Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 19, 2019, 01:43:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bit.Trip Beat (WiiWare)  (Read 1760 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Bit.Trip Beat (WiiWare)
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »

Bit.Trip Beat is my favorite Wii-exclusive game.  It's an odd sort of spin on breakout/pong, where your job is basically to move a paddle up and down on the left side of the screen to bounce dots/balls back to the right side of the screen.  Missing a ball causes a corresponding note to drop out of the soundtrack  It's sort of Rez-ish.  If you do well, you sort of move up through dimensions where the visual and aural presentation gains layers of dressing.  If you do badly, you move down, until you eventually are playing in a literal 1-bit black-and-white presentation that literally looks like Pong era 1972 and the Pro-Logic music collapses down to simple beeps emitted from the Wiimote speaker (which is pretty wild if you've ever played an actual Pong unit, as the audio did actually come from the game unit itself and not from your television).  The contrast is stunning and the regression/progression is far trippier than you would think.  It's hard to imaging an "8-bit" sort of game that benefits more from playing in a Home Theater environment.

The control is as good as could be possibly implemented.  You hold the Wiimote in the 'left to right' orientation that classic arcade titles use, and you simply roll it forwards and backwards (yep, that's what I said).  This offers much greater precision than using a "pointer" style control to waggle the paddle (ooh!) up and down.

Here's a Youtube trailer that I'm too lazy to embed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Pl4sPurck

The only bad thing about this game is that you might have a seizure.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: Bit.Trip Beat (WiiWare)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

Hey Mike, how much does Bit.Trip Beat cost?
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: Bit.Trip Beat (WiiWare)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »

Six bucks (600 points).  It has three different chapters, each ending in a boss.  You have to beat the first to unlock the second chapter, etc.  I probably played for over an hour (in small chunks) to beat the first chapter, the second is definitely a bump up in difficulty from the first.  Replay value seems high.

It supports co-op with up to four players.