Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• January 17, 2019, 10:08:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii discussion  (Read 110945 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Revolution discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 09:57:42 AM »

They certainly aren't setting expectations very high.   I'd expect a nextgen console to average about 8x to 10x the power of the previous generation (and for the manufacturer to lie and say they are stronger).

Maybe Nintendo really is going after a different market.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 11:47:47 AM »

1up.com article

Though technical specifications on the Revolution hardware are not yet available, Nintendo says their new console is only two or three times as powerful as the GameCube. "It's not all about having 'turbo power,' " Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. "It's about what you do with it."

Revolution will feature an online matchmaking service ala Xbox Live with downloadable content in the form of a library of archived games. From old school games like Donkey Kong to modern GameCube releases like Super Mario Sunshine, Nintendo says they'll all be available for download on Revolution, though a price, if there will be one, has yet to be determined.

Ease of development is what Nintendo claims separates their next-generation hardware from the competition. "They do not need to make major changes from the games they were designing," said analyst Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group. "They have better performance without having to do a lot of extra work."

That is great you'll be able to download entire games! It sounds like they'll still be red-headed stepchild in terms of 3rd party games. Multi-platform games will probably look "worst" on the Revolution. But they'll probably have a bigger library. It's not going to cost $20 million to make a game for the Revolution.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »

Early word is that it will not support HD resolutions.  Bad news for us.  Inconsequential news for 85% of the rest.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 12:38:22 PM »

It actually sounds kind of interesting.    I could see myself picking this up, especially since they'll probably have very reasonably priced hardware.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 01:58:39 PM »

First thought about Revolution after watching this conference:  Unimpressive

It felt too much like they had the need to show something this year to combat Sony and MS.  When they did show something, it was not finished, a prototype, and my guess had nothing inside of it.  then they proceed to tell us Mario and Metroid will be on it.  Thats wonderful f'n news indeed.  If that even counts as "news".  No controller, absolutely nothing that screams "revolution" to me.

The rest of the press conferences was equally uninteresting.  Gameboy Micro?  No thanks.  An entire list of (looked like 4-5) games that we already know about coming out for Gamecube?  Thanks for nothing.

Oh, I'm sure I'll buy a Revolution.  I love my GC, but damn.  Worst Nintendo showing in years IMO.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »

It definitely raised more questions than it answered.  I like the online ideas and the downloadable back catalog, but I really want to know:

What's the controller going to be like?
How/where do you store the downloaded games?  HDD???
What about the portable gamecube???

J.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2005, 10:13:46 PM »

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2005, 10:59:16 PM »

Lots of conspiracy theories about the Revolution going around. Try this one:

http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2574674

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2005, 09:11:26 AM »

I find it hard to believe that you will need to leave that flap on top open to use a memory card.  Seems like a poor design choice to me.  Why not leave the door off and use a small flap inside the cutout to keep debris out?

Did anyone else catch this phrasing?

Contrary to much speculation, I can announce today that Revolution will be backward compatible. The best of the Nintendo GameCube library will still be enjoyed by players years from now," Iwata revealed.

From an IGN interview.
That is basically what MS is saying - the best of the Xbox library will still be enjoyed on the 360.  That leaves the door open for some re-compiling on Nintendo's part. 

Just a thought...
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »

Nintendo's downloadable games will be free!

NOA vice president George Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free.

This is a clever move by Nintendo: regardless of the final power of Revolution and the frequency of new titles, Nintendo knows that its loyal fans will cry tears of joy over a free service that lets them download previous Nintendo classics straight out of the box.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 11:28:29 AM »

Wow.  I don't see how that can be topped.  There is no way I'll miss out on a greatest hits jukebox like that.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2005, 11:45:18 AM »

Wow, charge me 19.99 and 29.99 for the "Classics" on GBA, and now I get them for free?  Somehow I doubt ALL of the flagship Nintendo titles will be for free.

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2005, 12:52:03 PM »

Also:  If you read the original Gamespot article ( http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/26/news_6126595.html ), he NEVER says "Nintendos past-gen downloadable games will be free".

First he mentions how they have not decided whether to make their games available for a fee or not.

Then he mentions there won't be a fee to play games online for their own games (Revolution games), but it will be up to third parties if they want to.

While he does mention SOME first party games MAY be free, he brings it up in passing, and does NOT say this is for past-gen games.

Apparently people are mixing up the two statements together.  I believe a lot of these news sites are mixing up what was actually said.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »

Downloads not so free after all, and other news

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »

The source is spong, so it's probably wrong.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has gone on record to outline more precisely the company’s plans. “The concept of games being free is a baseless rumour,” he said. “The system is not finalised as yet, though it’s more likely that players will be able to download back-catalogue games when they buy new ones. Perhaps we’ll run campaigns around some old games for a limited time. There will be a variety of ways to access the back catalogue, but we must ensure that Nintendo sees profit from this in the end.”

This echoes the thoughts of Nintendo Elvis Shigeru Miyamoto who, speaking exclusively to SPOnG about this very issue said, “As far as titles are concerned, we’ll have to choose what to make available. But I should underline that we can offer whatever we want to from the back-catalogue. It's simply a matter of selecting them and picking them out! As far as a fee is concerned, that hasn’t been announced or decided yet. Though if there is a fee, I can tell you that it will be minimal.”

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55