Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:41:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Buying a Mac  (Read 10235 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Mac
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »

At last I have a replacement for my PowerMac G4 in the home office. I went with the 2.0 GHz Mac Mini. I seriously considered a used PowerMac G5, but decided against it for a few reasons. I don't use Final Cut Pro or iDVD nearly as much as I used to, I figured there was no way it would be quieter than the Mini (ambient noise level is very important to me), I wouldn't be able to use Windows if for some reason I needed to, and I found no convincing evidence that daily use would be faster than on the Mini. Another item that bothered me came in this review of the quad-core G5. Towards the end is a table comparing the amount of power the G5 and Mac Mini use. You'll notice that most of the G5 numbers are ten times that of the Mini, even in sleep mode. Since I don't plan on taxing the machine's specs on a daily basis, I couldn't justify that sort of energy consumption.

Finished out the order with some accessories from otherworldcomputing and eBay. Got a 250 GB internal HD, 3 GB of RAM, and the 500 GB version of the miniStack. Got all four items for under $1050 after taxes and shipping. I'm very proud of myself. ;D Now I just need it all to show up!

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

Will they be installing the RAM for you?

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »

No, I'll be doing the hard drive and RAM installs myself.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »

It's not bad at all, P.  I have upgraded RAM and HDs in two Mac Minis so far.  Just get a few spackling blades and you will be good to go.  Think thin blades, too.  There isn't much room between the cover and the base.
Keep a cup nearby for the tiny screws (twss).
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:49 PM »

Were those intel or PowerPC mac minis?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »

Both were PowerPC.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »

Yeah, I figured.  It got significantly harder to work on with the intel version.  I don't know what your level of technical skill is Peter, but you may want to consider having someone else do the install.  Not the Apple store - they will charge way too much, but maybe a techie friend or an apple authorized guy in the area.  See if you are comfortable with this

I did mine and it's mostly OK, but I have a loose ribbon that needs to be McGuyvered every time I close it now.  Then again I have really big hands. 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »

I had watched a couple of install videos before ordering, but that OWC is the highest video quality I've seen. I like this sort of thing, so I'm looking forward to the challenge.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »

Argh! My otherworldcomputing order has been canceled. They couldn't verify my credit cards's billing address, which is ridiculous because I bought a hard drive from them with the same info back in November. They didn't even call or write to let me know, I had to contact them and say what the heck, why hasn't my order shipped? I was so peeved I canceled the order. I'm going to see how I like the 1 GB of RAM before ordering more, and I'll fill up the 120 GB internal before getting a new one. I had just figured that if I was going through with installing RAM I may as well put in a bigger HD while I'm in there. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men...

The Mini should arrive today and the MiniStack tomorrow. I'm giddy!

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

I'm disappointed to find out that development of Netflix Freak has ceased. I don't buy a whole lot of shareware, but this was one app I really enjoyed and used enough to warrant a purchase. Now I have to sort my queue and find new releases the old fashioned way.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a low end aluminum Macbook at work.  I'm planning to run XP in bootcamp and use it for AutoCAD.  My Powerbook is going to have to last me another year because the funds just aren't there to get the new MBP too.
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »

Bought a new Mac mini so I could run two monitors in the home office. So far I'm very pleased.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 01:20:26 AM »

Wait, so are you running two computers or dual displays on one?

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »

Dual displays on one.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »

It's been a hell of a week at my school. One of our funding requests went through. I received 40 MacBooks, a cart that holds and charges 30, two Airport Extremes, a 15" MacBook Pro, 2 Elmos, and 2 projectors. Every Thursday for the last few weeks something new is getting delivered. I still have some PC's that were requested but have yet to arrive.

But back to the Macs. The cart is so bad-ass, and the MacBooks are perfectly decent machines. I'm worried they'll be stained beyond recognition after a few classes, they are so white and get dirty so quickly. I set them up with Parent Controls turned on, so they have very few apps to choose from. Most of their work will be done with our Google Apps for Education account, so I'm not going to have to worry about lost files unless kids share their passwords for some reason.

The Airport Extreme was easy to set up and get running. It says it can handle 50 users. I hope that proves to be true. And I hope our network can handle the new demands we'll have on it.

The MacBook Pro was just acquired today, so there's not much to say. My wife has an older one from her school so I have seen them in action. I do love the backlit keyboard. So far it seems to be running pretty warm on my legs compared to my Chrome laptop and to the MacBook I'd been using the last week.

Of course I've heard the rumors about new Pros coming next month. That makes me a little sad, but oh well. You take what you can get. I still have another big request for hardware in the works. Now I'm hoping the guy providing that stuff will drag his feet a bit so I can get one of the refreshed machines. Never thought I'd say something like that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3