Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• April 21, 2019, 04:33:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: the not great, but better than nothing thread  (Read 11484 times)

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
the not great, but better than nothing thread
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

today i lost my job. they restructured my dept and i was the 2nd person they let go. it is awesome. well, it's not great, but for my mental health, it's awesome. i was being drained big time. i dont' think there was a night i came home and didn't either bitch or depressed about work.

so, hi! join the thread with your bad news! maybe we can help each other through some tough patches or offer words of encouragement to each other.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: the not great, but better than nothing thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »

Mat, that really sucks. ::)  I'm sure you'll have something else in no time.

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »

Sorry to hear about that, Mat! It does sound like it will be better for you though, especially since it sounds like you weren't particularly happy there. Best of luck with the job search! Like Jeremy said, I'm sure you'll find something else in no time at all :).

FURIOU5 D

• Still gets grass-stains.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

Good luck Mat.  You're plenty talented enough to find someplace else where you'll probably be much happier.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »

Mat, hang in there.  With your talent you should be able to pick something up relatively quickly.

If you get a chance...network.  I've been trying to get friends, colleagues and other acquaintances to join LinkedIn and/or accept my invites, so I can tap into a bigger network. 

I've hit the career skids myself.  Last two ventures I tried have bombed out big time.  The insurance gig went nowhere due to the poor branch manager, and we found out a few weeks ago he was walked out of the office.  (We think his hand was in the "cookie jar".  Someone else told us he did many things that went against his contract.)   Also tried selling credit card processing equipment but the leads were weak.  (Those easy-in, easy-out opportunities never usually pan out except for a select few.)

Not sure what to do now...I may end up stocking shelves at Target.
-= Rudy =-

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

Sorry to hear about that Mat.  Hope you find something else quickly.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »

man, i think my manager was the reason i got let go too. we think he has blown the depts budget already and had to let me and another guy go. there are secret rumours that the place he used to work is in financial ruin too. so, in a way i'm glad to be outta there.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »

That sucks, Mat. Good luck to you (and Rudy, too).

I've never been let go from a job that I wasn't happy to be gone from.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »

@aa: same here. it's time to decide what is next.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »

I think I know how you feel, Mat. I got let go from a job I was at for 10 years, and I was making real good money there, but I wasn't happy. I'm now making half what I did then, but I enjoy my job so much more, and I'm not stressed out like I was.

I sure you'll find something that you enjoy soon!
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »

ya, def. i'm thinking of taking some time on e.i., taking advantage of some free schooling via it for small business, and doing my own thing. that's the perfect-world scenario. i've had a few ideas brewing in the back of my mind for a long time so maybe now's the time i get down to it.

or maybe i go back and work someplace else.

who knows? at least now, i'm much happier.

@geese: thanks for the tip. you're 100% right. sometimes taking a pay cut gives you a feel-good raise.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but....how DOES one get hired in today's job market?

I tried a couple of ventures that didn't pan out.  At least I didn't lose much money on either of them, but still, our economy is so bad here (especially on this side of town) that it's hard even to get jobs at the common "big box" stores.  A recruiter I met with told me that if Michigan's unemployment rate is near 6-7%, and white collar unemployment is only around 1-2%, then blue collar is really taking a hit at perhaps 9-10%.  I do know that on the other side of town where I lived previously, the economy still wasn't great, but it was better than it is here (as the east side of the Detroit suburbs are predominantly blue collar). 

I'm at wit's end.  I've networked with a lot of people, been on interviews, but nothing is happening.  Debbie's even looking to work as a waitress just so we can make the rent.  She's attempting to work at Aflac, but still hasn't made a sale yet.  (Commissions are nice...if/when you get them.) 

-= Rudy =-

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:03:56 PM »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but....how DOES one get hired in today's job market?

I guess that depends on your education and skills. Do you have a college degree? If not, you may need to think of getting one; if you do, you may need an advanced degree or different training

Michigan sucks: One of the worst economies in the country. You may need to relocate. The job market in MI will likely get worse before it gets better, I think I read that your unemployment rate is close to 8.5% now.

Improve your skills and/or location. That is the best advice I can offer.

Move to Texas if you can. The economy and cost of living there is awesome.

Stay away from any "job" that requires you to pay out of pocket and invest your own money.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »

you could always try to work in canada and commute to windsor or something. not sure how close/far you are from the border...
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »

Put me in the 'relocate' camp.  I know you have a divorce/custody situation but it's hard to be a good dad if you are in financial crisis.  If you can move somewhere that you can do well enough to fly back to visit a few times a year and still come out ahead is a potentially better life for you and the kids and isn't something that needs to be viewed as permanent.  Hopefully in a few years the whole economy is better and you have more location choices.

Then again, every situation is different and I can't tell somebody what to do if I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4