Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 19, 2019, 01:30:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii discussion  (Read 114183 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii discussion
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »

I found it very easy to do the hacking.  I used this site:

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

However this was when the OS was at an earlier version.  If your OS is up to date it may be harder or impossible, I haven't kept up.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 05, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »

I found it very easy to do the hacking.  I used this site:

http://gwht.wikidot.com/

However this was when the OS was at an earlier version.  If your OS is up to date it may be harder or impossible, I haven't kept up.

There are a couple of extra steps for 4.3 over 4.2 and earlier. 
-= Rudy =-

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 08, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »

Well, I tried TVersity rather than Orb, and video quality is still poor.  Even if the compression artifacts are few, the video still has too low of a frame rate to it.  The only way you can play it on a stock Wii is through the Opera browser with Flash.

I am thinking that if I go the Homebrew route, I can use one of the existing players that maybe supports AVI format without having to be transcoded through Flash video.
-= Rudy =-

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 05, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »

Anyone tried Dolphin yet?

It's really impressive.  On my new laptop I was getting near perfect emulation of Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Not every game is 100% perfect, in fact most aren't even close, but damn - the ones that do work look great running at 720p.

Even Gamecube games and WiiWare games look fantastic running through Dolphin.

I've followed many an emulator over the course of my life, and this one is the most impressive I've seen. Especially since it's a current console.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #814 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »

Does it play directly from the original disc?

I'm interested if it can play from disc. I could totally see running a game at 720p via PC through the TV.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

RuFfNeCk

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »

Does it play directly from the original disc?

I'm interested if it can play from disc. I could totally see running a game at 720p via PC through the TV.
I don't think it can - but I've only tried running it via .iso. I'll check when I get home.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »

I certainly hope Nintendo keeps backward-compatibility in their next system, which I imagine will finally be high-def (is there any reason it would only be 720p or 1080i as opposed to 1080p?). Each new generation I end up playing the older games and thinking how good they look (though I wish they looked that good a few years back!). Art style trumps resolution.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #817 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

(is there any reason it would only be 720p or 1080i as opposed to 1080p?).

Same reason as before. Cost savings and kids don't care. But like you, I'm totally hoping Nintendo's next machine is HD capable. (fingers crossed)

Art style trumps resolution.

Agreed - Its the reason my Wii is on a 27" SD CRT and not on my 42" HD LCD. Wii looks like ass on non-CRT HD devices.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »

Does anyone who picked up a set of component cables for the Wii find they make a big enough difference to be worthwhile?  There's lots of sales on them right now.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »

Does anyone who picked up a set of component cables for the Wii find they make a big enough difference to be worthwhile?  There's lots of sales on them right now.

I dunno about Canada, but we can get them DIRT cheap from monoprice.com.

I do see a big difference, especiallly on an HDTV.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »

The component cables are a must-buy. (Wait, you bought another Wii?) While I disagree that the Wii "looks like ass" on a non-CRT, it certainly looks a lot worse over composite. Then again, 90% of my Wii library is Nintendo-published, and those ramp pretty nicely up the resolution scale.

I even tracked down the component cables for the Dreamcast. Many of those games still look really good. In memory, anyway. I wanted to hook my DC up to the plasma, but I can't find my cables (I didn't store them with the console, which is a bad habit).
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »

Cool.  I'll pick some up then. Thanks guys.

I've seen some for $10 up here.  My one consideration is that I can hook it into my receiver and TV.  Some of the ones I've seen don't split that far.  I've definitely noticed the Wii doesn't look as good on the LCD as my old CRT.

Allen, Karli bought the Wii not mii.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #822 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »

The component cables are a must-buy. (Wait, you bought another Wii?) While I disagree that the Wii "looks like ass" on a non-CRT, it certainly looks a lot worse over composite. Then again, 90% of my Wii library is Nintendo-published, and those ramp pretty nicely up the resolution scale.

I'll grant that "ass" is too harsh a comparison.  ;) And yes, if you are going to run one on an LCD, there's an appreciable difference between composite and component. But even with component cables, 480p on a 42" or larger LCD isn't exactly pretty. Maybe I'm too picky, but it just always looked slightly blurry.

But definitely get the component cables.

I'll amend my ratings.

480i on LCD = ass
480p on LCD = serviceable. YMMV.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 20, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »

I certainly hope Nintendo keeps backward-compatibility in their next system, which I imagine will finally be high-def (is there any reason it would only be 720p or 1080i as opposed to 1080p?).

Well it looks like backward compatibility is now a thing of the past with the *current* Wii as well.  Just saw this on Nintendo's site:

This version of the Wii hardware is not compatible with Nintendo GameCube game discs or accessories.

So this is the first time I see them degrade the hardware when they drop the price?  Glad I got mine when I did.  I have no idea if they still manufacture a Wii that works with GameCube---I did not dig on their site enough to find out.  (There may be some available in the sales channel still.)

I did wind up softmodding the Wii, so I have all of my games on a hard drive, and also have a lot of NES and SNES ROMs installed and running.  Also downloaded that ISO for Mario Kart Dark or whatever it's called...what a riot!  :D  It doesn't work with online play, so I still need to use the original Mario Kart for that.

I've been playing the new Zelda "Skyward Sword" this week...very nicely done.  I have a lot of intense hours ahead.
-= Rudy =-
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]