.

Anyways, the game looks amazing. As someone who definitely loves his 360 more than his PS3, I can honestly say I think KZ2 is the best looking shooter out right now. I'd place it slightly above Gears2. The control, however, is another issue. I'm sure it's just preference, but the game "feels" different than COD4 or Halo or UT3, or any of the other shooters that feel solid to me. It's possibly because there is absolutely no aim assist in the game. I thought possibly that meant that there was mouse support, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe I'm just getting old. I'm usually in the top 10% on any given map in most shooters. I was struggling to stay out of the bottom 40% in KZ2.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:31:01 AM »

I'm hoping to give KZ2 a try next week.  Looking forward to it.  I hate to ask, but how is the analog dead zone?  Most PS3 games go with the default large dead zone, but it can be tightened up (see Super Stardust HD).

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »

I'm hoping to give KZ2 a try next week.  Looking forward to it.  I hate to ask, but how is the analog dead zone?  Most PS3 games go with the default large dead zone, but it can be tightened up (see Super Stardust HD).

The deadzone seemed very tight. Felt like almost any movement on the stick produced movement on screen. However, I had to turn the sensitivity way down to be able to hit anything. I typically have a medium/medium-high sensitivity in games with an aim-assist (no, I'm not speaking of auto-aim), but KZ2's lack of any assist has made it difficult for me to have the sensitivity above 25%. Right now, an enemy can put a clip into my back before I can 180 on him.

UPDATE: Oh, I forgot to mention...something else very frustrating with online play is that you get absolutely zero points for assists. When nearly every online game is 32 players on a map, it's tough to be the one guy on your team who lands the killing blow.

REALLY FRUSTRATED UPDATE: I can't stress how much the online MP won't be for casual players. I feel like every time I log in to play everyone has progressed leaps and bounds past me. I just got off 3 different servers where more than half the players were setting auto-turrets (engineer) and sniping me 3 seconds out of my spawn point. Apparently the "only play with players my rank" selection has no effect.

LESS FRUSTRATED UPDATE: Ok. Don't use "Quick Join" to find a game. Doing so ignores any filters you have. However, if you search for a server, then you can find games with people near your rank. Did MUCH better when everyone else didn't have a rocket launcher and could build flying death bot machine nests.

Apparently Penny-Arcade loves the unlock system as much as I do.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »

There is some aim-assist, Mark. Apparently, with the shotgun, if you have ironsights set as a hold, your reticle will snap to the nearest target (works on- and off-line). I have no doubt this will be changed via patch.

I love the secondary handgun! Finally, there's a revolver that doesn't feel gimped. When I'm in trouble, that's my go-to weapon. This will probably also get nerfed.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »

There is some aim-assist, Mark. Apparently, with the shotgun, if you have ironsights set as a hold, your reticle will snap to the nearest target (works on- and off-line). I have no doubt this will be changed via patch.

So, there's some aim assist if you have ironsights/zoom set to "hold" as opposed to "toggle"? (which is how I play)

Guess I better switch up before they patch/nerf that!

UPDATE: Wow. You are correct. The shotgun (and only the shotgun) will snap to target if in "hold" mode. Too bad it's only the shotgun and too bad using hold mode makes the other weapons nearly impossible to use while zoomed. (at least for me...I find it very difficult to hold the right thumbsitck clicked in while also moving it to aim)

It'd be nice if we could actually set what buttons do what. Oh well.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

I played quite a bit of KZ2 over the weekend, and here's a few things that I learned in regards to quickly progressing (or at least progressing quicker) in Killzone 2 online.

- The latest patch added a control scheme that is essentially COD4s
   (L1 = zoom, right thumb stick = melee, left thumb stick = sprint)
   my enjoyment of the game easily doubled once I started using it

- It's really easy to mute people in the lobby. I used it extensively.

- Try to keep from TKing. Each round you complete in which you got at least 20 kills and 0 TKs will get you a good conduct ribbon. Get 8 of these and you'll spawn with more ammo/grenades.

- When starting out, I prefer to use the default rifle (the one with the green tinted ACOG-style scope). The other one does more damage, but the one with the scope has greater range.

- Using the server filters, search for a large size game on a server playing ONLY the body count gametype. Playing ONLY the bodycount gametype is the quickesst way to gain XP. It will go 3x as fast once you obtain your Body Count medal.

(Getting the medal requires that you obtain 8 body count ribbons. You get a body count ribbon if you score at least 10% of the total kills in a round of body count. This isn't too hard on a server running only body count. It doesn't matter if your team wins or loses, as long as you get the 10%. - Once you have the medal, each of your kills during body count gametypes will count for 3 instead of 1 point. FYI - destroying a turret or flying bot still counts for only 1 point.)

- When you unlock the medic, switch to him. In addition to your kills, you'll start getting points for each revive.

- Get at least 5 revives per round, and you'll get a medic ribbon. Get 8 medic ribbons and you'll unlock the ability to throw health packs on the ground.

- Stick with the medic even once you unlock the engineer (save him for later - will explain below).

- Once you obtain the Tactician, switch to him. As soon as the level starts, run out of the spawn area and throw your mobile spawn point. Just make sure you get a room or two away from the inital spawn, because people won't use a spawn point near the start. You'll probably be competing with other Tactitians to get your spawn points out (they are in the form of a smoke grenade), so keep your eyes on your spwan ammo (it's what lets you know you can spawn a point, since there are a limited number that can be out on a level). If five people use your spawn point (unknown if its "used 5 times" or "5 unique users") then you'll get a spawn ribbon. Get 8 spawn ribbons and you'll unlock the ability to call in a flying gun turret.

The next 3 classes are: (I still don't have Saboteur and Scout)
 - Soldier (has extra armor and spawns with rocket launcher - can super sprint)
 - Saboteur (like spy from Team Fortress, can disguise as the enemy)
 - Scout (sniper and can cloak)

When you are ready to put some time in with the Engineer, then start building automated gun turrets. Get 5 kills with your turrets in a round, and you'll get an engineer ribbon. Get 8 ribbons and you'll unlock the ability to repair manned turrets and create ammo dumps. The reason I say leave this until later is that I found it EXTREMELY difficult to get kills with the auto turrets. I still don't have a single ribbon, let alone the medal. It only takes one person 5 or so seconds to destroy one, and 2 or three people can destroy them in less than 3. They're also not very accurate. It definitely seems to be the toughest unlock (AFAIK), so leaving it until you've at least obtained the ones above is probably a good idea.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »

Thanks, Geese! I still haven't ventured online, but that will definitely help when I do.

Pages: [1] 2