Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:19:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kids' Books: Recommendations?  (Read 7198 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids' Books: Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »

Here are some recommendations from my wife:

well nice try everyone, but this is a job for a librarian! Try Lemony Snicket's A Bad Beginning series, the Spiderwick Chronicle series, The Royal Diaries series (historical fiction of real life princesses) and graphic novels: the Bone series (Jeff Smith) and Babymouse series.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:10:55 PM »

What are the Spiderwick Chronicles about?  I had never heard of them until I saw a movie was coming out...on IMAX no less.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 12:59:50 AM »

What are the Spiderwick Chronicles about?  I had never heard of them until I saw a movie was coming out...on IMAX no less.

Hey, I'm just the messenger.  There's always Wikipedia.  :)

blackcalx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:19:45 AM »

My five-year-old has really enjoyed the Mouse Guard comics.  It probably helps that I helped her pick it out from the local comic shop.  Now that it's out in a graphic novel format I might pick it up as a stocking stuffer.  She's in kingergarten but reads (with comprehension) at a second-grade level.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »

I just ordered the Mouse Guard book from Amazon. Also, we've been watching the Jane and the Dragon show on PBS, so I got the first two books as well.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 11:02:59 AM »

She's in kingergarten but reads (with comprehension) at a second-grade level.

Very good! 

My buddy, who's a few years younger than me, doesn't have any kids yet, but he was amazed at how "advanced" my daughter was, even in terms of vocabulary.  I'm amazed at how much they are teaching our kids in school these days--things have really changed from when I went to school.  She was doing in kindergarten what we only started in first grade, and they now have homework just about every night of the week.  Debbie's daughter has between 1-2 hours of homework every night, and she's in 7th grade. 

What is interesting is that, during the summer and on weekends, the kids are here with me.  Four years ago, my younger one was four years old, and she started playing the Zelda: Wind Waker game, but was always asking me what it said on the screen.  So, she didn't play too often.  But as time went on, I noticed she was asking for help a lot less, and then rarely asking me for help by the time she was six.  It's almost like her comprehension picked up because she had a mission: she wanted to finish the game without any help.

I have two polar opposites: my older one, 13, has severe learning disabilities, and can't even read sentences.  She recognizes simpler words, but that's about it.  Books with a lot of pictures are the best for her, something we can read to her at night.  *sigh*
-= Rudy =-

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »

My five-year-old has really enjoyed the Mouse Guard comics.  It probably helps that I helped her pick it out from the local comic shop.  Now that it's out in a graphic novel format I might pick it up as a stocking stuffer.  She's in kingergarten but reads (with comprehension) at a second-grade level.

There's a Mouse Guard RPG! Also, Vol. 2: Winter 1152 is available for pre-order, out in August.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »

The one name I haven't seen here that jumps to mind is Roald Dhal. When I was eight or nine I read James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I remember that my aunt and uncle disapproved of the books because of language, so you might want another opinion before handing these classics over.

It might be a little young for your daughter, but I really enjoyed Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I bet she'd like it even more than I did being that it's from a girl's perspective. I'm pretty sure it's a whole series of books with which to hook her in.

Once she adds another couple of years, you might want to try an Agatha Christie mystery. My favorites in junior high were the ones with Hercule Poirot. I think you'll find them very inoffensive considering they deal with murder, and the cases will be great for stretching her mind.

My wife goes on and on about how wonderful the Anne of Green Gables series is. She claims to have read them over and over before the age of thirteen.

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

I loved Roald Dhal books when I was a kid! I lost count of how many times I read "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory". My other favourite was "George's Marvelous Medicine". That one is hilarious!!

I, too, enjoyed the Little House of the Prairie books when I was around 8-9 years old.

Pieter, your wife is absolutely right; the Anne of Green Gables series is wonderful! I read those books too when I was younger. Also by Lucy Maud Montgomery is Emily of New Moon. It takes place on Price Edward Island (same place as Anne of Green Gables) and those were great books, too.

I don't know if they still publish them or not but the Babysitter's Club & Babysitter's Little Sister were two favourite book series of mine when I was about 7 (and I continued to read those books till I was about 12).

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »

Another voracious reader here.

I'll second the Roald Dahl books, Nimh, Narnia, and the Little House on the Prairie series.

Some other suggestions.

The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander.
Earthsea by Ursual K. Le Guin
Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper
Dragon Keepers #1: Dragon in the Sock Drawer by Kate Klimo
The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams, Deborah Beale, and Greg Swearingen
Stuart Little & Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »

Probably not her thing, but at least have Timothy Zahn's Star Wars trilogy in your library in case she wants to read them some day. I don't know if he did more, but I'm thinking specifically of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »

Just Because is an awesome book. The characters really hit home for my family situation.
Pages: 1 [2]