Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:46:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: TehBias Concert Thread  (Read 14556 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: TehBias Concert Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »

(it was apparent they were doing the obligatory 'wait for the crowd to cheer encore')

At Jonathon Coulton's show at PAX East, he said something like, "This is my last song...Well, not really. I'll leave, you guys will clap for a little bit, then I'll come back out and sing another one. Or you can remain totally silent and I won't come back out." He also played his "big hit" early, which is refreshing. I hate it when a band won't play the popular song that made most people want to see them in the first place, or save it for the encore. I saw REM a couple of times early in their career and they really acted snide towards the audience. Stipe said, "We know what song you want to hear, but we're not going to play it."
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

jwClark96

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »

Any of our neighbors to the north like Matthew Good Band?  I went to one of his concerts in Buffalo on March 27th and had a great time.  It was at the Town Ballroom, which is a nice little venue.  He played some old stuff like, Load Me Up & Weapon.  I never heard anything off the new album until the concert and they were great.  I'm not big on concerts but great venue + great band energy = GREAT TIME.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »

I got Jessy tickets to see Alejandro Sanz for Mother's Day. Should be painful.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »

I got Jessy tickets to see Alejandro Sanz for Mother's Day. Should be painful.

The concert was this evening and i actually had a really good time.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »

:revoked:

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »

Did you throw your panties at him?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

James is finally coming back to the US and I just bought tickets! I can't explain how excited I am, so here's some imagery to give you an idea.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »

James is finally coming back to the US and I just bought tickets! I can't explain how excited I am, so here's some imagery to give you an idea.

I saw James at Peter Gabriel's WOMAD festival in 1993.  They were good.  Other acts included the Stereo MCs, Crowded House, and Lenny Kravitz.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

I saw Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs, Twilight Singers) do his small-band acoustic show last night, and it was AWESOME.  Since the show was in Cincinnati, Whigs' bassist John Curley sat in for about six songs, it was quite a treat.  Check him out if he comes to your city.

A week ago I saw The Thermals (indie punk band from Portland) in a small bar with about 200 people crammed into the music room.  This show was equally great.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »

Raise
Hell
This
Summer!!
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »

Now that I think of it, I saw at least 70 bands since the beginning of April, with very few repeats.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 09:04:41 AM »

Last night I took DeeDee to see the Grateful Dead at Alpine Valley, on July 18, 1989. No, it wasn't a flashback. You've probably seen the ads before movies to see the Metropolitan Opera in the movie theater. Same thing, just with a recorded GD show. It's an annual event. It wasn't the best show I've ever seen, but it was certainly the closest. One really nice thing was being able to see the genial interplay between guitarist Jerry Garcia and keyboardist Brent Mydland. Those two genuinely had fun playing together. Brent beamed like a little kid playing with his heroes (sadly, that's apparently the only joy he had in his life, and he filled the void with drugs and committed suicide the next year. Garcia said even though he was in the band for 11 years, he always thought of himself as "the new guy.") Garcia had some nice jams, and it was cool to see close-up of his fretwork. Bassist Phil Lesh really caught fire at the end, but stayed pretty mellow through the show. Bob Weir played his terrible MIDI and slide guitar. I can't even figure out what the hell that guy was ever playing. And even 20 years on, Drumz/Space still sucks. It didn't help that this was the first show I saw on nothing stronger than Tylenol. The guy next to me smuggled in some beers and weed, and it doesn't feel like a Grateful Dead show if you're not next to a fat, stoned drunk! A bigger crowd than I expected, but there was only the slightest hint of Patchouli in the air. A few more younger fans than I'd thought would show, and the hippies seemed to have mostly converted to full suburbia. Everyone had a good time, and I'll be happy to go to the show next year.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »

I saw James at the El Rey in Los Angeles last week. It was the night before they played Coachella, so I think they were holding back a bit. Some songs made a big impact, but others were like listening to the CD. They only played for 90 minutes, but managed to fit in 18 songs. The whole thing felt a bit rushed, especially without the extended sing-along version of Sometimes and not playing Sound or Ring the Bells at all. Also didn't get my favorite James song, Five-O.

What we did get, and what they had promised to do, was a number of songs they didn't play back in 2010. It was very cool to hear songs that are dear to me, but maybe wouldn't make the greatest hits album like: Oh My Heart, Waterfall, Seven, Play Dead, Honest Joe, I Wanna Go Home, and English Beefcake.

I can see up above that I never posted about my first James concert in 2010. It was the second best concert I've ever been to. We did the whole show up early and get as close to the stage as possible and stand through hours of waiting, weak opening act, and more waiting before James came on. Amazing night.

Link to a video of James at Coachella playing Sometimes. If someone knows how to embed vimeo vids, please do so or let me know how. This is from the official stream so it looks and sounds great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]