Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 04:11:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Service  (Read 9965 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Netflix Streaming Service
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »

I got an TV this week, but boxee is dragging their feet on giving me a membership…

Out of curiosity, why would the TV with Netflix get your attention, but not the 360 that you already own?

Try this

The AppleTV appeals to me more because I would never consider turning my 360 on unless I was playing a game.  I have no desire to make that POS design work any harder than it has to.  The AppleTV seems to be alot more reliable and quiet.  The Apple TV would go in our living room, while the 360 is in my FROG home theater. 
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »

HTPC is where it's at for watching TV over the net.  Free Hulu, free abc.com, cbs.com, etc. in addition to Netflix, Amazon unbox, etc. not to mention playing every other format in existence.  $229 for Apple TV is cheap but when you look at how limited it is, you are simply getting what you pay for.

On the other end of the scale, if you just want Netflix in your home theater, a Roku is a whopping $99.

I'm sure the Apple faithful will disagree for some reason or other.   :D

But seriously, Hulu is so awesome, I'd think hard before locking myself out.  Also as far as unsupported third-party stuff goes, don't be surprised if Apple rolls out a firmware update to block it.  They want you paying for movies on Apple TV.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

Apple has had forever to block the TV hacks and all but admitted they wont.  They said the really just don't care.  (And it's not like it's an iPhone; I can run arbitrary code on it.  If they really get annoying it will just run OS X or some hacked up version of the Take 2 OS.)

I think you think it's more limited than it is.  I spent a lot of time deciding between repurposing a mini into an HTPC and using an TV, and there's something to be said for virtually silent operation, tiny size, and better tv/remote-controls.  But I'm absolutely someone who would rather do complex stuff on my main computer and access it over the network with a remote, than have a mouse and keyboard hooked up to my TV.  I have friends who control their TVs with keyboards and…well, it's not acceptable to me. 

Still, though I can only say it was right for me.  I already have a TiVo that can take care of amazon unbox (And I'd rather use iTunes than amazon unbox anyway - man the quality sucks.) and soon Netflix.  Plus the 360 Netflix, plus the TV will likely do it soonish.  I also don't really like the streaming quality from the free sites enough to use them for tv watching (Hulu's not bad for SD, but the TV does Hulu) so I'm not that bothered that Boxee is still working on ABC and FOX, etc. 

EDIT: oh, and I found another thing that bugs me - I don't see a way to subscribe or auto-download podcasts using only the device.  I leave my main iTunes computer on anyway, but still goofy. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »

Robert,

Limited is probably in the eye of the beholder.  Some people are much more power users of technology than most the typical Apple consumer is, to be fair.  I've no beef with Apple's products, I switched over to iPod for ~3 years during a time when they had what I'd consider the best MP3 player on the market overall.

A recent HTPC = plays every open format in existence up to high-bitrate 1080p h.264 and beyond, plays every free stream in existence.  Powerful enough and open enough to play any new format and any new free stream likely to come out in the next several years.

Apple TV = plays some open formats and some free streams.  If you hack.  And if the bitrate isn't too high.

To some of us, that's pretty limited.  To some of you, probably not.

As far as noise goes, my HTPC is quieter than my:  Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and even my cable box / DVR.  Basically it's the quietest thing I own that has a fan.  It's quieter than my Toshiba HD-DVD player!

If your friends are using a keyboard and mouse to play media, they aren't using the right software.  I can control all that with my Harmony remote and a variety of free front ends.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 04:03:56 PM »

Sometimes l like to take in one of those talkies at the motion picture theatre.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »

I downloaded MediaLink from Nullriver and stream content from my iMac to my PS3. Their Connect360 program will do the same for the Xbox.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »

Robert,

Limited is probably in the eye of the beholder.  Some people are much more power users of technology than most the typical Apple consumer is, to be fair.  I've no beef with Apple's products, I switched over to iPod for ~3 years during a time when they had what I'd consider the best MP3 player on the market overall.

