Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• November 14, 2018, 01:17:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Niche game ideas  (Read 2811 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Niche game ideas
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »

The 2007 America's Cup is going on right now, and as I'm watching it I can't help but wonder what the current gen of consoles could do with a sailing title. We know developers love to tout their graphical prowess with water effects. I'm certain the 360/PS3 could pump out some great ocean conditions. And my current experience with Forza 2 leaves me with no doubt that the systems could provide wonderfully deep options for designing your own yacht. Keel design, hull design, sail design, it could all be done. All past America's Cup boats could be included and unlockable. One could see how the '88 Stars and Stripes catamaran does against the Kiwi's later Black Magic. The online possibilities would be terrific. Regattas, the Louis Vuitton Challenger Cup, and then the grand-daddy of them all - the America's Cup. I'd have so much fun navigating the waters with a dozen other boats out on the course, looking for the best wind. You could even develop a fan that sits atop your television and blows air in the direction/speed of the in-game action. Just don't expect me to shell out money for a wireless tiller.

So all you game designers out there reading tehbias, get on it! I want my sailing sim!

Anyone else have some niche game ideas rattling around in your skulls?

scobeto

• View Profile
Re: Niche game ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

I remember playing some Genesis title (I think) where you had to sail around from world to world. It was a RPG, but I can't remember the title. I do remember crying a lot when I was sailing because it was so boring.

I know zilch about sailing. I think a sailing game would sell about 3 copies.

Maybe a game about watching grass grow would be better.

LOL.

Sorry, I can't help it. I am in an awful mood. I shouldn't take it out on your game idea. I'm a total ass. Maybe it would be fun to sail a GTA3 skinned boat in a race. What do I know.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:05:52 AM »

So all you game designers out there reading tehbias, get on it! I want my sailing sim!

Sail Simulator 4

Sail Simulator 4 gives you the chance to recreate the thrill of sailing on your PC. Choose from seven prestigious boats and sail on the famous Isle d'Ouessant in France or the Vierwaldstatter Sea in Switzerland. Learn the basics, master the instruments, configure the sailing conditions and set sail. It really is you versus the elements.

Virtual Skipper 4 trailer

32nd America’s Cup: The Game
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:19:04 AM »

They're actually up to Virtual Skipper 5, which is pretty tempting. But what I really want is a console game with online play and all the customization of Forza 2. From the reviews I've read of AC:TG-VS5 - well, this review, there wasn't a lot to choose from - you pretty much just get the boats and that's it. If anyone finds it for less than the advertised $45, let me know!

Oops. Didn't notice you found VS5 as well. Thanks!

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »

Has anyone played Trainz? What do you think? It's $20 on the Mac App store.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

If you want games like this, Pieter, you're going to have to move to Japan. They go nuts for mind-numbingly boring realism simulators.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:01 AM »

Remember Folding@Home on the PS3?

Well, apparently, humans are better at folding proteins than computers are.

And you can help science by folding your own, by playing these games...
(these have been out for a while, apparently - but I just heard about them on NOVA the other night)

FoldIt - Solve Puzzles for Science
EteRNA - Played by Humans - Scored by Nature

Article:
FoldIt gamers solve AIDS puzzle that has baffled scientists for decades

Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »

!  That is very cool!