Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 06:53:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New PC suggestions  (Read 7277 times)

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: New PC suggestions
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »

Don't sound so surprised.

And here is another option, P: Ion-based nettop
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »

Hey, I said Actually, not Shockingly.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »

Those look like cool solutions. My problem is that I don't have a space big enough for 25 desktops, even 25 nettops.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 11:14:51 AM »

You can VESA mount thin clients, which would take almost zero space.  K&M could be plugged in when needed,  stored when not in use.  I would strongly consider that over the headaches caused by wear and tear on a cheap netbook - moving part failures, 25x the Windows hassles (over the server-based solution) and the potential for drops & spills.

Getting longer use out of the tools would be very environmentally friendly as well.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

I think you guys are missing where he said mobile lab.  Bolting terminals into the wall seems like the opposite of that. 

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:43 AM »

I was referring to mounting them on the back of the monitor. 

Just trying to promote a different perspective because I have been very underwhelmed with the cheap build quality and general difficulty of use with netbooks.

Sorry P.
Albert Schweitzer

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »

I could also take another route that would require more patience. Buy 10 MacBooks this year, use them in my lab, then hope to get the same financial stimulus we're getting this year and buy 10 more. That would be enough to do 1 laptop : 1 student for half of my classes, and nearly enough for the rest. So if I cross my fingers and show a little patience, there's a chance of a mobile Mac lab.

Maybe the rumored Mac tablet will solve my problems. :)

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »

I was referring to mounting them on the back of the monitor. 
Oh.  because you said "which would take almost zero space." I assumed you mean mounting that whole operatus to the wall so that the desks would be clear unless it was time to use the computers and then "K&M could be plugged in when needed".

I too have not liked Netbooks, but I think they are a large enough category that the build quality varies.  The Dell I played with seemed to have the build quality that is equivalent to other mid-low end Dell laptops.  It's not something I would buy, but obviously most people are satisfied with it. 

If you want Apples, have you talked to the rep about refurbs? (if they do that for edu purchases)

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »

I didn't ask about refurbs. Good question. I'll send it along.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »

My primary netbook purpose is to play videos to entertain me while I work out (no, ipods and PSPs and stuff aren't big enough or flexible enough for me) and for basic browsing around the house.  I certainly wouldn't use them for road warrior purposes, but some of them seem plenty sturdy for my use.

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »

Is Windows 95 nearly 14 times better than Windows 7? If so, where can I find a copy?

Also, I never got the funding I was promised :(

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »

Big surprise, my school's been promised a $75,000 or so stimulus of funding for technology again this year. I requested a MacBook mobile lab, laptops for all the teachers, Elmos, projectors, and printers. More than two months later and I just now got three printers. Nice printers, but not exactly the $75,000 we were offered. Who knows if the rest will show up.

And just last month our school was told through long and complicated reasoning that we would be given at least $25,000 for our technology program from a different source (grant money this time). I submitted a $35,000 proposal and was told to think bigger. I then submitted a $120,000 proposal that was rejected. I'm told we'll get something in between the two. I again asked for a mobile lab, but was told it needed to be Windows. So again I ask, any input on nice mobile laptops you'd recommend for a grade 3-8 student? I'm still going to beg for a MacBook Pro for myself and I'll boot in Windows at school and Mac OS at home. Or who knows, maybe I'll join the Gates army now that Steve is dying.

Too soon?

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »

Just scored a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 at work and damn if it isn't one fine machine!  Lightning fast, very light and portable.  Win 8 newbie, so I am learning the OS a bit at a time.  I picked this to replace a 10 year old Dell tower that was down to just doing a few specific tasks.  I am very impressed with the build quality.  The keyboard and palm rests have an awesome slightly rubberized texture to them that are very pleasing to the touch (TWSS).
It definitely measures up well against my 11" MBA for ease of use and fun. 

That is all.
Albert Schweitzer

Pages: 1 [2]