Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• December 11, 2018, 07:22:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You Spin Me Right Round, Baby: Vinyl Appreciation  (Read 6704 times)

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
You Spin Me Right Round, Baby: Vinyl Appreciation
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »

How old is your friend? I think AM radio and vinyl records would destroy the minds of people listening to music today (in all its cold, compressed digital form). Get off my lawn.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »

How old is your friend? I think AM radio and vinyl records would destroy the minds of people listening to music today (in all its cold, compressed digital form). Get off my lawn.

He's about 30.

AM radio sounds worse than 128k MP3.  Hell, FM stereo has lots of issues and really doesn't well represent the source LP or CD that a station is playing.

I personally listen to higher than 128k bitrates with my own stuff that I rip, but IMO reasonably compressed digital sounds fine on the typical plastic boomboxes, car stereos, and bundled earbuds that 90% of people listen to.  The equipment is a bigger concern than the typical MP3/AAC/etc. bitrate is.

Interestingly most thirtysomethings I've been associating with lately IRL have a vinyl rig, but that's because they are pretentious hipster types (with a few audiophiles sprinkled in the mix).

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

Oh, I meant they would hate such antiquated things. I think one of the aspects that people really like about MP3s is the relative absence of background noise. Vinyl albums with their inherent snap-crackle-pop and AM stations that might not be perfectly clear are anathema to some modern sensibilities. Many CDs sounded awful in comparison to records and yet came with printed apologies for having hiss from analog sources. I'm hardly an audiophile, but I would kill to still have some of the tube amplifiers and turntables of my youth.

What's the story with modern vinyl albums being 45 rpm? I see a lot of re-issues being released at that speed. The last high-end turntable I remember owning played only at 33 1/3 rpm. 45's are for singles, man.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »

Some early CDs sounded great and some sounded bad compared to the old vinyl.  Some sounded hissy because the original master tapes are hissy and others were hissier than they needed to be because some third-generation tape was used instead of the original master.  If the hiss is on the original master the only way to remove it is to harm the music with destructive noise-reduction algorithms.  Apologies for analog sourcing was CYA and also just the industry trying to hype up digital.  Old tube amps can fetch a pretty penny these days relative to some pretty rocking solid state receivers from the 60s and 70s that can be had for practically nothing.

45rpm = more analog "resolution", hence audiophile releases at 45rpm.  Think of VHS tape.  The faster the tape turns the better the picture but the less you can get on the tape.

Here's my vintage turntable:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/93256-sugden_connoisseur_bd_2a__brand_new_at13ea_cartridge__stylus_/

Actually his may be in a bit better cosmetic condition than mine.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Interestingly most thirtysomethings I've been associating with lately IRL have a vinyl rig, but that's because they are pretentious hipster types (with a few audiophiles sprinkled in the mix).

I'm the pretentious hipster. I have had it up to here with modern Christmas music. I break out the turntable every Thanksgiving and spin the black circles until New Years Day. You can't beat a decorated Christmas tree, snow falling, a fire in the fireplace, and Bing Crosby's "Merry Christmas" on the turntable.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
Re: You Spin Me Right Round, Baby: Vinyl Appreciation
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:39:18 PM »

I thought Mike was more into the vinyl you wear...
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:42:08 PM »

I'm the pretentious hipster. I have had it up to here with modern Christmas music. I break out the turntable every Thanksgiving and spin the black circles until New Years Day. You can't beat a decorated Christmas tree, snow falling, a fire in the fireplace, and Bing Crosby's "Merry Christmas" on the turntable.

Holy shit, my grandmother was a pretentious hipster.

JTello

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »

Now that reminds me of my youth.  Bing on the record player at Christmas time.

And no, I'm not a pretentious grandmother.  ;)

JTello

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »

Strange,  the text in my last post is inside the quote box.  I tried to fix it, but had no luck.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

My grandmother actually used to play old 78 RPM records at the holidays, and they sounded awful compared to LPs.  Something about shellac being inferior to vinyl, I think.

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »

Mike knows that I luvs me my rekkids.  :D 

The 78RPM era is a whole different story.  Early 78s were all acoustically recorded, where later ones are electronic.  Some of the later ones, aside from the surface noise, were actually a decent quality.  But, they can not be played back on a grammophone.

A good LP in clean condition won't have much surface noise at all.  Some better ones of mine play back so quietly that you'd think you were listening to the tape.  :)
-= Rudy =-

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »

This is one of my favorites on vinyl:

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

This is one of my favorites on vinyl:

Wow...I just started listening to Return To Forever and Di Meola this year.  That is a good one!  I think they had that studio album together called Passion, Grace and Fire (which preceded it).

I had some unused credits at Amazon UK and CA, so I picked out a few 180g rekkids for myself.  ECM is reissuing a bit of Pat Metheny's albums on 180g, so I've got the first Pat Metheny Group album (aka "white album") coming my way, as well as the Chick Corea "Return To Forever" album (it was the nucleus of the group by that name).  I also have a reissue of Van Morrison's "Moondance" coming.  All of those plus a CD are coming from Amazon UK.

From Amazon CA, I'm getting Pat Metheny's most recent recording "Orchestrion" in a 2LP/1CD package. 

Here's the kicker: it is actually costing me MORE in shipping for getting the single item from Amazon CA than to get all four items from Amazon UK, which are actually being sent in two separate shipments (the CD from UK, and the LPs from Germany).  With the exchange rate, the shipping for the UK order was almost a dollar less than the $9.98 CDN they charged me for the Canadian shipment.  I'd thought of having Jeremy smuggle it over for me, but with gas at $3/gallon, and the added taxes, it would have cost a bit more.  (Our smuggling operations work better when we have larger items to exchange. :D  I still think the Border Patrol is looking for me up in Port Huron...)
-= Rudy =-

Rudy

• King DeDeDe
    • View Profile
Re: Re: You Spin Me Right Round, Baby: Vinyl Appreciation
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »

The Van Morrison "Moondance" LP on 180g vinyl is fantastic! One of the quietest LPs I've ever played. I had it up loud before the music started, and nearly blew myself across the room! This one is as quiet as a CD...
-= Rudy =-

iPeter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »

Nothing says hipster more than Zooey Deschanel on vinyl... So of course I had to have it. I know my original post said I hate modern day Christmas music, but this album does it right. It's a Christmas miracle!

Pages: [1] 2