Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 15, 2018, 03:43:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Games for Windows LIVE  (Read 3360 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Games for Windows LIVE
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »

Since Kane & Lynch is available via Gametap, I figured I would download and try it out. Upon first loading it, I got a message that said "to play Kane & Lynch, you need to install 'Games for Windows LIVE' - would you like to? "

I went ahead and said yes, and maybe 2 minutes later, Kane & Lynch loaded up and then gave me a 360 dashboard-esque screen which asked me to log in with my Windows LIVE ID. After doing so, it said it was downloading my profile and that took about 5 minutes. When that was done, it told me "Geese" had logged in, and I could start playing.

Hitting "Home" on the keyboard brought up the PC version of the dashboard, which showed all my friends online and allowed me to look at and send messages, and view games and achievements, etc.

Using my 360 wireless controller and headset, I even connected to a private chat with a friend on 360. The only downside, is that using the headset on PC forces ALL the game audio into the headset. Other than that, the experience was seamless.

I finished the first level of K&L, and scored my first official achievement that wasn't performed on a 360. Very cool :)

With more and more games supporting the Games for Windows LIVE (which previously had to be Vista, I think...I'm of course on XP still), I can see possibly making at least a few PC purchases over 360 ones.

Like I'd probably grab Lego Batman for $29.99 on PC as opposed to $49.99. Couple this with the ability to play on the same 42" LCD as my 360, and the ability use the 360 wireless controller, I can definitely see grabbing some (at least single player) games on PC.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Re: Games for Windows LIVE
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »

So that's what you were doing!  I noticed a new icon next to your name on my friends list in the 360 dashboard last night and had no idea what it meant.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:43:14 AM »

So that's what you were doing!  I noticed a new icon next to your name on my friends list in the 360 dashboard last night and had no idea what it meant.

Yeah, I think it was a PC/monitor icon, or something like that.

BTW - As it turns out, Lego Batman is NOT Games for "LIVE" enabled like Kane & Lynch. (at least not according to this)

Looks like there are maybe 10 titles that are right now. Oh well. (Fallout 3 is too...sweet!)

It's still kinda cool. At least I'm gonna get some achievements for K&L via Gametap!

Sparkz

• Bichon Wii-mote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:55:55 PM »

I picked up Fallout 3 for the PC and it has this feature.  Same experience with getting it set up as Geese.  I think it has the same achievements as the 360.  Pretty weird seeing a friends list on the PC.  I haven't turned my 360 on in a while, but I checked its blog today and my points showed up there, and the 360 posted something positive about me for once.  Its weird though that the game itself isn't tracked on the blog.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

I have a question about this.  If you buy a game from Steam or Direct2Drive and it's on the GFW list, can you still play it under your XboxLive/GFW handle and get achievements that way?

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »

I have a question about this.  If you buy a game from Steam or Direct2Drive and it's on the GFW list, can you still play it under your XboxLive/GFW handle and get achievements that way?

As far as I know, yes. If I remember correctly, when I installed Kane & Lynch via Gametap, it asked me to log into my Windows/Live id. So, I assume the same thing would happen with Steam or Direct2Drive.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »

Did you need to have GFW running the background first?

Maybe the games I've been running really aren't on the GFW list.  I should check that.

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »

Did you need to have GFW running the background first?

Maybe the games I've been running really aren't on the GFW list.  I should check that.

It's been quite a while since I ran it. I don't actually remember if there was something special running in the background or not.

Phantom

• View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »

I checked and none of the PC games I have are on the Game For Windows Live list.  So, that clears that up.  Thanks for your help!