Teh Bias

Teh Bias

• January 17, 2019, 04:08:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

I'm curious about what percentage is still unsold on it.

No PS3 - Unconvinced
- 3 (15%)
No PS3 - but want one
- 4 (20%)
I Have a PS3
- 13 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who still doesn't have a PS3?  (Read 8440 times)

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
Who still doesn't have a PS3?
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »

Bryan's joke about waiting until it was free made me wonder what the actual installation looks like, or will look like in the short term.  "Want one" is meant to cover people who generally think it is worthwhile to have one for them, but don't for whatever personal reason. 

adamsappel

• Global Moderator
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
Re: Who still doesn't have a PS3?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »

We're watching Ponyo on Blu-Ray right now. If for nothing else, it is fantastic for watching hi-def movies and is a great media server. The fact that it has great games is bonus. And yes, it has great, exclusive games as well as the equivalent multi-platform games. I've stopped holding its particular flavor of online gaming against it, just as I do for the Wii. In fact, I think what Sony is attempting to do with Home is far more interesting than anything Microsoft has done with their Avatar space. I have my complaints about it (this is me, who are we kidding?), but it's not a niche product with no discernable reason why it could be worthwhile.

"I do not come here to have my ideas and opinions stiffled."

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

I don't have one, but the new God of War makes me want one.

My TV is only 720p, so I am not sure the Blu-Ray would be a big benefit for me.

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

I do not need the level of PQ that blu-ray apparently provides - streaming Netflix is fine by me.  I am looking forward to seeing quasi-hd Netflix streaming to computers later this year.  We do not buy dvds - just renting and streaming

I could not stand the hit-or-miss Live integration that was available from developer to developer in previous years and have come to appreciate the minimums that 360 games demand.  I don't want to deal with the hassles of game to game PS3 multiplayer integration, and games on my 360 look good enough to keep me happy. 

My new 360 Elite is super quiet, which was my #2 complaint against the 360.  Everyone's #1 is how fucking unreliable the hardware is.  MS basically replacing any broken unit is enough to keep me using the damn thing.

The only title I wish I could play that isn't available to me is "The Show".  I understand it is far superior to the MLB 2K series.  I was very envious of the upcoming LA Noire,  but now I don't have to be.

The price would have to drop to near-game pricing to get me to buy one.  I don't think I would spend $99 on it because it doesn't offer anything I need.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

scobeto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

360 rulez. PS3 suX0rz

You're such a fanboy.

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »

I don't have a PS3 and I don't plan on getting one.

The bulk on my time on the PS1 and PS2 was spent in a Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo title. Final Fantasy is now on the Xbox and Forza has surpassed GT, so I don't need the latest Playstation.

Beer Monkey

• Troublemaker
  • I smell dead people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »

I love Blu-Ray.  DVD and Netflix streams look like shit to me.  It's just like how VHS looked to me after I got used to DVD.

Of course, you don't need PS3 for Blu-Ray.  You can get a Blu-Ray player for 99 bucks.  Hell, you can get a Blu-Ray player that also streams Netflix for about $130.

sean80

• Psychosocial
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

While I would like one, the only reason would be to play God of War III.  I got a good Sony Blu-Ray for less than half the price of a PS3.  I have more than enough games to play on the 360, I don't need to add more to the pile of the unplayed.  :)

fetterdave

• No Hero
    • View Profile
    • Our family website
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »

I bought one last year because I was able to knock a hundred bucks off the price by trading in my PS2, and because I love the Ratchet & Clank franchise.  I've been thrilled to play the Uncharted games, inFamous, Valkyria Chronicles, and the God of War games, but I suspect that my PS3 will continue to be a single player machine.

Oh, and even though my 3+ year old HDTV can't do 1080p, I still think the difference between Blu-ray and either Netflix or iTunes HD is stunning.

Splicershock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »

I'll pick one up eventually - I just can't justify the price right now, and I don't even have a blue-ray player.

Thing is, there are definitely PS3 exclusive games I want to play (GOWIII, Metal Gear, Resistance, Uncharted, etc.) - and I don't really care about multiplayer, I can always load up my 360 for that - it's just the bottom line that I have 1 gaming system, and I don't NEED blue-ray, so $300.00 is just not as feasible when I have other important things to spend $$ on right now...

That being said, when I'm feeling richer one weekend, or just bored, it may happen, but it may also have to wait for the next $50.00 price reduction...

Bryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • TehBias
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »

My gaming budget cannot support two consoles anyway.  Dave just listed more games for his PS3 than I bought for my 360 last year.  Plus, 99.1% of the reason I play games is for the camaraderie.  It is the rare single player game that grabs my attention: Oblivion and Mass Effect come to mind.  I have Mass Effect 2, but don't have enough gaming time in my schedule to play it now.  I'd rather be online in a fun MP game any time.
"By respect for life we become religious in a way that is elementary, profound and alive."
Albert Schweitzer

JTello

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »

I'd rather be online in a fun MP game any time.

Ditto!  It's a rare occassion these days when I find the time for single player modes.  I did just recently finish MW2 single player, but that's only because I let my Live sub run out until I could get a good deal on a new sub. (Got a year+ free last week over on Slickdeals.  :)  Now I'm back to multi-player gaming.) 

iPeter

• Man Card Status: APPROVED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »

I'd rather be online in a fun MP game any time.

Ditto!

Double-Ditto!

And if a single-player game does manage to interest me, it's really hard to get into it if I can't strive for achievements. They really do something to my brain. I don't know what it is. Take Forza for example. Once the achievements stopped, I stopped. Not only that, but I probably would have stopped even earlier if I hadn't had them to go after in the first place. Especially in November and December when I had to make the conscious decision to miss out on MW2 with the gang in order to keep racing.

It's narcissistic to say, but lack of online and achievements keeps me from playing portables as well. If I can't share the experience or 'earn something' I can stick in my tehbias signature, I have a hard time getting excited about it.

And to get way off topic here, I see this thinking being paralleled in facebook. The ability to post achievements in the various games propels even non-gamers like my in-laws to keep one-upping each other and stay online long enough to plow just one more field.

jwClark96

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »

I picked one up during Black Friday '09 at bestbuy.  It came with Ratchet/Clank: Crack in Time and Little Big Planet for $300, I also picked up the first Ratchet since I never played it.  Overall it was a great purchase and the only problem I've found is PSN sucks compared to LIVE.  Free is great but you canít chat with a friend unless you are playing the same game.  If anyone is on and wants to play some LBP or Uncharted 2 shoot me an invite - jwClark96

vortech

• Resident Grouch
    • View Profile
    • Piratenews.network
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »

PSN has Trophies, which are functionally (hah) the same as achievements. 
Pages: [1] 2 3