Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 05:50:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bryan's old TV thread  (Read 4096 times)

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
Bryan's old TV thread
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »

Here, a place all your own.

Now you can keep your dusty old crap out of the threads discussing current television, i.e. the stuff that the rest of us in the 21st century are watching.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: Bryan's old TV thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »

I do have an old tv.  If anyone cares to buy it, I'll part with it for $125 and a burned copy of The Munsters Season one.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »

Hey Brian, are you a Netflix member? They have quite a library of classic TV for instant download, which of course is now available through LIVE. They even have a good selection of newer stuff. I was able to watch the entire first season of Dexter via Netflix instant download.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

In the only somewhat old TV department, did anybody watch Legend with Richard Dean Anderson and John Delancie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(TV_series)

I only saw one or two episodes.  It was pretty good.  I wish stuff like this was available on these services.

It was quickly cancelled along with EVERY OTHER UPN SHOW that wasn't Star Trek: Voyager.  Yep, they cancelled the entire lineup other than Trek.

As far as truly old TV goes, I like Bewitched.

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:59:25 PM »

Leave it to Beaver.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »

I'm watching "A bit of Fry and Laurie" as we speak.  It's old and I like it. 

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »

I'm watching Battlestar Galactica, Pawn Stars, Psych, Leave It To Beaver S4 and The Universe: S2 thanks to Netflix.  I may try out Grey's Anatomy if they bring S1 to W-I-N.

Also watching The Great Food Truck Race (only the finale left to watch), Chopped Champions and Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »

So, in other words, even when you're watching new tv, you watch crap?

Rubicon, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Community, Modern Family, Chuck, Dexter, Glee, Supernatural, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are all on broadcast. If you go with DVD on Netflix, you could watch Lost, The Wire, Deadwood, Friday Night Lights, Dead Like Me, Sopranos, Life, Pushing Daisies.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:55:02 AM »

Are you calling Psych Crap?

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »

Actually, I like Psych. It's pretty lite fare, but it has great chemistry between the leads, and an awesome theme song besides. And James Roday is dreamy.

Still, it's no Deadwood, is it, cocksucker?

[spoiler]I always hope people understand that's part of the joke.[/spoiler]
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

I place the highest value for my television time on sports.  I DVR sporting events that I cannot watch live and avoid scores so I can still enjoy them later the same day or night.  I record and watch at least 2-3 English and European football matches each week.  I watch at least one live every weekend - usually Everton if I am home when they are playing.  I also watch baseball (Braves preferably) and college / NFL football.  

As far as family tv goes, we watch Nickelodeon for the most part during the early evening.  iCarly, Victorious, Spongebob - the usual Nick suspects.  We also watch Food Network.  Liam is the main FN fan.  100% of the FN we watch is time-shifted.  I also prefer to play multiplayer games on Live to watching regular shows and movies.

So, that doesn't leave much time left in my entertainment schedule for tv and movies because it is filled with what entertains me.  I  value the portability, continuity and affordability of Netflix very highly because it allows me to pick things I have heard about and want to sample.  I don't have any urge to join in water cooler or internet discussion with people about what happened on X show.  I just couldn't care less.  The hollywood and network tv hype machine doesn't even register on my radar.  I don't care who survived the plane crash, what monster is chasing them around the island, or who has been voted off an island or talent show.  

I may come across a show that has been off the air for five years and find it to be wonderful.  That's great for me, because I can watch the whole thing at my own pace for a $9 monthly fee and no commercials or unrecorded episodes that I read some of you bitching about.  I am finally getting to watch the complete BSG on Netflix and I am excited about it.  I watched the first three seasons via dvd, but got tired of the effort it entailed when we switched from three discs at Blockbuster to one at a time with Netflix.  I knew I wanted to see the end of the series, but was happy to wait until it was more convenient for me to do so.  Now, it is.

I love The Office.  I have seen the first four seasons, but didn't have the time or inclination to dvr and watch the fifth season last year.  I decided to wait until it became convenient for me to watch, and voila! it is now on Netflix.  I am not following the sixth season, because I know that I can watch it on my terms, at my speed later on.  I don't HAVE TO SEE IT NOW.

So, call it what you wish, but they are my viewing habits and they work perfectly for me.  So all of you who feel the need to comment on it, please shove it up your ass.  And when you are shoving it up your ass, please put it on Youtube so I can see it later - when I want to!

I do want to watch an episode of Glee some time in the future.  From the beginning.  And don't tell me what happened in Hot Tub Time Machine.  That disc just arrived.

Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »

So, call it what you wish, but they are my viewing habits and they work perfectly for me.  So all of you who feel the need to comment on it, please shove it up your ass.

And you'll stop poo-poohing when people talk about Blu-Rays, etc.?

:P

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »

After hearing Dick Van Dyke on NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, I gave his show a chance on Netflix streaming. It's got some good laughs.