A recent HTPC = plays every open format in existence up to high-bitrate 1080p h.264 and beyond, plays every free stream in existence.  Powerful enough and open enough to play any new format and any new free stream likely to come out in the next several years.

Apple TV = plays some open formats and some free streams.  If you hack.  And if the bitrate isn't too high.

To some of us, that's pretty limited.  To some of you, probably not.

As far as noise goes, my HTPC is quieter than my:  Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and even my cable box / DVR.  Basically it's the quietest thing I own that has a fan.  It's quieter than my Toshiba HD-DVD player!

If your friends are using a keyboard and mouse to play media, they aren't using the right software.  I can control all that with my Harmony remote and a variety of free front ends.

If there is a "Typical Apple consumer" I am not him.  If you are a power user, then Hacking the TV aint no thang.  (and one it does it plays every open format I've ever heard of.)  Like I said, the streaming services it does not do are such a crap quality that I don't think a "power user" will care.  I have yet to hit the upper wall for bitrate, but that may be because anything that is over that limit is too big a file to download or me to want to store on the network.  I agree it's not a replacement for a Blu Ray/HDDVD player. 

The key phrase there is "has a fan".  Sometimes, in a totally silent room, you can hear the TV's HD head click back to safety position. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 01:54:55 AM »

If there is a "Typical Apple consumer" I am not him.  If you are a power user, then Hacking the TV aint no thang.

I'm really referring to a 'power user' of the entire technological landscape, one who uses any and all technologies that science has given us and exploits it for any need or whim.  Apple products are designed not to provide the most powerful or most open solution, they are designed to meet very specific design goals of having the most accessible interfaces and to provide content that Steve thinks is appropriate, and they do a tremendous job of it.  They are brilliantly marketed and designed products that do not necessarily meet the need of every geek on the planet.  And the HTPC is definitely geek territory.

(and one it does it plays every open format I've ever heard of.)  Like I said, the streaming services it does not do are such a crap quality that I don't think a "power user" will care.  I have yet to hit the upper wall for bitrate, but that may be because anything that is over that limit is too big a file to download or me to want to store on the network.

If there's a stream it can't play, it's a stream that isn't worth having.  If there's a bitrate that it chokes on, those files are larger than anybody should want.

Sour grapes much?   :P

The key phrase there is "has a fan".  Sometimes, in a totally silent room, you can hear the TV's HD head click back to safety position. 

A fan that is quieter than even a slight breeze against my windows is never going to bother me, so it's not going to bother me.  If the HVAC is running, that will be much louder.  I've never noticed it during use.  The only time I hear it is if I leave my seated position and go stand 2 feet in front of the Home Theater.  I wish I could say that about my Xbox 360 or even my (prior) PS3.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »

This might be the most boring nerd argument ever.

Splicershock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

I had to do 10 minutes of research to understand why I still don't completely understand this argument...

What I do know is that I like having more features available to me via what I already own while I sit and eat Tacos on my couch.

In other words:

Me Like Pretty Pictures that Magic Box God Give.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »

This might be the most boring nerd argument ever.

And here I was, certain that you wanted to hear my rant about lossless PCM over HDMI.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 05:52:30 PM »

Sony has no plans to put Netflix on PS3

We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows. Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content...[In regards to the Netflix streaming on NXE,] there are certainly some positives for the Xbox 360. But there's also some confusion. It goes further into the argument of "owning the content" [versus renting or accessing it].

Wow. I always joked that Sony customers were "different" than Microsoft customers, but apparently, they actually are, according to Sony. They simply just don't want to rent movies.

Which begs the question why does Sony still offer media rental through PSNetwork?
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »

Which begs the question why does Sony still offer media rental through PSNetwork?

I like them.  They're silly.

FLYING SE7EN

• Global Moderator
  • Danger. Zone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »

Anyone with a Netflix account want to shoot me a referral?  I heard that gets me a full one month trial.  Is that so?

J.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »

I sent you one, Jeff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3