Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• June 24, 2019, 02:00:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: the not great, but better than nothing thread  (Read 11600 times)

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
Re: the not great, but better than nothing thread
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »

Then again, every situation is different and I can't tell somebody what to do if I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

Nonetheless, I appreciate it, Mike.  :)

I've had a few recruiters looking out for me, but no luck so far.  I have noticed one thing though: for jobs anywhere in the Detroit area, the majority are in the western suburbs.  And we're in the eastern suburbs...at least temporarily.  If we don't get totally sick of this house and/or neighborhood, we'll be moving back to the other side of town next May after my better half is done with her degree at Macomb.  At any rate, I'm pretty much committed to having to drive to the western 'burbs if I find something out that way.  Unless it's in Ann Arbor, which could be anywhere from a 60 to 70 mile commute each way.  That's at least two tankfuls of gas per week (which is like $110-$120 now).  In that case, we'd consider moving out that way sooner. 

We're not totally ruling out relocating to another state, but heck, we can't even afford to move across town at this point. 

-= Rudy =-

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »

Not a good day for tires in my household today.

I got to where I was going in the Prius, heard an unusual hiss, and found a big metal... thing... in my tire. The good news was I got it patched up for free.

Now my wife just called and said that the spare was stolen off the tailgate of our FJ Cruiser. What the hell, people? Gimme back my tire!

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:19:27 PM »

Not a good day for tires in my household today.

I got to where I was going in the Prius, heard an unusual hiss, and found a big metal... thing... in my tire. The good news was I got it patched up for free.

Now my wife just called and said that the spare was stolen off the tailgate of our FJ Cruiser. What the hell, people? Gimme back my tire!

Huh. I was walking out my door and noticed my car was kind of sloped and, yep...flat tire.

My spare was already shot: I had a flat a few months ago and I have a big copper colored staple in the sidewall of my donut spare...

I decide to drive to the gas station a block away and air the thing up. It hits pressure fine, but I hear hissing and sure enough, the valve stem is cracked.

I drive back home, pull the tire off, steal my wife's spare, and HER spare is flat...Damn!

I figure I have it on anyway and drive BACK to the station and fill it. All is good. I still decide not to drive the 18 mile, all highway commute to work. The whole family jumps in my wife's car. We drive my son to school, stop by Sears...5 minute fix  (second tire in as many months covered under the road hazard agreement). I throw the tire in the wife's trunk.

I get to work two hours late.

Not a good tire day here, either :)

I think the only thing worse than going outside to find your tire flat is going outside and finding your car stolen...car wise, that is.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »

The tires are rebelling!

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:05 AM »

I really should replace the spare on the back of my CR-V...it's a full-size tire, but is the one that came with the vehicle when I bought it new 11 years ago.  If it ever met highway speeds, it would blow out (like the old Dunlop I had on my Civic, which disintegrated on I-94 at about 80 MPH).  

I'll supposedly have a company car at the new gig, but I am still not sure if I should hold onto my CR-V or not.  193,000+ miles and it's still mechanically sound (it's never been back to the dealer or a repair shop), but needs some overdue maintenance.   It's paid for though, and cheap to own.  
-= Rudy =-

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:33 AM »

I was at a seminar in Atlanta a few months back and when I was trying to leave the hotel to go back to Charlotte, I saw a flat on my right rear tire.  Damn.  I have something like AAA and called them to throw on the spare (why not, since that's what I'm paying them for) and I drove to a local NTB.  Turns out my other rear tire was about to go as well, Damn.

One hour and $600 later, I finally get back on the road to Charlotte. 

I hate buying tires.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:25 AM »

I have something like AAA and called them to throw on the spare (why not, since that's what I'm paying them for)

:revoked:
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 01:37:54 AM »

Our above-ground heat pump crapped the bed.  Turned out they couldn't repair it (not surprised, it was 20.5 years old, and runs in both winter and summer).  First quote, from the highest-rated local consumer HVAC contractor on Angie's List, is north of $5000 for a new heat pump and indoor blower unit with the electric coil for when it's too cold out.  It's 88 degrees on the ground floor right now.

Ouch.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »

Not covered by home insurance? Our repairman said it had been "struck by lightning," so it was covered.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 02:49:09 AM »

Not covered by home insurance? Our repairman said it had been "struck by lightning," so it was covered.

Well, we do have home insurance, but I don't think there's much chance I'm going to find any repairman like yours.  Not to mention that we haven't had a thunderstorm in a week.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »

Air conditioning: now functional!

Main board of four year old furnace: now malfunctioning!

For fuck's sake...

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »

I'll be lucky to have central air inside of the next five days.  Could have had it today, but I need to get several bids to feel comfortable enough to spend so much $$$$$.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:59 AM »

hey, had my interview last friday at the local university. went pretty well i think.
freelance is kicking my ass right now. this client in nyc is brutal. but good money, so...
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Failsafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »

I have something like AAA and called them to throw on the spare (why not, since that's what I'm paying them for)

I also had a flat tire today.  I called CAA to come put the spare on.  No WAY am I getting my hands dirty!

Bellatrix

• View Profile
    • Maremy's Blog Has Moved! Check it out...
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »

I also had a flat tire today.  I called CAA to come put the spare on.  No WAY am I getting my hands dirty!

Why am I marrying you if you can't even change a damn tire? ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4