Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:59:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Amazon Kindle = iPod for books  (Read 13270 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: The Amazon Kindle = iPod for books
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »

We have libraries here. They give you a free card and then let you rent books for free with that card. They are Nazi like with late fees, but other than that it is pretty sweet.

That's really an argument against buying paper books as much as it is against buying ebooks.  Actually, it's more against buying paper books, since ebooks have substantial convenience and environmental benefits over both library books and purchased paper books.

My library loans CDs and DVDs here, maybe iTunes, Netflix, and Blockbuster are stupid?   :P

The reality is that the ebook market isn't going to hit the mainstream for years and even the most die-hard advocates of it admit it.  That doesn't mean that it makes no sense.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 07:56:21 AM »

We have libraries here. They give you a free card and then let you rent books for free with that card. They are Nazi like with late fees, but other than that it is pretty sweet.

That's really an argument against buying paper books as much as it is against buying ebooks.  Actually, it's more against buying paper books, since ebooks have substantial convenience and environmental benefits over both library books and purchased paper books.

Yeah, that was what I was talking about. I was commenting on Allen's statement about the price of paperback books.

I wasn't arguing against book reader gadgets at all. Not unlike the iPod, and cell phones with internet access, I personally have no use for one at this point. But just because I have no use for them doesn't mean I think they don't make any sense for other people. I think they are all great little doohickies.

I was just letting Allen know about the library to try and save him $10.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2008, 09:08:47 AM »

I know about the library. It's the place I owe about $30 in fines.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »

I know about the library. It's the place I owe about $30 in fines.

Well, you should probably get the Sony then. It doesn't sound like you can handle the responsibility that comes with the library card.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »

It's more like, "What are these library books doing on the bookshelves mixed in with our books?" or "Why is that bag of library books I asked you to take back still in your car?"

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »

It's more like, "What are these library books doing on the bookshelves mixed in with our books?" or "Why is that bag of library books I asked you to take back still in your car?"

Save it for the Library Cops.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »

After hearing the guys on MacBreak Weekly talking about the Kindle it reminded me the thing exists. Did anyone here ever get one?

Am I right from reading the reviews that you can't read the Kindle in the dark? You need light to read it, just like a paper book?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »

After hearing the guys on MacBreak Weekly talking about the Kindle it reminded me the thing exists. Did anyone here ever get one?

Am I right from reading the reviews that you can't read the Kindle in the dark? You need light to read it, just like a paper book?

That's correct.  Just like a paper book.  If you want to get an idea, go to the Sony store and check out the Sony Reader.  It uses the same display tech.

And if anybody wants to ever buy one, PLEASE buy it through us.  They give a substantial referral payment.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »

PLEASE buy it through us.  They give a substantial referral payment.

Can you put that referral link on the main page? Maybe under Teh Bias Leaderboard or something. Or is it somewhere already that I am missing?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »

I've added a link to the news box for now.  It uses a redirect page at Amazon that records us as the referrer and sends you to the main page.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »

For those in the know: Will there be a backlit Kindle-like device in the future and I just need to wait, or is it something that will never work with the e-ink technology?

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 12:30:58 AM »

It's not something that I have heard is going to happen soon with e-ink and the idea of it conflicts with my understanding of the technology.  On the other hand, lcd screens are getting more and more pixel dense, so an ebook reader quality screen that is backlit (and thus gets much worse battery life) may not be all that far off.  In that case, though, it is more likely that the device will be designed to do more than just books (as if the kindle isnít)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:07 AM »

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »

I can't afford a Kindle in any way :D but I have been following the device on Amazon.  It does look pretty cool, and the second version is out, along with a Kindle DX with a larger screen (which "oldtimers" like me can appreciate). 

I just don't know if they'd have the books I want to read.  I've been getting some older biographies from the library recently.  And here in Michigan, we have an inter-library loan program, so I've had to pull a few books from remote branches.  The current one I'm reading is "Dancemusicsexromance" by Per Nilsen (a bio of Prince's first 10 years), and I just finished "Bossa Nova" by Ruy Castro, which was published several years ago.  These are what I'm after, as my reading habits are about as non-mainstream as you can get.  IOW, you would rarely find me reading anything on the NY Times best-seller list, and any of the novel series I used to read are a decade or two old. 

Still, it'd be neat to take this on a trip...it would beat carrying around a bag of books.  It may also be neat if our local newspapers had a Kindle edition, as they quit publishing a full paper edition every day.  (Three or four days a week, they publish a "compact" edition that is not available via home delivery.)
-= Rudy =-

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:35 AM »

If I were a student I would love to tote a Kindle around in lieu of all those textbooks.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5