Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:44:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Amazon Kindle = iPod for books  (Read 13252 times)

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
Re: The Amazon Kindle = iPod for books
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

I'm still not sold on a Kindle, mainly because the majority of the books I want to read on it aren't available, and are in such limited availability that their publishers would not bother converting it due ot cost and lack of interest.  I'd say at least four out of five books I've searched for aren't available.

Having said that, I finally got to play with one at a local store for the first time last weekend, and it impresses me as being a well-thought-out package.  I was navigating around it in no time.  And, I even did some viral marketing by retrieving a sample chapter of a friend's book and leaving it displayed on the Kindle before I left the store.  :D  Even though it's still pixellated, I like the "digital paper" approach.  It IS very easy on the eyes.  I would probably only get the WiFi version, as I am usually at home anyway when I'm reading, and have no pressing need to have books "on demand" wherever I go, and would just load up with whatever I needed before I left the house.   If I need the internet, I have my phone with me.  :D

We will end up with one in the future, as others in the house could make good use of it.  For the limited number of titles for me to read, though, it doesn't make much sense at this point if it were just me using the Kindle.  But I DO like it. 

I'd like it even better if they would put college textbooks on it... ;)
-= Rudy =-

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »

Got it, love it!  The clarity of the e-ink is off the charts.  I am very impressed and would definitely recommend it to anyone who even remotely enjoys reading.  I started a trial subscription to the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal and have enjoyed reading them so far.  It is a good complement to the iPad.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »

I got a 3G graphite Kindle for my birthday. I've only downloaded some free books (Poe, Gulliver's Travels, etc), but it is an impressive device. The case my wife received from Best Buy for free sucks, so I am on the prowl for another.

Is there an efficient way to search for free books via the Kindle?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »

Suzannah got me the Amazon case with the telescoping light and I love it.  Very well made.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »

Suzannah got me the Amazon case with the telescoping light and I love it.  Very well made.

Yeah, I saw that. Then I started thinking that it was one third the cost of the Kindle itself. The math didn't work out for me.

Now, if Suzannah would like to buy one for me, it would be an entirely different equation.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »

Every impression I've read says the official case is worth the cost and adds a great deal of functionality.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]