Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• May 21, 2019, 05:21:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)  (Read 1320 times)

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

Wendy and I started playing co-op in this last night. I now see what Mike was saying about rail-shooters on Wii (or at least some of them) being decidedly different than the lightgun games from Namco. In Umbrella Chronicles there is always a reticle onscreen that shows where your bullets will fly. It's serviceable, but feels more like playing a PC/Mouse version of House of the Dead than a light-gun game.

Luckily, that doesn't keep it from being fun. The game definitely has a Resident Evil vibe to it. And instead of a brand-new story, it just re-tells previous ones (Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 3) and lets you play from a rail-shooter perspective.

We played through the entire first story (Resident Evil 0) and it was fun to re-visit the Train and the Mansion - they look almost identical to how I remember them on the original Gamecube game.

While the game is on rails, using the stick on the nunchuck allows a little freedom in camera movement - you don't need to move the camera to play the game, but you might if you want to find all the hidden goodies/powerups. Luckily, your pistol has unlimited ammo, which makes it great for shooting everything looking for breakables.

The bigger weapons, however, have limited ammo that you can find throughout the levels. Boss battles require you to time your reloads and react to quick-time events in order to succeed.

Between levels you can use stars that you've acquired to level-up your weapons.

While I'd rather have a true "aim down the sights" game like most of the Time Crisis games for PS2, we adapted quickly to the feel of the Wii (we're using Nyko Perfect shots) and are looking forward to playing the other stories.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome