Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• September 26, 2018, 04:56:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battlefield: Heroes  (Read 3584 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Battlefield: Heroes
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »

Battlefield: Heroes = "free" PC gaming

Basically they get their money from ads and from selling you DLC.

Given the (apparent) poor sales of many PC games due to piracy lately, I think we'll see more of this in the future.

My interest in the specific title, though I don't know if I'll ever go back to being an online PC shooter player, is raised by the fact that it's a 'less complex' installment.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Battlefield: Heroes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »

The latest issue of Gaming for Windows has a multi-page article on Battlefield: Heroes, and it's chock full of gameplay screenshots. The game definitely has an art style not unlike that of the recent TF2. They mention that they wanted to do the cartoony art for the first BF1942, but it just didn't pan out at the time.

The game will also force 3rd person view as part of making the game more accessible to the masses.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »

I'm intrigue by it.  I may just give it a shot.  I like the TF2 art design in it. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »

I wonder if there are any support classes that I could play competitively with a joypad.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »

HD Trailer for Battlefield Heroes over at Fileplanet

The trailer does have in-game footage, but not until around 1:30 into it.

Looks really good/fun, in the same spirit as TF2.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »

Just got my beta key today. I'm in.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »

Look forward to hearing your impressions, Mark.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

Simple - Casual - Fun

First, you go to the website and create an id and log in. (It's in Closed Beta right now) The browser will attempt to install an app, which then proceeds to download the game. After installing (download took around 20 minutes) you have to create a character. You are allowed to have up to 5 characters total. You have to choose a faction to create your character in. Either the Royals or the Nationals. The Royals look like American Tommies & British Doughboys from WWI, and the Nationals look like some sort of German army from WWI/WW2. No actual historical emblems are used. There are 4 classes to pick from Soldier, Gunner, Spy and something else. Hmmm, maybe there's only 3 - can't really remember - I chose the basic Soldier.

I started with a basic SMG, basic Shotgun, Health pack, and stick of dynamite. The store was full of weapon (gameplay) and clothing (aesthetic) upgrades - none of which I could by yet, because they require valor points to purchase.

To start, I had two options - I could either click PLAY NOW, or I could type the name of a friend and it would search for a game with them. I have no Battlefield friends, so I clicked PLAY NOW.

About 10 seconds later I was in a level. Gameplay is basic area capture style. Stand near an enemy flag to convert it to neutral and then to your side. Ammo is unlimited, but you still have to reload. Controls are very basic. You can move, jump, crouch, fire and alt fire (to zoom if you have a sniper rifle). Hitting jump while in the air will deploy your chute for jumping off cliffs and buildings and out of planes.

There are very simple vehicles in the game. Jeeps, Tanks, Airplanes and AA guns (not actually a vehicle). Same button to get in as to get out. Driving controls very simple. All vehicles can carry passengers. Even planes. You actually sit on the wings of the plane. Battlefield Heroes doesn't take itself too seriously, so you probably shouldn't either. The vehicles look different on each side, but perform the same. For example, the Royals tank looks like a Sherman, and the Nationals tank looks like a Tiger. Any player can access any vehicle, regardless of what faction it's from.

I think what will keep the game accessible to the public is how you level up. You get points for pretty much anything you do to help your team. Kills get points. Taking flags gets points. Damaging an enemy gets points. You get partial points for partially capturing a flag. You can go an entire round with zero kills, and you'll still get points, assuming you at least HIT someone at some point.

When you hit a new level, you are granted some valor points. You can use these points to purchase different weapons. I hesitate to say better, because they are just different. For example, your starting SMG has medium range and medium damage. You can later purchase one with long range and low damage or short range and high damage. Different strokes, right? Oh, and all upgrades you purchase have a time limit. The upgraded SMG and shotgun I got last 7 days. People might initially cry foul, but I think it's a good idea. I didn't purchase these upgrades with real money. I earned them with valor points. Within an hour, I had enough valor points to repurchase them again, if I want them. I don't have to for 7 more days. It means that if you don't play for a while, your character reverts (just a little) because your equipment will expire. Your valor points, however, do not.

There are also missions. These are like little mini achievements that you take on yourself. You can have up to three missions active at any time, and unless specifically noted, your progress in missions carries over from round to round and server to server. One of your first missions may be "Get 1 kill" - reward 10 valor points. A little more difficult one might be capture 3 flags, or do 1000 damage to vehicles. (these are cumulative) I have one right now that's "get 7 kills - in one round".

There are also special abilities that you can purchase. I've been upgrading my heal ability to do more. There are other ones that are locked, and I believe that means you have to pay real money to unlock those.

On the graphics and sound front - its a campy style that I'd say is somewhere between Orange Box Team Fortress and World of Warcraft. Damage amounts pop up over the enemy as you are hitting them which makes it easy to see how good your aim is and how much damage your weapon is doing for any given distance. The game runs very smoothly on my AMD64X2 4200 with GeForce 7600 (the one I got from Mike) - I get 60FPS out of it at 1440x900. The music is bright and fun - and it's interspersed with the "wah wah" trumpet sound when you lose a control point.

Battlefield Heroes is a good game for being free. Even if it never got more than the 2 maps from the beta, I'd still play it. I probably would never purchase real upgrades - but I don't see other people doing so as reducing my fun or ability to play. I recommend everyone giving it a try when it releases.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »

I received a beta key today, and I didn't even sign up until last week.  I'll give this a shot this weekend.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »

FYI - Battlefield Heroes is live. If you had played the BETA, I'd recommend uninstalling it, and then redownloading the new client.