Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:37:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New PC suggestions  (Read 7276 times)

scobeto

• View Profile
New PC suggestions
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »

So, I am thinking of getting a new PC. My current PC has about all the upgrades it can take and it is out of date. Unfortunately, my PC knowledge is also out of date  :P

I was looking on Newegg and and threw this in my shopping cart.

I'll mostly use it for the ipod/pictures/internet, but wanted to upgrade the graphics so I could casually play PC games (my current setup bogs down when I play Civ 3) and I want a rig that would allow me to play some of the current gen games without spending 1.5K.

I guess I was wondering if this particular PC would do that, or if I should spend a little more on the graphics card. I don't need the games to play at 100%, but it would be nice to play a game without every setting on low.

Any thoughts?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
Re: New PC suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »

I can't see your cart.  I think there is a way to share a cart or wishlist at Newegg, but whatever you are doing now isn't doing it.

What's the card you are planning on getting?

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

I can't see your cart. 

I was afraid of that. I tried to make the wish list public, but it hasn't shown up on the public page yet. Basically:

PC

Graphics Card

PSU replacement

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »

My goodness, Windows machines are inexpensive! I don't know anything about what makes a good PC, but those numbers sure look good.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »

If you would be willing to spend up to $20 more (even less with rebates), there are ATI 4670 cards that would give you a lot more bang for the buck.

If you'd rather have Nvidia, I'd consider a 9600GT at around $35 more.

I would highly recommend these solutions over an 8400 GS.

9600gt

texture fill rate 20.8 billion
maximum memory bandwith 56gb

8400 gs
texture fill rate 3.6 billion
Maximum memory Bandwith 6.4gb

Nice interactive compare page for Nvidia cards at http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/fx/HelpMeChoose.asp

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »

Excellent.

As far as processor speed, I'd be OK, yeah? This dual core/phenom stuff is new to me. I'm guessing the 2.2 Ghz Phenom is much faster than my 2.3 Ghz P4, yes?  I have o doubt the RAM is sufficient...

I'll look into those other cards. Thanks :)

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

That's a quad core processor so at this point it's great for running multiple apps at once but until stuff like Rage and Alan Wake is out you aren't really going to be playing games that use more than 1-2 of your cores.

So for current and past games you'd be better off with a faster current two-core processor (example: Core 2 Duo E8500), but it should be more than serviceable given your stated needs.  All the current stuff like Phenom, Core 2 Duo, etc. are faster than a P4 even if the clock speed is a bit lower.

Throw in one of those video card upgrades I mentioned and you should have no problem running current games at typical resolutions.

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

Agree with Beer Monkey.  For the price increase that is the Quad Core, you won't get the use out of it to justify the expenditure. 

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »

My school is getting a decent amount of money for our tech program this year. I won't know the final number until tomorrow, but the initial estimate is $13,800. One thing I'm considering is purchasing a Windows based mobile lab. I could get 25 netbooks like the Eee PC, networked printer, cart, and software. It would take close to $30,000 for the same setup on the Mac side. Trust me, I've spoken to our local rep on a couple of occasions.

My main question is does anyone have any experience using netbooks? Are they usable for things like Office and surfing the Internet? We're talking 3rd-8th graders here, so I'm not too worried about small keyboards. But they will need to be reliable. My secondary question is does anyone have any info about where to look for bulk orders of these machines? The ASUS website doesn't have a store or a phone number for sales.

Thanks!

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:36:21 AM »

I'm about to buy an EEE PC myself (next couple of months).  But I don't have one yet.  For running Office and surfing, they should be plenty powerful.  But I don't have hands-on experience.

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »

My main question is does anyone have any experience using netbooks? Are they usable for things like Office and surfing the Internet?
Do you mean Office like OpenOffice (or google Docs), or Office like Microsoft Office? 

Their primary function is to surf the internet.  Thus the name. 

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »

Talked to the hardware guys here at work, they say netbooks run office just fine in terms of CPU but the problem is that Office doesn't work well in such a low res as most netbooks (1280x600).  Personally I'm looking for one that is 1366x768.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »

This one has a 1366x768 monitor: Acer. It's a 12" screen, but still around 3lbs. Glad to hear Office runs okay if the screen is good enough.

Another worry is that the netbook may work fine this school year, but what about next, or the one after that? I guess that's always a concern for me or any tech person no matter what they buy. In a more perfect world we'd have an empty room I could move 25 desktops into.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »

What about investing in a nice server and running RDP to thin clients, or something similar?

You could set up 25 thin client stations with kb,m & m for less than the cost of a netbook and not worry about wear and tear and aging tech on 25 different machines.  I purchased 30 thin client terminals here at work four years ago and haven't had a single issue with one of them since.  We have Wyse 1200LE clients.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »

Actually, Bryan has a good idea.

Terminals are super reliable and low maintenance.

Does the classroom have enough power outlets and amperage to handle all these systems?
Pages: [1] 2