Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 05:49:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Buying a Mac  (Read 10219 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Buying a Mac
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »

I have begun the shopping process. Should I go with a new 20" aluminum iMac? A refurb white 24"? Are there any peripherals or programs I need to buy right away? Any deals to be had (my wife gets a work discount on new Apple stuff)?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Buying a Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »

Awesome!!

The refurb 20" al (2 GHz) is $1049 at the Apple Store.  That is a good price and RAM upgrades are cheap & easy (just the way I like 'em). 

I love Yojimbo.

NetNewsWire is a good RSS reader and free now. 

You'll use the hell out of Handbrake for putting vids on your iPod.

Paparazzi! captures webpages like a champ.

You will want a good external drive for Time Machine as well (LaCie FW drives are my preference).
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
Buying a Mac
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:37:20 PM »

hooray!

apps i recommend:

rss: apple mail is really good a dealing with rss. it's basic, but i don't really do much with it, so for me, it's perfect.

email: apple mail.

yojimbo is really great for capturing notes, snippets of codes, bwc lists for the 360, etc.

media: delicious library is awesome for managing all of your media.

business docs: i use iwork for all my projects (excel, ppt, and word). it works great for my limited use.

browser: safari and firefox for testing, even tho they're pretty much the same thing.

videos: handbrake is awesome. for getting some of those videos offa your hd cam, you'll need mpeg streamclip, which is a brilliant conversion tool. changes anything into anything. even those .MOD files from your cam's hard drive.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
Re: Buying a Mac
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

I much prefer using Safari for RSS, but if you want the mail sty;e app, NetNewsWire is much better than mail, and now it is free and so is the news gator functionality.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »

Does anyone use any distributed computing software on the Mac like folding@home? I would like a screensaver application that will come on between classes. The best one I've seen so far is SETI at home, but ideally I would like a math or health based program. So far there have been no complaints, but I wonder how the Pope would feel about me using one of his school's computer labs to look for aliens. It just doesn't feel right.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »

I'm not sure the church has a problem with aliens, but I stopes using these group idle computing applications because I decided the increased power draw was worse for the world than the good it was doing.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

If the Pope catches you, just tell him that you are helping the church to prove the NON-existence of aliens.   ;)
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:09:10 AM »

So far there have been no complaints, but I wonder how the Pope would feel about me using one of his school's computer labs to look for aliens. It just doesn't feel right.

You teach at a Catholic school?

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »

So far there have been no complaints, but I wonder how the Pope would feel about me using one of his school's computer labs to look for aliens. It just doesn't feel right.

I do.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:53 PM »

I do.

Wow. I assumed you taught at a public school.

Is it a wealthy school? I ask because I know private, parochial schools usually pinch pennies and you have posted about a trip or two and other things in association with your school. I attended Lutheran schools and so do my children. My sister was a teacher at a Lutheran school where she made 15K a year after she graduated for several years before making the switch to public for the money.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »

We are not a wealthy school. Our principal is very good at finding money, though. In the last two years we've received 9 new laptops (we only have 10 teachers so that's a lot to us), a scantron machine, a 24" iMac, 9 printers, all classrooms wired for Internet access, the Accelerated Reader program, the Gradelink program, two projectors, and an iPod. How much did the school spend on that? Nothing. The wiring and scantron machine were donated by parents, while the rest was provided to us through public school funding. Same with my trips to Monterey.

If you remember those days in high school when your counselor would urge you to apply for as many scholarships as you could because there was a ton of money out there no one was claiming, it's kind of like that. There is a set amount of money set aside for private schools each year, one just has to have the patience and the creativity to go through the paperwork and apply. Luckily my principal is totally dedicated to that task.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »

I'm selling our old iMac, if anyone's interested:  http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_fp.html

512 MB RAM, still has the speakers and even the Apple stickers!  Original box, too!

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 11:38:51 AM »

Any links to good, cheap RAM?
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network