Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:05:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Academy Awards Bitch Fest  (Read 16151 times)

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
Academy Awards Bitch Fest
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »

After last year's Oscar thread turned into such a bitch session, I figured this year I'd join the cynic-brigade and itemize my displeasure over what did and did not get nominated.

No best documentary nomination for THE KING OF KONG: A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS or HELVETICA? Is it impossible to make a non-depressing documentary and get nominated?

SURF'S UP was a better animated film than THE SIMPSONS and BEE MOVIE? I haven't seen it, but I doubt it.

SUNSHINE had one of the best scores of the year. It was certainly better than MICHAEL CLAYTON, RATATOUILLE, and 3:10 TO YUMA. Same goes for THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, but at least that got the editing nod it deserves.

I remember the buzz around Keri Russell and WAITRESS when it was released. Where did all the love go for actress, screenplay, and Andy Griffith's supporting work?

Not a thing for KNOCKED UP! Screenplay? Actress? Nothing? Whatever.

A big miss not nominating Angelina Jolie for A MIGHTY HEART. I don't get it. The Academy loves this type of performance. Why the snub?

This is a minor complaint, but Joseph-Gordon Levitt was terrific in THE LOOKOUT.

I'm not sure what I would have nominated them for, but how do 300 and ZODIAC strike out in every category?

JUNO was a fine movie, but best picture and best actress? Seriously? It felt like a very special episode of Dawson's Creek to me with all the teenagers and their big words. Did Ellen Page really do anything that outstanding? Seems like you could have pulled any teenager off the street and told them, "Hey, could you read this line, but do it sarcastically?" and gotten the same result. Switch this movie's release date with the WAITRESS release date and we'd be seeing Keri Russell on the red carpet in a couple of weeks.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Awards Bitch Fest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:57:18 AM »

Pieter, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. 

Juno was nominated because they wanted a feel good movie amongst the darker movies such as No Country, There Will be Blood, etc.  Of course the release date has something to do with it.  The majority of best picture nominations come out towards the end of the year. Hence, the ignoring of Zodiac.

300 definitely could have been up for sound and visuals, but then they would have had to ignore that crappy Pirates movie and lord knows, you can't do that.  :P

I think maybe they didn't nominate Jolie because it seems they are passing over anything to do with the middle east more or less this year with the nominations.

I haven't seen Surf's Up yet, but I doubt it's better than Bee Movie or Simpsons either.  Not that it matters when Brad Bird will win again.  :)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Looks like my Oscar boycott (19 years running!) is still justified.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

Surf's Up is not a very good movie at all. The Simpsons was better. I have yet to see Bee Movie.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »

I've got a new complaint. I watched American Gangster today. What is up with Ruby Dee's nomination? She was in maybe three scenes (and I saw the extended cut!) and her acting was nothing special. Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington acted their asses off in that film and were shut out. I'd sure be annoyed if I were them.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

Ruby Dee is getting the you're old and going to die soon nomination they love to give to older actors.   I took think American Gangster was robbed of more nominations but I've been told the extended edition makes it even more of a "complete movie".   

Since the Oscars are tomorrow, I'll be posting my predictions later tonight.    :)

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »

Here are my predictions for tomorrow night.  Some are what I think will win and some are what I want to win.  I think this may be one of the only years where I've seen all five best picture nominees.   I've skipped the documentary and short film categories as I know nothing about most of them.  I'll also save my commentary who else could win and what I think of some of the nominations.   :)  Any who, on the show:

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men
Best Director: Coen Bros.
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress: Julie Christie
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Animated: Ratatouille
Art Direction: Sweeney Todd
Cinematography: No Country for Old Men
Costume Design: Sweeney Todd
Editing: Bourne Ultimatum
Makeup: La Vie En Rose (if Norbit wins Im never watching the Oscars again)
Score: Atonement
Original Song: Something from Enchanted
Sound Editing: No Country for Old Men/There Will Be Blood
Sound Mixing: Same
Visual Effects: Transformers
Screenplay Adapted: No Country for Old Men
Screenplay Original: Juno

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:17:38 PM »

If I was a one-man AMPAS then here would be your winners. I have not seen No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood, but I have seen most of the other official nominees.

Picture: Eastern Promises
Director: Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Ultimatum)
Actor: Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises)
Actress: Keri Russell (Waitress)
Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton)
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Garner (Juno)
Animated: Ratatouille
Art Direction: The Darjeeling Limited
Cinematography: Zodiac
Costume Design: American Gangster
Editing: The Bourne Ultimatum
Makeup: Atonement
Score: Sunshine
Original Song: Falling Slowly (Once)
Sound Editing & Mixing: Transformers
Visual Effects: Transformers
Adapted Screenplay: A Mighty Heart
Original Screenplay: Waitress
Documentary: No End in Sight
Foreign Language: Paris, Je T'aime

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

Another dose of bitching coming at you! Just watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. How the Academy can claim Ruby Dee and Casey Affleck are supporting actors is beyond me. One has zero screen time, the other has hours of it.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »

I really can't comment too much on American Gangster having not seen it, but Dame Judi Dench won on something like 19 minutes of screen time (Shakespeare in Love) and William Hurt was nominated for the whole scene he was in (History of Violence).  Billy Bob Thornton was nominated for being in the whole goddamn movie as well (A Simple Plan). 

Just saying there's precedence.  I'm not sure how they come up with the line either.  It's milky.

What I'm guessing happened (just pulling this out of my ass), is that 2007 turned out so much awesome that the vote got split pretty raw.  I'm wondering, do they ever release the votes on what got nominated (probably not)?

I was pretty sure that There Will Be Blood and No Coutnry for Old Men was going to split the vote so severely that Juno was going to take Best Picture.  I'm serious.

deceptikonXXX

• Evil Prevails
    • View Profile
    • Dylan's Xbox360 Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »

I can't argue with most of the awards since I haven't seen most of the winners, but I am disappointed that Golden Compass stole the Best Visual Effects award from Transformers.  Can't argue  too much with the Bourne Ultimatum awards, but Best Sound?!?!

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »

Did any boobs pop out?  That's the most important thing.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »

Can't argue  too much with the Bourne Ultimatum awards, but Best Sound?!?!

What makes this worse is that poor Kevin O'Connell got snubbed again.  Just give it to him already.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »

Jon Stewart was awesome last night.  Also Wii Tennis.

Also, bringing the Once co-songwriter back out for her speech because she got cut off. 

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »

My interest in the Academy Awards has been waning considerably over the past few years. This year was no exception. I watched maybe an hour of it last night before falling asleep.

I did manage to see Transformers lose to Golden Compass, however. WTF?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6