Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• August 17, 2017, 03:13:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazon Referrals  (Read 16104 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Amazon Referrals
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »

To help generate some site revenue to help cover expenses, I've set up an Amazon referral code for the site so that we can generate some cash.

I've included referral codes in some recent Amazon links, and may edit a few posts by others to include the codes.

The site is not run for-profit and there are no current plans to try to make it for-profit.  This is a small community site and we like it that way.  However, if we could cover some of the expenses, that would be a good thing.

I'll be adding a deal-of-the-day banner or widget at some point in the near future.

We are not going to clutter up the site by making any postings about products that we would not be otherwise linking and discussing.  This is not a shill site.

Please post any feedback or concerns here.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Referrals
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »

Mike--I've worked with Amazon for quite a few years, after CDNow dropped their affiliate program.  Got a few thoughts, etc., that might help.  E-mail?  PM?  Phone?  Or here in the thread?  If I'm feling lazy the phone may be better, but any way you prefer is fine.  Plus, I don't know if anyone else here would want to be bored by my ramblings.  :D

-= Rudy =-

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »

Rudy,

I'll PM you and we'll talk on the phone sometime in the next few days.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »

Get a room, you two.

(chat room)
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »

Rudy,

I'll PM you and we'll talk on the phone sometime in the next few days.

Hey Mike--sounds good! 

Bryan--we're not picking out the furniture.  Yet.  :D

-= Rudy =-

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Hey Mike, another idea for you:

http://www.cafepress.com

Their wares aren't quite as good as silk screening, but the couple of things I ordered were of decent quality.  No complaints here!  With your TB logo and other graphics from the site, I think they'd make some sharp looking wearables on black.

I have no problem using an Amazon affiliate link through this site--I have quite a few sites that use my own Amazon associate links, but I can't order anything through them myself (I get no credit for my own purchases).  So I might as well put my bucks to good use here.  ;)

I'll be around this weekend...just don't mind the kids beating each other to a pulp in the background.  :D
-= Rudy =-

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

It's still not as good as a custom run, but Zazzle seems to be much better quality then Cafepress. 

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

It's still not as good as a custom run, but Zazzle seems to be much better quality then Cafepress. 

Thanks for the tip!  I've been with Cafepress for several years, but I only had a handful of orders go through it since I'm using a somewhat unauthorized version of a record label logo and/or promotional photos that might not fall within their terms of service.  ;)  As such, I didn't really look for any other alternatives.  Might be worth checking out Zazzle.
-= Rudy =-

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »

Will the Deal of the Day be of the video game variety?

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:52:48 PM »

Just curious how this works:

Does the referral only work for things that are purchased through links on here or do you have a referral code that's entered when purchasing anything on Amazon?

Also, will it work with Amazon.ca?

I'm not buying anything on Amazon right now but come Christmas time or earlier, I might be.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »

Just curious how this works:

Does the referral only work for things that are purchased through links on here or do you have a referral code that's entered when purchasing anything on Amazon?

Sorry I missed this...

When you click on an affiliate link, it sets a cookie on your machine for, I think, 24 hours or so.  If you make any purchase within that time period, Mike should get credit for it.  If you're not sure, revisit his link and then make your purchases.   Any link here would have Mike's affiliate code in it, and that would trigger the credit to his associate account.
-= Rudy =-

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »

I just used the portal to buy something.  Does that mean we can add another banner to the rotation now?
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »

I realized I had a few DVD pre-orders with Amazon, so I canceled them and re-ordered through the link.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

This weekend's Amazon MP3 deal is a good one: they've got greatest hits collections by Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Roy Orbison, and (well, they can't all be great) Hall & Oates for $5 each.

And, as Mike is fond of pointing out, Amazon's songs are superior to their iTunes counterparts in every way!

FURIOU5 D

• Still gets grass-stains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »

I just ordered about $150 worth of books through our portal.

Thank Mark for reminding me about it before I placed my order.  :)
Pages: [1] 2