Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 13, 2018, 12:23:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers  (Read 3649 times)

ChromaTick

• View Profile
Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers
« on: September 07, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »

Wizards of the Coast announced the first expansion at PAX this weekend.  It's called Duel the Dragon.

We've just returned from the Wizards of the Coast Magic: The Gathering party (where we were in the company of *NAME DROP ALERT* Wil Wheaton / Wesley Crusher / übergeek), and we've returned from the fray with tapped mana and ... information. WotC announced new DLC and a title update coming (finally) to the XBLA version of Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Duel the Dragon, the first expansion to the popular Magic: The Gathering for the Xbox 360 set, features three new decks, six more ladder levels, new challenges including "multi-turns" that require more than one turn to win, and a final boss that is strongly hinted at in the title. They didn't announce a date for the DLC except for "soon." Even sooner than that, however, will be a full title update, which includes numerous bug fixes (no more freezes!), a forfeit option, and more.

WotC execs foolishly chose yours truly to be the first to demo the new expansion, and through extreme amounts of audience help, which consisted of shouts of NOOOOO! and YEEEEEAHHHHH!, my black & blue deck triumphed over Sarkhan Vol. We'll have assets for the DLC soon, which thankfully won't include our blurry partycam shot above. Sadly the new DLC does not include deck customization, but keep hope alive.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/06/pax-2009-duel-the-dragon-dlc-coming-to-duels-of-the-planeswalke/

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
Re: Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

looking forward to this. sadly, the new version doesn't let you build decks yet, but i really like the idea of more challenges.

mildly related: anyone buying a box of zendikar?
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »

The DLC is hitting next Wed.  October 21st for only 400 MS points!

Sweet.

Three new decks, three new cards for each of the original decks, three new challenges, new co-op levels and a new single player campaign.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »

only three new challenges? bummer, but it's still better than nothing. i still replay those other ones for fun. that's pretty cheap!
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »

I was hoping for more than three new challenges too, but with everything else included and only $5, they are getting my money!

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »

The second expansion pack came out today!

With the new expansion, Magic: The Gathering and video game fans worldwide can play with new decks, experience never-before-seen challenges, and battle new adversaries. This new downloadable content will allow players to battle the ancient vampire Sorin Markov and features the following updates:

•   Three new playable decks, including Nicol Bolas’ “Eons of Evil” Planeswalker deck
•   Three new unlockable cards for each of the eight original decks plus the three decks from the first Duels of the Planeswalkers expansion
•   Five new puzzling challenge levels
•   Three new achievements
•   Host migration for multiplayer

Players can also put their spell-slinging skills to the test to defeat the new single-player campaign and unlock Rhys the Redeemed’s and Chandra Nalaar’s new Planeswalker decks.

Not bad for a mere 400 MS Points!

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:08 PM »

The third expansion is out today!

Duel Magic's troubled Planeswalker Sarkhan the Mad with this brand-new downloadable content featuring:

* Three new playable decks, including Sorin Markov's "Master of Shadows" Planeswalker deck
* Three new unlockable cards for all existing decks (base game and expansions 1 and 2)
* Five new puzzling challenge levels
* Three new achievements
* Four new Two-Headed giant local co-op levels

Players can also put their spell-slinging skills to the test to defeat the new single-player campaign and unlock Gideon Jura's and Niv-Mizzet's new Planeswalker decks.

Once again only 400 MS Points.

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »

I really wish they'd put out a classics expansion. Anything pre-4th edition.

Duels is a great game, but I just don't keep up with the real-word cards anymore. These expansions just add more cards that I'm entirely unfamiliar with. It's still fun - but for me it would be a ton more fun with a throwback set.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »

For me I just like being able to play a CCG on Live.  I was actually never much into Magic in real life.  My friends and I had a handful of cards and we played it a bit, but we were much more heavily into other CCGs that in our opinion were much better.

Duels just helps scratch that CCG itch that I don't get to do in real life that often anymore.

ChromaTick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »

The new 2012 version of the game came out yesterday and for $10 it was pretty much a no-brainer for me to pick it up.

First off the bad news:  You can't bring any of your decks forward into the new game.

That's it.  Everything else about the 2012 version is better.  It plays slightly faster, visuals have been improved slightly, load times have been shortened.  It comes with ten decks to start instead of eight.  More challenges, a new campaign, a new gametype (Archenemy), and more robust multiplayer options.

Finally, they give you a little more control over your deck building.  You still can unlock up to 16 cards for each new deck, but instead of only being able to manipulate those cards, you can add/remove ANY card from that particular deck.  Lands are fixed.  To me, this is a perfect compromise between full-on deck building and what the first version of the game offered.