Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• July 22, 2018, 01:55:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steam. On. Mac.  (Read 4423 times)

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
Steam. On. Mac.
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »

Steam comes to Mac. 

This is awesome.

Discuss.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam. On. Mac.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »

Ooh! I am intrigued.
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

Geese

• Champion of Y-Axis inversion
    • View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »

I don't have a Mac. But I can't see why this isn't a good thing. Since the preowned computer game market is pretty much nonexistent (except maybe on ebay) - I haven't felt the need to own a physical computer game in quite a while. I love that I can play my computer games on whatever computer I want - both at work and at home.

I'm not worried about eventually not being able to access my games because Steam shuts down. There's a much greater chance that I just won't want to play the games anymore by the time that ever happened.
Now Playing on XB1: Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »

I'm tempted to get TF2, then (Since they show no intrest in fixing or expanding the XBOX version…)

BTW, the real win of the story is not that they are supporting Mac, but that they are doing so on a full parity basis.  Simultaneous release, same cost for joint access to Mac and Win, retroactive access for purchased Win games, automatic dual version compiling for source games during development… 

All that's left is t see how performance suffers from auto-porting (it always seems to)

Phantom

• On a midnight train to anywhere.
    • View Profile
    • Band of Outsiders
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:51:16 AM »

What vortech said.  Especially the retroactive access for purchased Win games and transportable saves between platforms (if you use the Steam Cloud).

From what I can tell, Valve is doing native development (as opposed to emulation) for their games.  Would that go with other developers who sell through Steam? Or if they supply the Mac code, great.  If not, there'd be emulation.  Or am I making that up?

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »

I've got a Half-Life 2 code to gift to the first Mac gamer who wants it, given that it turns out that the code is valid for the Mac version.

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »

Ooh, ooh, me!
"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

What vortech said.  Especially the retroactive access for purchased Win games and transportable saves between platforms (if you use the Steam Cloud).

From what I can tell, Valve is doing native development (as opposed to emulation) for their games.  Would that go with other developers who sell through Steam? Or if they supply the Mac code, great.  If not, there'd be emulation.  Or am I making that up?
If other developers are not using the source engine, then they would need to provide a separate Mac Binary.  if not, there will be no Mac version (emulation never plays into it.)  Has Valve licensed out the Source engine?  If so people might get Mac compiles for "free" because they updated the source engine compiler to work like that, but other than that all I have seen is that Valve games are getting mac counterparts.  I am sure existing Mac (only) games will be able to sign up for Steam distribution, though. 

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »

I just got a steam notification for a new game called "Guns of Icarus".

What's interesting is that it has a little icon that looks like Apple + Windows, and it says "Buy once, get both Mac & PC"

That's pretty freaking sweet.

UPDATE - as I click more and more Mac games on steam - they all seem to have this "STEAMPLAY" icon that means you own both the PC and Mac Versions!

Nice! - If I ever had a really good reason to get a Mac mini - I think this could be it!  :)

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

You should be aware that all of the minis have onboard video. 

Geese

• View Profile
    • Geese's Dojo
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »

You should be aware that all of the minis have onboard video. 

Oh right - I'm not expecting to get the same video experience out of a mini that I do from my 8800GTS. But for lower demand things like Braid or other indie titles, I suspect it would be serviceable.

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »

Torchlight is so fucking awesome.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »

am playing torchlight and totally loving it. protip: enchanting items is a lot of fun, but sometimes fate can reset them to nothing. :\
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »

I've been absolutely loving Torchlight... until this morning, when it appears a server issue is preventing characters from loading.  The Steam forums are filled with the same report, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.  I just hope I don't lost my level 20 character because of it.

mathewh

• Site Coder
  • Hells of gaming.
    • View Profile
    • HellaBoss
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »

this was a hassle when i played it a few days ago, but i think a steam update has fixed the issue. hope so - i plan to spelunk a bit tonight.
OMG, that's so HellaBoss

Pages: [1] 2