Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:38:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Academy Awards Bitch Fest  (Read 16164 times)

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
Re: Academy Awards Bitch Fest
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »

Let's give everyone an award!  Then we can all go out for ice cream afterward like it's fucking Little League.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

2008 nominees:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

2008 nominees if 10 were selected:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Gran Torino
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
Vicky Christina Barcelona
Wall-E
The Wrestler

10 doesn't even leave room for Doubt or Changeling. I still don't think expanding the list of nominees is a good idea, but working on a list of my own does give me hope that there are at least 10 decent choices out there. The Golden Globes essentially picks 10 nominees because they have two best picture categories. But what do they do? They throw Mamma Mia! in there for some reason.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »

It will just split the vote so much that more undeserving films will win.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:47 AM »

Huh.  I usually make it a point to see all the nominated movies before the show with friends.  I don't think this will dilute the vote, really, but it will make the political campaigning that much more determinative. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 07:43:26 PM »

Huh.  I usually make it a point to see all the nominated movies before the show with friends. 

I wish the Academy saw them all.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »

It's like the author of this article reads tehbias and stole my comments.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »

Huh.  I usually make it a point to see all the nominated movies before the show with friends. 

I wish the Academy saw them all.

That's OK.  i'm, watching copies of their screeners anyway. 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »

I'm in my annual prep mode for watching Oscar nominees.

This weekend I tried to watch Coraline on Blu-Ray. The film is gorgeous, but so dull! I think I made it about 30 minutes in last night before deciding I'd rather play MW2.

Today we watched The Cove on DVD. It's fantastic. Two films kept coming to mind while watching: Food, Inc. and Man on Wire. Food, Inc. because of its dire predictions about food supply, food quality, animal treatment, and consumer ignorance. Man on Wire because it's basically a heist film. The crew wants to infiltrate a cove in Japan where dolphins are slaughtered daily. The cove is highly guarded and the consequences are high (apparently in Japan you can be held in prison for 28 days without being charged). Like Man on Wire the story has a feel of fiction as it moves so quickly and does a stirring job of setting up all the players for a big payoff at the end. There are other elements to the production that really shine, but I'll just keep it to one more bit of praise: the score is terrific. I'm tempted to look for a soundtrack CD. Not common for a documentary.

Food, Inc. is the other nominated documentary I've seen so far, and my vote goes to The Cove.

Okay, one more thing. The weakest part of The Cove is that I'm such a meat eater. It's hard for me to judge someone for eating dolphin or whale if I eat pigs, cows, chickens, turkeys, and fish every day (not at once). The main argument is that dolphins are self-aware and highly intelligent. I get that. And I don't have much of a response. The other argument is that dolphins are full of mercury and are therefore dangerous to eat. But so are cows, chickens, and tuna. E-coli, salmonella, and mercury are a possibility with those animals as well. Telling someone you shouldn't kill an animal because it might be bad for you if you eat it is a weak argument.

So maybe it's weakest argument is also a positive if it gets someone like me to think maybe I don't need meat every day. If the film gets me to slow down and not just eat whatever sounds good and think about what's going into my meal, then it's done some good.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:32 PM »

Take solace in two things:

Documentaries are extremely biased.

Meat tastes good.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »

So maybe it's weakest argument is also a positive if it gets someone like me to think maybe I don't need meat every day. If the film gets me to slow down and not just eat whatever sounds good and think about what's going into my meal, then it's done some good.

Hey, that's awesome. (and I'm not joking - I know I do a lot). I applaud that you're giving your decision to eat (or not eat, or eat less) meat a bit of reflection. Even if you decide to not change your habits, at least you're thinking about the reasons you do eat meat.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »

Suzannah and I went vegetarian 14 years ago and haven't looked back once.  Liam is a devout vegetarian as well.  Eran and Xander are when at home.  We did it because we love animals and know that we can thrive without eating them.

We never try to foist our feelings on anyone, but always love to hear that others are going veg.

"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »

Suzannah and I went vegetarian 14 years ago and haven't looked back once.  Liam is a devout vegetarian as well.  Eran and Xander are when at home.  We did it because we love animals and know that we can thrive without eating them.

We never try to foist our feelings on anyone, but always love to hear that others are going veg.

Albert Schweitzer

So what you're saying is that you hate plants.   :P
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »

Lettuce soy that we have plum to grapes with wheating plants.
Albert Schweitzer

Xx Jester 76 xX

• aka: Amazin Grace76 aka: Xx Jester 76 xX aka....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »

Lettuce soy that we have plum to grapes with wheating plants.

Ha!  I see what ya did there....

I tried going vegetarian for the same reasons you've mentioned, but I only made it a week.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 01:12:37 PM »

Wendy and I are somewhere between meat-eaters and vegetarian. I think I'd call it "meat conservationists". We gave up buying meat and animal byproducts about a year ago. (Although we do still eat fish)

So, our normal daily diet is vegetarian (- dairy,  + fish), but we still eat meat & dairy if we are guests at someone's house or if people leave food at our house from a gathering.

We're big fans of soy.  :)

I love how this discussion is in the Academy Awards thread.  :P
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6