Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• March 19, 2019, 02:03:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)  (Read 2166 times)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »

I'm not even sure where to start because my feelings about this game are so mixed.  On one hand, it has good graphics for a Wii game and great for a HotD game.  The art and design are really slick, the 'grindhouse' motif fits the game very, very well.  The cinemas are fun and the characters and dialog are a hoot.  The best thing of all is the fact that the entire game is designed and balanced for home play instead of quarter-sucking arcade play.

On the other hand, the game is buggy as hell.  Twice I've had the infected get stuck behind a wall where I can't shoot them, and the game doesn't allow me to proceed.  Sometimes their scripting (really can't even call it AI) does weird, glitchy, repetitive shit that makes no sense.  The frame rate isn't solid (a real shame after HotD 2 & 3 running at 60fps), frequently the disc streaming can't keep up and you get stuttering, and there's more targeting lag than in the previous titles (due to attempts to smooth out the reticle movement).  Using a gun housing (Nyko Perfect Shot) and the reticle turned off I'm getting less accurate results than I do in Ghost Squad and the previous HotD releases, and they were only OK.  YMMV but I'm finding the only decent way to play the game is regular Wiimote pointer style (no gun housing, reticle turned on), and it's still not great (maybe Motion+ is what these games really need).

Rent before you buy.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Re: House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »

[Possible Thread Hi-jack]

Does anyone have any opinions on what the best light-gun shooter for Wii is? I'm currently debating between Ghost Squad and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (although I'm open to trying different titles as well) Right now at Gamestop Ghost Squad is $14.99 and REUC is $29.99. (I forget how much HotD is)
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »

I have not yet played Umbrella Chronicles but I hope to soon.  The public reception of it seemed pretty likewarm.

Only the Sega games (Ghost Squad, HotD 2&3, and Overkill) allow calibration where you can turn off the reticle and aim using the iron sights on a gun housing (like the Nyko Perfect Shot, the Hand Cannon, etc.).  With Umbrella Chronicles you have to use the Wiimote as a mouse and there's no option to simulate a gun

However, the precision of the calibrated gameplay in the Sega games is only so-so.  It doesn't compare to the NeGcon games on the PS1 and PS2 (Time Crisis, Point Blank, et al).  Frankly I'm souring on it and lately have opted to just turn on the cursor and target based on it and not the gun.  Maybe Motion+ will make a difference but at that point we'll be looking at new games and new gun housings.

I guess I haven't answered your question. 

I think Link's Crossbow Training is only $3 if your Gamestop has any loose (no Zapper) copies.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »

Oh, I just saw that House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns is in the sale for $20.  I'd highly recommend that, unless you played them to death on other platforms.